collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Points lost from winning position  (Read 6245 times)

Offline NorthYvillan

Points lost from winning position
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
Heard this interesting stat yesterday:

"Aston Villa have lost 23 points from winning positions this season"

If we had held on to half of these we woud be in 6th position not scratching around in the lower reaches of the table.

Taken with the performance yesterday can anyone doubt that it is our defence that needs a major overhaul this summer? For me we need a new keeper; at least one centre back, but probably two; and a left back of proven pedigree. We can probably get by at right back with Luke Young and Carlos Cuellar.

Offline VillaZogmariner

Re: Points lost from winning position
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »
We've only won about 3 from losing positions too.

Offline glasses

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:05:23 PM »
Considering we had one of the best defences in the league last season, its odd that we have become so leaky this season at the back.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »
Considering we had one of the best defences in the league last season, its odd that we have become so leaky this season at the back.

When you consider that last season's regular back 4 is still there but either not played or have had fallings out with the coaching staff, I don;t think it's odd just poor management.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »
I find it baffling that we can be so good one season then the next the defence is rubbish.

Offline glasses

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »
I agree John.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
Think the defence has been much less reliable this year but also think not having the likes of Milner (and to a lesser degree Petrov this season) protecting the defence has been a factor.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
I think a couple of factors have been applicable

Firstly the defense that was strong was bought and based on being big ugly buggers that were stoppers first and defenders 2nd. At times MON would have 4 CH's lined up across the back and row Z was always an unsafe place to sit. Now that GH is trying to get them to play it out from the back you can see that they are just not comfortable with the system. Another factor is stability - due to so many injuries it has hardly been the same 4 for 2 games running - defenders have to gel together and know each others games - not only have we had kids in there but even kids played out of position.
Which brings me on to another point - Midfield - the same factor in as much as the amount of kids we have played in the middle of the park - not one of them (Bannan / Hogg / Albrighton / Herd / Delph / Clark) are 10st wringing wet so they have been overpowered and out muscled a few times   - Most premiership teams are filled with big bastards nowadays and this has meant that if a forward play has broken down the opposition are at our back 4 in an instant and have been pulled from pillar to post

I am sure the summer will see a whole new set up in both positions

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
Good points Hookeysmith.

I would add to that by saying we used to man mark and now seem to zonal mark. Defending set pieces you now see us line up in a certain way and I don't think we're comfortable at that either. Dunne, Collins and Cueller strike me as lads who like to pull and drag, out muscle/out jump an opponent. I think this zonal marking lark is a bit beyond them. Also, they're not good enough on the ball to play the game Houllier wants.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »
I would add to that by saying we used to man mark and now seem to zonal mark.

It was MON who bought zonal marking in though right?

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »

When you consider that last season's regular back 4 is still there but either not played or have had fallings out with the coaching staff, I don;t think it's odd just poor management.

And professionalism on the players' part.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
I find it baffling that we can be so good one season then the next the defence is rubbish.

The only difference is the manager.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »

The only difference is the manager.
And loss of best player.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »

And professionalism on the players' part.

That has had a bearing undoubtedly, but has their been poor performances due to discipline problems or the other way round?  For me it's noticeable that the players didn't start acting this way until he came in, so although not an excuse it's another sign of weak leadership as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
That has had a bearing undoubtedly, but has their been poor performances due to discipline problems or the other way round?  For me it's noticeable that the players didn't start acting this way until he came in, so although not an excuse it's another sign of weak leadership as far as I'm concerned.
I've a feeling that Dunne would have been as atrocious under any manager this year. He came back in August in absolutely terrible shape, which shows his unprofessional attitude was there prior to GH being appointed. I remember seeing him at the West Ham game, and noting how bloody overweight he was.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal