collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa, 100% genius - Danny Baker now on Twitter  (Read 23329 times)

Offline Pete

0% Villa, 100% genius - Danny Baker now on Twitter
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
The great Danny Baker joined Twitter this week (username prodnose), and has already made it twice as enjoyable. Sample posts:

"Zonal marking can only work if the other team have previously agreed to only Zonal attack."

"My mind's a-whirl. If Torres took a penalty against Gomez...there could be no resolution. The physical world would just implode."

Fantastic to have him back, even though it is temporarily only text-based.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: 0% Villa, 100% genius - Danny Baker now on Twitter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »
It's good to have him back,that gives me a reason to join up.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
How's he doing?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:07:24 PM »
I wish he'd stayed on 606, the show has gone down hill since he left.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
I wish he'd stayed on 606, the show has gone down hill since he left.

The largest understatement ever.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »
Can I ask what happened in the last decade?  I'm sure at one point it was all the rage to consider Danny Baker a cockney wanka with a loud mouth.   Now it seems people can't get enough of him - oh, and he's a genius.

Is it just that all the other football media today is so bad, or was he not such wanker after all?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 01:22:10 AM »
Can I ask what happened in the last decade?  I'm sure at one point it was all the rage to consider Danny Baker a cockney wanka with a loud mouth.   Now it seems people can't get enough of him - oh, and he's a genius.

Is it just that all the other football media today is so bad, or was he not such wanker after all?

I can never remember any time when Danny wasn't considered an all-round top man.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »

Baker has never been a cockernee wanka.  The guy is just about the best broadcaster of his generation, genuinely talented and certainly with more to him than just being a football supporter.  And yes the rest of the football media, The Fiver aside, is mediocre and banal.

Then again if you're up against the combined efforts of Darren Gough, Mike Parry and Robbie Savage then its not too hard to look like a genius.   

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 03:12:30 AM »

I can never remember any time when Danny wasn't considered an all-round top man.

Fair enough and to be fair I've never had a problem with him, but for some reason I don't remember him being received quite as universally as he is now.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 04:03:37 AM »
Baker and Kelly's "University of Turmoil" was the funniest thing I've ever heard on radio. No reason why someone describing a newspaper picture should have been but that's the genius of the man.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 07:43:33 AM »
He is a genius and one of the few original football humourists of his generation.

As for his health my younger son worked with his bosom buddy Chris Evans and tells me that Danny's health regime is very demanding to put it mildly.

It makes all the more amazing the sheer joyfulness of the man.   Top, top man.   

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
Some people were born to be on the radio and Baker is one of the few that are still broadcasting.

Radio is now full of TV stars, comedians and ex reality TV people who have no broadcasting skills whatsoever but are employed on name only.

A prime example is Zoe Ball who is covering for Ken Bruce on Radio 2 this week. her idea of entertaining radio is to talk about her husband and fucking famly all morning.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:07 AM »
Baker and Kelly Upfront on a Saturday lunchtime still remains the best radio I have ever heard.

Where's my bowtie....

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »
Baker and Kelly's "University of Turmoil" was the funniest thing I've ever heard on radio. No reason why someone describing a newspaper picture should have been but that's the genius of the man.

"I Fear Change!"

I've loved the guy ever since I first heard him on Radio 5's breakfast show about 20 years ago. I hope he enjoys a full recovery and returns to amuse us for many more years.

He's returning to his BBC London show next Monday - I must remember to try and listen on t'internet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal