collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ged changed his views. . . and the team improved  (Read 15248 times)

Offline Archie

Ged changed his views. . . and the team improved
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
I think it'd be interesting to discuss if the two last wins (although with average opponents) are or not consequence of some change in formation/tactics by Gerard Houllier.

Surely he has changed the formation, switching from 4-2-3-1 with Gabby exiliated on the wing, to a more effective 4-4-2 in which Gabby can have the role of protagonist that he has always had and that he deserves, as he has demonstrated with his late header against West Ham.

Apart from this, I think that other 2 factors had until now prevented us to reach the spot in the table that the value of the roster would have consented.

The first was playing a lot of players out of role: do you remember when Clark (a CB) played LB, Cuellar (another CB) RB, Gabby (a striker) winger, AJ7 (A winger) in the hole, etc?
With two fullbacks as fullbacks, Gabby upfront and AJ7 on the wing the team showed huge improvements, imo.

Obviously, another negative factor was Richard Dunne. I know that he still has a lot of fans that I don't want to offend being too harsh, so I will refrain to write my complete thoughts about this player that earns 50.000 a week despite of being one of the most error-prone player in the world. I'll limit to say that in Italian "Danno" means "Damage"  ;) (nomen omen, said the ancient Romans  ;D).

Well, at the end GH seems to have corrected something, he demonstrated that he is not stubborn like his fellow countryman Arsène Wenger that continues to repeat the same identical mistakes year by year; GH at least changed the formation that didn't work and stopped to make players to play out of role.
The next step that I expect is to see Cieran Clarke central back. . .

Thoughts?

Offline Caiphus

Re: Ged changed his views. . . and the team improved
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
I think the formation has less to do with the positive results than GH winning the game of chicken against player power and their feeling of entitlement.  I think GH finally won the battle of wills.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »
By reverting to the players' favoured formation?[/devil'sadvocate]

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
Or standing up to Young and making him play out wide not up front?

We were playing 4-4-2 essentially, but Young was not giving us anything useful. Now he is. Houllier deserves credit for having the guts to change things, and admitting he was wrong in the first place.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
I don't think you had to be anywhere near a football genius to work out that Gabby is not a winger.  Further genius was not required to know that the squad we currently have is more suited to a 4-4-2 formation for most games.  That's not to say there is anything wrong with the system that GH had us playing up until 3 or so weeks ago but what was wrong was that it wasn't effective enough.

At least GH finally realised it and made the change, where he got it wrong was the time it took him to figure that out.  This is not a climb down by the manager, it's just common sense.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
By reverting to the players' favoured formation?[/devil'sadvocate]

Not really, our best player Ash has been moved back outside, he has said he likes playing centrally.

I think Houllier needs some credit, he saw Ash, Bent and Downing playing for England and has allowed them to bring that form back to Villa, by changing the formation he preferred.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Houllier said that he prefers Ash to play behind the striker, in the extended MOTD interview that's on the net.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
Although the formation has changed I don't think its as dramatic as people have made out. For large parts of the game on Saturday AY came into a central position and did well when he was there. In fact the second goal came about because he had come in from the wing and was able to pick the ball up after Downings shot was parried. I don't think that we do or should play a strict 4-4-2.

A somewhat unrelated point but its interesting how Luke Young looks a better left-back than right-back. Will it be the case that full-backs will start playing more on the opposite side - i.e. right-footers at left-back and so on - as has happened with wingers? If more and more wingers are cutting in on their stronger foot like Downing does then having a full back that can counter that on his stronger side makes some sense. L.Young being able to cut in and deliver the type of cross he did for Ben't goal is also an advantage.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
In the past the guy who played on the left wing was usually totally left footed so would always go to the byline on his left - this meant that you played a strong right sided full back - same for the left on the opposite side of course

In the modern game most players are equally gifted in both feet and thats why they are so interchangable on each wing (its not just us that do the swap over thing)
So itmakes sense to have FB's who are comfortable inside and outside

AS for Gabby on wing - i have mentioned a few times that due to the times we have had to play kids or players out of position at LB gabby's athletism meant that there was good coverage on that side

Anyhow - was it not MON who played him on the wing for a full season

I dont think formations are that rigid anymore - i would image that most teams have trained on several types of formation and can change at anytime during a game based onscore, others teams changes etc

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »
Could it possibly be that as all first team senior players are fit and playing it is showing in our performance.?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »
Nothing to do with the  quality of the opposition after all we have been beaten by some mediocre teams home and away since January. This has to be other factors such as Houllier learning, players realising the situation, selection and tactics such as Ash playing wide, players performance such as Petrov.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
I thought that this was titled "God changed his views....."

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
I think that any time we see an upturn in form like this it's down to a few reasons:-
1.  A better formation and team selection, in particular Ash wide and Luke Young at LB.
2.  The spirit seems to be back in them that was sadly lacking previously.
3.  Dunne and Collins back at CB after their 'injuries'.

Long may it continue!

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
I think Luke Young has been great since getting back into the team,gets forward well,works well with Ash,always solid at the back. 

Hope he stays after the summer.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »
I dont think its tactical genuis. We scraped a 1-0 win against Newcastle and beat the hammers in 90 minute.

I am glad we are winning but its nothing to do with muppet Houiller

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal