collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 06:29:30 PM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by Beard82
[Today at 05:54:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent - 'Scoring and Villa playing well is all that matters'  (Read 13917 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Bent - 'Scoring and Villa playing well is all that matters'
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
sportinglife.com

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent admits he feels sorry for former club Sunderland following their latest defeat.

The Black Cats have lost eight of their 10 Premier League encounters since Bent departed in a £24million move back in January.

That poor run of results has seen Steve Bruce's men plummet down the table, where they currently sit 15th and only five points clear of the drop zone.

England international Bent, who has scored six goals in 11 games for Villa and was on target in their 2-1 victory at West Ham on Saturday, is hoping his old employees can salvage their season.

Asked whether he has any sympathy for his former club and team-mates, Bent told the Daily Mail: "Of course. I had good times there. I never want to see them struggle and do badly so hopefully they'll turn it around.

"It's disappointing to see them doing badly but, at the same time, as much as I'd like them to do well, I'd like Aston Villa to do even better.

"All I can do is keep concentrating on Aston Villa."

Bent has been pleased with his progress at Villa, who are unbeaten in three games and ninth in the standings.

"It has gone really well," he added. "I'm playing more regularly for England now and scoring goals for Aston Villa.

"I've had to (see my price tag as a positive). I've used it as a burden before when I moved to Spurs for big money and it weighed me down. But, to be fair, this time around I thought I would just get on with it.

"Obviously people can keep saying what they want to say but as long as I keep sticking the ball in the net and Aston Villa keep playing well and winning games, that's all I care about, to be honest."

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Bent - 'Scoring and Villa playing well is all that matters'
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
"Obviously people can keep saying what they want to say but as long as I keep sticking the ball in the net and Aston Villa keep playing well and winning games, that's all I care about, to be honest."

And us, Darren!

Offline Mac

• Heroes And Villains
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
And he'd have 10 goals now if he took pens and it wasn't for shite officials

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »

Absolutely.   

Offline Merv

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
I mentioned on a different thread earlier today - all the pundits and journos who had a field day when we signed Bent in January - too much money, panic buy, why is Bent quitting Sunderland's chase for Europe for Villa's relegation battle - have gone very very quiet now. I know with Bent we were almost signing guaranteed goals but even so, he's been very good for us.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Bent has been even better than i thought he would be. And if he had took that penalty at Bolton we would be well clear now .......

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
I mentioned on a different thread earlier today - all the pundits and journos who had a field day when we signed Bent in January - too much money, panic buy, why is Bent quitting Sunderland's chase for Europe for Villa's relegation battle - have gone very very quiet now. I know with Bent we were almost signing guaranteed goals but even so, he's been very good for us.

I wonder what Stanley Collymore has to say about the move now? Bent cant be far behind Stan's goal total for Villa.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
My personal wish for the season is for us to finish above Sunderland if only to silence the critics who questioned Bent's motives to move to a lower placed club. 

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »
My personal wish for the season is for us to finish above Sunderland if only to silence the critics who questioned Bent's motives to move to a lower placed club. 
This should be a probability rather than a possibility after last 3 games, Sunderland to go down? Like them as a club normally but it would be amusing given the disparaging comments about the respective clubs in Jan.

I wonder what Stanley Collymore has to say about the move now? Bent cant be far behind Stan's goal total for Villa.

Yep, one behind. Isn't it nice when a record signing lives up to the billing for a change?

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 02:37:01 PM »
Stan should seriously put his hands up and admit he got it wrong. Bent has been a dream. And if "i am the bollocks" Young had let him take the penalties, he would be even more prolific .......

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
This should be a probability rather than a possibility after last 3 games, Sunderland to go down? Like them as a club normally but it would be amusing given the disparaging comments about the respective clubs in Jan.

I have nothing against Sunderland either, but it's their spud-faced manager that shot his mouth off and him I'd like to see get relegated.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »

Absolutely.   

You can't call the officials shite because they got a marginal decision correct. Sounds like Jimmy Greaves when he realised Deano's goal against Small Heath was onside, but said the linesman should have flagged because he shouldn't have been able to tell.

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
I had a bet with a Sunderland over here that we would overtake them when we signed bent. They were 12 points above us at the time. He was rather angry at the weekend with my nose rubbing. I just couldn't see them scoring without bent

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
I am really really glad we signed Darren Bent he is a goalscoring machine just what we have been missing for a number of years I think he will get 25 goals next season hopefully 30 with the right players brought in I'm happy that we have him on board with us.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Scored a few more than Torres

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal