collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov looking to prove Houllier wrong  (Read 10789 times)

Offline hartman_1982

Re: Petrov looking to prove Houllier wrong
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
If we keep Petrov we will be paying him 50k+  per week to sit on our bench.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 10:31:44 PM »
If we keep Petrov we will be paying him 50k+  per week to sit on our bench.
Because that's what is in the contract we gave him.

If they were both out of contract I wouldn't be suggesting we then offer him that contract. Which is what we would need to do with NRC.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »
Stan does an important and much under-estimated job for the team. Its no surprise to me that his first game back in the team coincided with our first clean sheet since the Man City game (when he also played). He may not be the fastest player around the pitch, but his footballing intelligence is absolutely vital, and something that NRC simply doesn't possess (despite his committed hard work). I'd be pleased for our younger players to learn from him over the next couple of years even if he doesn't play every game.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »
i'd probably get rid. He's on the way out and 50k a week for someone who may not figure every week seems daft unless RL is gonna pay that and fund a replacement. whether he'd want to leave is another question

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
Stan does an important and much under-estimated job for the team. Its no surprise to me that his first game back in the team coincided with our first clean sheet since the Man City game (when he also played). He may not be the fastest player around the pitch, but his footballing intelligence is absolutely vital, and something that NRC simply doesn't possess (despite his committed hard work). I'd be pleased for our younger players to learn from him over the next couple of years even if he doesn't play every game.

I agree with that assessment of him as a player, but his on the pitch contribution is diminishing as he still needs to be mobile and his legs are going a bit.  I think that NRC would give us more than him next season, so that's who I'd keep if it's a straight choice.   

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:10 PM »
Petrov is not a 90 minute player we all know that. But he brings a lot of control and stability in midfield. He draws fouls in good positions and has an eye for a pass. He also so happens to be our captain. We have to get rid of him or NRC or both and Petrov has much more to offer in my books .....

Offline Merv

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
But then Petrov is 32 this summer and Reo-Coker is 27 in May, so that's a factor in any decision. You could give NRC a new three-year deal and get three really good years out of him; Petrov perhaps one more season.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
Sorry, I'm not being hoodwinked by one decent game.
For the vast majority of the games he's played in this season he has faded badly, been completely outmanouvered in midfield and left the defence exposed and has done little except pass sideways or backwards and to players in a worse position than himself.

Despite his flaws, NRC not only offers more but has offered more this season.
And yes, I'd rather see neither in the starting line up but if I had to trust one to have a run in the team (and I suppose that's the point isn't it?), it would have to be NRC.

But dont get me wrong, I'm not for one minute suggesting we offer NRC a bumper new contract at all. He would have to be realistic and accept he is a supporting figure.
And even though Petrov has a couple of years left on his contract, I just dont see how he will be of any use to us during them, therefore get whatever we can for him and wish him well.
Neither should be ahead of Delph, Makoun or most likely whoever comes in this summer.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »
Opinions opinions.

Poor old Stan - he's never been loved at Villa Park - yet the numbers show that we do better with him on the pitch than without him. 

NRC is indeed an energetic - pacy - hard tackling dynamo - sadly finding a colleague with a pass is his big weakness.  Combine this with his Vassell-like ability to sprint forward and then fall over or generally lose the ball and he becomes very one dimensional.  Especially as we are talking about horses for courses.  NRC may well be a better player (though I don't think he is) - but what he isn't is a playmaker.    We have Jean Makoun to do the hussling and hassling and to play the simple pass - we have wide talent - and striking talent - but we need that central midfield vision also.  That's why we went sniffing round Charlie Adam.  This is GH talking about the Newcastle game and Petrov to Teamtalk.

"When you are in the position we are in, you need experience... I knew we needed someone who could make a long pass to switch play because Newcastle are very good at defending and squeezing up."

That is the only criterion on which to have this discussion.  It's not Petrov or NRC.  It's Makoun or NRC because they are the going to do the digging work.  We need a visionary central player - Scott Parker would have been ideal and I would have loved it to be Barry B - but that is for next year.  Our attacking pace needs a good ball to thrive - and whatever qualities Mr Coker does have - silky passing skills and the sublime long ball are not among them. 

He may not be the world's greatest playmaker - but right now Stan is the best we've got and he's served our club well.

So UTV and another win at Upton Park.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
Opinions opinions.

Poor old Stan - he's never been loved at Villa Park - yet the numbers show that we do better with him on the pitch than without him. 

NRC is indeed an energetic - pacy - hard tackling dynamo - sadly finding a colleague with a pass is his big weakness.  Combine this with his Vassell-like ability to sprint forward and then fall over or generally lose the ball and he becomes very one dimensional.  Especially as we are talking about horses for courses.  NRC may well be a better player (though I don't think he is) - but what he isn't is a playmaker.    We have Jean Makoun to do the hussling and hassling and to play the simple pass - we have wide talent - and striking talent - but we need that central midfield vision also.  That's why we went sniffing round Charlie Adam.  This is GH talking about the Newcastle game and Petrov to Teamtalk.

"When you are in the position we are in, you need experience... I knew we needed someone who could make a long pass to switch play because Newcastle are very good at defending and squeezing up."

That is the only criterion on which to have this discussion.  It's not Petrov or NRC.  It's Makoun or NRC because they are the going to do the digging work.  We need a visionary central player - Scott Parker would have been ideal and I would have loved it to be Barry B - but that is for next year.  Our attacking pace needs a good ball to thrive - and whatever qualities Mr Coker does have - silky passing skills and the sublime long ball are not among them. 

He may not be the world's greatest playmaker - but right now Stan is the best we've got and he's served our club well.

So UTV and another win at Upton Park.

Excellent post.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
Agreed.

Spot on, sonlyme.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal