collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Bad English
[Today at 03:19:14 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: British League Cup??  (Read 11438 times)

Offline The Left Side

Re: British League Cup??
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
No thanks

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 08:02:43 PM »
If their own product (hate that word) was of a better quality and more competitive, then more Scots might support their own teams than follow teams south of the border.

If anything, the Champions League and Sky are more to blame than the Premier League, as they've increased the revenues of the Old Firm clubs over the last 20 years and allowed them to pull away from the likes of Dundee United, Aberdeen and Hearts.

That's what I meant.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »
I wouldn't like a British cup of any sort I'm old school if it isn't broke don't fix it.
And what part of the current setup do you think isn't "broke"?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 09:04:51 AM »
I wouldn't like a British cup of any sort I'm old school if it isn't broke don't fix it.

I'm old school too, but it's the FA Cup that they should stop tinkering with.
As far as a  British Cup goes I am 100% in favour.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:29 AM »
I'm sure the name 'British League Cup' is just a technicality, just call it the Anglo-Jock Cup or something. As for letting Welsh / NI argument - I'm sure it would be for proffesional clubs to play i.e. only the 3 in Wales would therefore be involved on top of the English & Scottish clubs.

Anyway, I say b*llocks to them, they don't like us and useally want to get away from the English - only when we have something that would be beneficial to them. As someone mentioned the only decent matches would be against the old firm, and they can keep their sectarian shit up there, thanks.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 11:33:38 AM »

Anyway, I say b*llocks to them, they don't like us and useally want to get away from the English - only when we have something that would be beneficial to them.

As a native of England who's lived in Scotland for more than five years, I don't think that's a fair description of how things really are.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
Great.
We play Rangers or Celtic - 10,000 drunken idiots turn up.
Aberdeen or Hibs - 200 unreformed eighties hooligans.
Anybody else - the most apathy-inducing game since the Simod Cup.

Offline orkneyvilla

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
Aberdeen v Villa - yay - nearly a home game for me

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
Great.

Agreed, can't see what would be in it for the English teams.  It would be the modern equivalent of the Anglo italian cup fot its lack of interest, but more worryingly, could be the start of the slippery slope towards Scottish teams (ie Celtic and Rangers) playing in the Premier League.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
Great.

Agreed, can't see what would be in it for the English teams.  It would be the modern equivalent of the Anglo italian cup fot its lack of interest, but more worryingly, could be the start of the slippery slope towards Scottish teams (ie Celtic and Rangers) playing in the Premier League.

Yes, there's something very 39th gamesque about all this.

Offline DB

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57:16 AM »

Anyway, I say b*llocks to them, they don't like us and useally want to get away from the English - only when we have something that would be beneficial to them.

As a native of England who's lived in Scotland for more than five years, I don't think that's a fair description of how things really are.

I lived up there too for a couple of years. My impression is different.

Offline lordmcgrath5

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »

Yes, there's something very 39th gamesque about all this.

Surely the 39th game was entirely different.  Presumably, you would play your home games at your home ground, i.e. not in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or wherever. And even your away games would still be in Britain, wouldn't they? So no, no comparison whatsoever with the 39th game nonsense.

Offline lordmcgrath5

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
[quote author= I lived up there too for a couple of years. My impression is different.

Sorry to hear that. Where were you? You do hear some depressing stories from some parts of the country.  My feeling is that it's not bad at all if you're English in Glasgow (i.e. some banter but generally very friendly), possibly a bit worse in Edinburgh and that it can be unpleasant in and around Aberdeen as well. Not been to Aberdeen myself, mind, so this is just based on what I've read in the papers now and then.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:46:46 PM by lordmcgrath5 »

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
[quote author= I lived up there too for a couple of years. My impression is different.

Sorry to hear that. Where were you? You do hear some depressing stories from some parts of the country.  My feeling is that it's not bad at all if you're English in Glasgow (i.e. some banter but generally very friendly), possibly a bit worse in Edinburgh and that it can be unpleasant in and around Aberdeen as well. Not been to Aberdeen myself, mind, so this is just based on what I've read in the papers now and then.

Probably helps that I am a quarter Glaswegian, but I've always got on well with the Scots when I've been up there.

Offline DB

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »

Probably helps that I am a quarter Glaswegian, but I've always got on well with the Scots when I've been up there.

I agree, the ones who I knew throught my then missus were great, but did get a lot of abuse in pubs from strangers. This was Glasgow and Edinburgh. Just a question, but if they had something that we (English) wanted in on, do you think they would let us in? Let's forget North Sea oil...ahem...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal