collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How big a derby is Coventry for us Villa fans?  (Read 47810 times)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: How big a derby is Coventry for us Villa fans?
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
You could but it was difficult to travel away in those days to not see the potential for trouble around you as Chico has pointed out.  Even if you chose to go by coach or in a mates car or with a mate in his Dad's car the motorway services at times could also be tricky places at times with coaches from many different clubs parking up in the same place. 

Having not been on a football coach for many years do they still ban football coaches at services?

The official Villa coaches always stop at a motorway services, and quite often coaches from other clubs turn up at the same time. Whether this applies to non-official coaches or not I'm not so sure

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »
I think it was part and parcel of the 70's and 80's if you went looking for it. There were occasions when it was difficult to avoid, but it doesn't mean you had to join in. In all the years I've traveled away with Villa, I've never had so much as a scratch. The example of that Cov fan is unfortunate and I'm sure that there are many examples of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I honestly believe that now, as then, you can't find trouble if you don't want it.

I disagree, I found untold trouble during the 80s as a young man without ever looking for it. But it was part of going to the football, and it I still go now and take my children.

Take off the blinkers. It is what it was. No complaints here.

No blinkers here. I saw plenty of trouble in the 80's at football grounds. The trick was to go nowhere near it, if at all possible. There were hairy moments, like walking back to the train station from Highfield Road , but I opted not to wear colours away from home and kept my head down outside of the grounds. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
I think it was part and parcel of the 70's and 80's if you went looking for it. There were occasions when it was difficult to avoid, but it doesn't mean you had to join in. In all the years I've traveled away with Villa, I've never had so much as a scratch. The example of that Cov fan is unfortunate and I'm sure that there are many examples of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I honestly believe that now, as then, you can't find trouble if you don't want it.

I disagree, I found untold trouble during the 80s as a young man without ever looking for it. But it was part of going to the football, and it I still go now and take my children.

Take off the blinkers. It is what it was. No complaints here.

No blinkers here. I saw plenty of trouble in the 80's at football grounds. The trick was to go nowhere near it, if at all possible. There were hairy moments, like walking back to the train station from Highfield Road , but I opted not to wear colours away from home and kept my head down outside of the grounds. 

That was generally the best course of action to take, but it wasn't always a guarantee.  A lad I was at school with ended up a steel plate in his skull after he was set on by a bunch of Arsenal fans/hooligans.  He hadn't even been to the match, he was just visiting a mate in North London and they jumped him walking back to the tube and gave him a kicking.

Offline eastie

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
Did he write another one today or just use the same one?

thansk for the pic. just used it to wind up a couple of Cov friends

The guy in the pic now lives in australia , he was on the radio yesterday and has written a book about coventry city apparently.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »
There was a park being the Cov end at the old ground with a little mound in it. They used to stand on it chanting 'chop, chop, Pork chop Hill'.
I always found the best approach was to approach the ground from the other end. You could go in a couple of pubs there with no trouble. However, the walk back to the station was dodgy.

Offline greenwichvilla

« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
Did he write another one today or just use the same one?

thansk for the pic. just used it to wind up a couple of Cov friends

The guy in the pic now lives in australia , he was on the radio yesterday and has written a book about coventry city apparently.

Maybe that's a sign he made before he moved there and it's a message to his mum
That the family will come home. As oppose to their return
To the Premier League.

Offline eastie

« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
Richard keys just tweeted that coventry owners sisu have threatened to liquidate the club rather than go into administration- confirmed by john mutton cov council leader who own the ground.

Rent not been paid for ground and huge debts all over the place with no assets as the ground isnt theirs.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:32:51 PM by eastie »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
They have spent years hating various clubs, looking for 'rivals' and someone who cares about them. We would be their number one choice followed by Blues and Leicester but provided results go right in League One at the weekend they might finally have found someone. Walsall. And to think that after all those years of making up the numbers in the top flight their 'journey' to the lower leagues began at Villa Park.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »
Richard keys just tweeted that coventry owners sisu have threatened to liquidate the club rather than go into administration- confirmed by john mutton cov council leader who own the ground.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal