collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Collins - 'Best changing room spirit ever.'  (Read 10654 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Collins - 'Best changing room spirit ever.'
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
sportinglife.com

James Collins admits Aston Villa's current plight is unacceptable but insists their team spirit and togetherness will help them ensure Barclays Premier League survival.

Villa have been embroiled in a relegation battle in recent months although Sunday's 1-0 win against Newcastle courtesy of Collins' header moved them five points clear of the bottom three.

But central defender Collins has rubbished speculation that the dressing room has not been completely united.

Collins, who will face his former club West Ham on Saturday at Upton Park, said: "The sprit has never been in question. I can say that this is the best changing room I've ever been in.

"The lads are great together, everyone gets on, and we are all fighting for the same thing.

"No one wants to be in a team that has been relegated. We showed great spirit out there against Newcastle."

Collins added: "For a club of Villa's size it would be disastrous for everyone to go go down.

"For any team in the Premier League, relegation is a disaster but Villa is a massive club. To be in the position we are in, is not acceptable.

"We know everyone hasn't performed and we need to step it up to the way we performed last season.

"We set out before the Everton game last weekend on an eight game season and we've got four points from the first two of those matches which is massive.

"It was a big win on Sunday but we don't want to get carried away and hopefully we can take confidence from that and get three points at West Ham."

Collins and defensive partner Richard Dunne were disciplined for their behaviour towards members of the coaching staff during a recent team bonding session.

But the pair were key to Villa's success last season and Collins believes they are getting back to that sort of form after injuries.

He said: "What's gone on in the past couple of weeks is done and dusted with now.

"We are professional footballers. We'll always try our heart out and perform and be as professional as we can.

"We weren't outstanding defensively at Everton but managed to get a good point.

"But in the second half against Newcastle, we showed some of what we did last season.

"I am concentrating on performing on the pitch.

"It is what I get paid to do and that is what I'm trying to do, trying to get back to the form I showed last year - and repay Villa for signing me and spending a lot of money on me."

Collins has been dogged by a long-term calf problem but is hoping he can be available for the rest of the campaign.

He said: "It has been frustrating for years now. I did my cruciate ligament at West Ham years ago and since then I've been having little niggles in my calf I can't quite get over.

"They keep recurring. It is something we are looking at behind the scenes here and, fingers crossed, I'm over it and I can play the remaining games."

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
Re: Collins - 'Best changing room spirit ever.'
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
Hmmmm.....

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:03:30 AM »
mind , I heard ex Villa Steve Watson saying he knew a few Villa players and said He hadn't heard any problems in the dressing room..

Offline JUAN PABLO

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
p.s problem better with likes of Carew, Ireland and Warnock no where near.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:08:35 AM »
Collins: "Best changing room spirit ever - Vodka!"

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
I'll bet it's been better since those three (and Beye) haven't been involved with the first team.

From what i've been told, Ireland is a constant moaner and whinger, nothing is ever right for him.

Offline JUAN PABLO

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »
I'll bet it's been better since those three (and Beye) haven't been involved with the first team.

From what i've been told, Ireland is a constant moaner and whinger, nothing is ever right for him.
[/quote

could you imagine being marrried to him , when his hair started to fall out  ;-)

Offline JUAN PABLO

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:12:52 AM »

could you imagine being marrried to him , when his hair started to fall out  ;-)

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »
Edit
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:15:28 AM by Rip Van Bentfletch »

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:15:02 AM »

I bet he went to church for 3 weeks on the trot, moaning at God and threatening to transfer to a Jewish Mosque.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »
He said: "I have been frustrating for years now. I did have a good game once at West Ham years ago and since then I've been shit, and its the £5m Villa paid for me I can't quite get over.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »

I bet he went to church for 3 weeks on the trot, moaning at God and threatening to transfer to a Jewish Mosque.

I've heard he prefers Islamic synagogues.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
 If he gets sold in the summer,those quotes were probably all b.s.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:22 PM »
Think Collins is underestimated. He made a mistake and has been professional and effective in an attempt to put it all in the past ......

Offline jembob

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »
Perhaps it's true that the players get on together really well but there has clearly been a problem behind the scenes this year. He didn't mention what the relationship is like between squad and coaching staff and this may well be the issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal