collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wembley debate  (Read 19126 times)

Offline tim

Re: Wembley debate
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »
I think it should be remembered that unlike the days of old, supporters are no longer only based in the town/city that the team are from. TV coverage has opened things up to many more people than the fathers walking down to to the ground with their sons on a saturday afternoon. Fans of teams now populate all corners of the country - world, even - so there will always be a neccessity for many to travel somewhere. 
Admittedly the distance from the home teams ground for this game is substancial but it's daft to think that everyone will be travelling down from up north.
Also saying the the game should be in the Millenium Stadium for instance is no better than Wembley, surely?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »
I think it should be remembered that unlike the days of old, supporters are no longer only based in the town/city that the team are from. TV coverage has opened things up to many more people than the fathers walking down to to the ground with their sons on a saturday afternoon. Fans of teams now populate all corners of the country - world, even - so there will always be a neccessity for many to travel somewhere. 
Admittedly the distance from the home teams ground for this game is substancial but it's daft to think that everyone will be travelling down from up north.
Also saying the the game should be in the Millenium Stadium for instance is no better than Wembley, surely?

I don't know what the exact current figures are but there was an academic analysis done a few years ago that showed 78% of Man City fans and 72% of Man Utd season ticket holders come from the North West.

They should hold the semi-finals at the most suitable neutral venue. It shouldn't always be Wembley regardless of which teams are playing and it definitely shouldn't always be Wembley for the convenience of people who choose not to support their local team.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »

For me it has nothing to do with the travelling, more that Wembley should be the Holy Grail for reaching the final. Playing the semi-finals at Wembley dilutes the magic somewhat. So Millennium Stadium would be fine for me.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »

For me it has nothing to do with the travelling, more that Wembley should be the Holy Grail for reaching the final. Playing the semi-finals at Wembley dilutes the magic somewhat. So Millennium Stadium would be fine for me.

this, this, this

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »

this, this, this

Agree with DC as well.

That said, my best ever semi memory was at Wembley. 1996 it was, a few seconds after the ball left Savo's foot.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
Also it has nothing to do with football, its all money. The wrong money. It goes to business'. It should go back to clubs. Not just Villa park but how about Hilsborough, bet sheff wed would love some of that money

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal