collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ged changed his views. . . and the team improved  (Read 15238 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Ged changed his views. . . and the team improved
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »
Although the formation has changed I don't think its as dramatic as people have made out. For large parts of the game on Saturday AY came into a central position and did well when he was there. In fact the second goal came about because he had come in from the wing and was able to pick the ball up after Downings shot was parried. I don't think that we do or should play a strict 4-4-2.

A somewhat unrelated point but its interesting how Luke Young looks a better left-back than right-back. Will it be the case that full-backs will start playing more on the opposite side - i.e. right-footers at left-back and so on - as has happened with wingers? If more and more wingers are cutting in on their stronger foot like Downing does then having a full back that can counter that on his stronger side makes some sense. L.Young being able to cut in and deliver the type of cross he did for Ben't goal is also an advantage.

Agree on both points.

Although we're playing an extra striker it is a very fluid formation that still gives Young licence to pop up all over the pitch. Th

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Luke may or may not be a better left back than right back but for the balance of the team long term I would always choose a left footer at left back.

Wingers who cut inside are going into an area of the pitch where there are more defenders so it should be easier to defend.

I like Young as a player so it would be good to keep him next season but we are desperate for a new left back, does Warnock have a younger brother who is less home sick and can stay on his feet a bit more.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »

I like Young as a player so it would be good to keep him next season but we are desperate for a new left back, does Warnock have a younger brother who is less home sick and can stay on his feet a bit more.

I'm sure Ray Wilkins would know if he did.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Obviously the improvement in results is down to the appointment of Glen Roeder.  I knew we were on to a winner there!!

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Houllier said that he prefers Ash to play behind the striker, in the extended MOTD interview that's on the net.

Exactly, so Houllier has not been stubborn and rigid, he has adapted for the sake of the team.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
He's reverted to a much more MON Villa.

The players don't attempt to pass it half as much as they have done since GH has been in charge. They get it forward much quicker.

Offline pestria

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »

The players don't attempt to pass it half as much as they have done since GH has been in charge. They get it forward much quicker.

exactly - GED tried to change too much too quickly.  Back to (MON) basics will get the team more than safe  - the time to change will be in the summer.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 12:11:05 AM »
I dont think its tactical genuis. We scraped a 1-0 win against Newcastle and beat the hammers in 90 minute.

I am glad we are winning but its nothing to do with muppet Houiller

So it's entirely his fault when we lose but nothing at all to do with him when we win??

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 12:43:05 AM »

exactly - GED tried to change too much too quickly.  Back to (MON) basics will get the team more than safe  - the time to change will be in the summer.

Spot on. I've likened GH to a Bull in a china shop when he first arrived at Villa Park.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »

Spot on. I've likened GH to a Bull in a china shop when he first arrived at Villa Park.

Yeah - you could argue he should have come to this conclusion much sooner, but I'm just glad he got there before it was too late.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »
Didn't see the West Ham game but was at the Newcastle game and form what I saw Gabby spent most of his time wide left, so I'm struggling to see where there was a change of formation.  The main change recently is that now the injuries have cleared up GH has reverted to the more experienced members of the squad, Petrov, NRC, L Young, Dunne, Collins etc., sending Bannan and Delfounso on loan , and using Albrighton, Delph and Clarke as subs or more sparingly.  I agree he tried to change too much too soon but his hand was forced a little with the injuries.

BTW Archie, I know English is not your first language but use of Americanism like "roster" instead of "squad" really grates.  I hate it when I hear Wenger talking about offensive play and players when it's always been attacking play/ players.  Savage and Barton, now they are offensive players but it has nowt to do with their attacking play.   

Offline Archie

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »

BTW Archie, I know English is not your first language but use of Americanism like "roster" instead of "squad" really grates.  I hate it when I hear Wenger talking about offensive play and players when it's always been attacking play/ players.  Savage and Barton, now they are offensive players but it has nowt to do with their attacking play.   

I really didn't know it was an americanism, sorry for my poor English mate, I won't use this word in the future if it's not appropriate!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
There's nothing poor about your English Archie.
If you want to use roster, go ahead. We know what you mean by it.
Likewise, offensive is not incorrect when used in context to mean attacking.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 01:04:49 PM »
Agree, Archie's wording is perfectly fine.  I think you're being a bit pernickity there ktvillan.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »
I dont think its tactical genuis. We scraped a 1-0 win against Newcastle and beat the hammers in 90 minute.

I am glad we are winning but its nothing to do with muppet Houiller

So it's entirely his fault when we lose but nothing at all to do with him when we win??

Under Houlllier I wouldn't say that we've won any single game as a consequence of his inspirational leadership, or tactical acumen.

Conversely we have lost plenty as a consequence of his bizarre team selections and tactical ineptitude.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal