collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Finding a striking partner for Darren Bent  (Read 28882 times)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Re: Finding a striking partner for Darren Bent
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
Hulk from Porto would be great if have the cash to splash.

Can the hulk bring his manager with him too?
Andre Villas Boas looks like being the next Special One. He's only 34 or something crazy but has been coaching since he was 17 after impressing Bobby Robson when they were neighbours. Half English too. Not sure whether he'd want to join Villa though.

Imagine if we pulled that one off. Villas Boas that is.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:55 AM »
aye. it was a good goal. but he doesn't score them sort of goals every week. in fact he hardly ever scores those sort of goals,. Most of them are pretty direct and rely on his pace

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »

Did you see his goal from the edge of the box yesterday?  Nothing about pace in that.  Just pure quality.

As I was posting three years ago, he's got everything. Some of his passing is sublime, beats players with skill and has excellent technique when shooting. Has decent pace, but he's not super-quick like Gabby, Lennon or a young Owen.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:08:25 AM by Percy »

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 12:51:54 AM »
Isnt Sturridge a Villa fan? I would say a Zola-esque type player is what Villa need, the runs Bent makes around the box are unnoticed by our players. Luc Nillis before his accident would of been fab, so would of Benito Carbone, but nowadays there just doesnt seem to be those little magicians anywhere unless you have £50 million burning a whole.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:07:25 AM by Tuscans »

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:47 AM »
Isnt Sturridge a Villa fan? I would say a Zola-esque type player is what Villa need, the runs Bent makes around the box he makes are unnoticed by our players. Luc Nillis before his accident would of been fab, so would of Benito Carbone, but nowadays there just doesnt seem to be those little magicians anywhere unless you have £50 million burning a whole.

was gonna say the same myself, but like you couldn't think of one.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 01:13:36 AM »

What we need is to find a cross between Peter Beardsley and Alan Shearer.

As easy as that eh?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 01:18:43 AM »

What we need is to find a cross between Peter Beardsley and Alan Shearer.

As easy as that eh?

If it were possible I can't even begin to imagine how ugly the offspring of those two would be!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 01:34:33 AM »
Sturridge had a chance to come here before and opted for Chelsea.

Can't blame the lad, but it does seem to indicate that this notion that he'll automatically opt for us or would be happy to take a pay cut to have the honour of playing for his boyhood side (as was mentioned on another thread) might be just a touch fanciful.

If we stick with 4--5-1 it's unlikely it will be Bent who drops out, so Sturridge being on the Villa bench when he could do the same at Chelsea might not be the best of career moves. If a club like Bolton can virtually guarantee him first team football, he'd be as well to opt for them.

I might take pelters for this but someone like Shane Long might be more realistic for that kind of bit part role. Still young enough to develop, we'd be a step up for him, and he might be content to get 15-20 minutes here and there and a few cup matches in his first year or two.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 05:03:03 AM »
Bent is one of the best positional strikers you will see, his movement is second to none. what he needs is a top midfielder who can thread balls through to him, Ash tries but he always over hits them.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 06:15:22 AM »

Can't blame the lad, but it does seem to indicate that this notion that he'll automatically opt for us or would be happy to take a pay cut to have the honour of playing for his boyhood side (as was mentioned on another thread) might be just a touch fanciful.

I agree. Not sure about this boyhood club thing either, didn't his dad play for the Dark Side?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 06:33:42 AM »
We don't.

Play an attacking midfielder behind him who can link up play. Gary Gardner or Barry Bannan can play the role if they answer their significant potential.
Is the right answer.
I wouldn't be writing Gabby off either. He can play the Bent role and we'll need players who can interchange in a 4-5-1 system.
If we were looking for a striking partner for a 4-4-2, Sturridge is already overpaid, isn't he? I've shouted Kalanic's attributes on here before and rate his movement and guile.
Will Andreas Weimann make it?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:38:01 AM by EffDee »

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Personally I think a (non mental) Stephen Ireland would be brilliant for Darren Bent.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »

I agree. Not sure about this boyhood club thing either, didn't his dad play for the Dark Side?

If his dad is Simon then yes, easy to lose track of them though. ;)
Its one of Simon, Dean and another Sturridge (who I think played for Notts County around the same time), I'm pretty sure of that much.

Part of the reason Sturridge jnr opted for Chelsea was down to his uncles experience in the game according to reports at the time. They'd been messed about financially and Daniel was advised to earn as much as he can as early as he can.

Sturridge jnr is meant to be a Villa fan (as is Dean) but -like Lescott- it wasn't enough of a pull to make him join us when the chance was there. I wouldn't mind seeing both in C&B at some stage though -  preferably not at the twilight of their careers.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:54 AM »
I'm not sure who should partner Bent but i do know it shouldn't be Agbonlahor. Nice (but dim) lad, but a shit footballer.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
Hulk from Porto would be great if have the cash to splash.

Can the hulk bring his manager with him too?
Andre Villas Boas looks like being the next Special One. He's only 34 or something crazy but has been coaching since he was 17 after impressing Bobby Robson when they were neighbours. Half English too. Not sure whether he'd want to join Villa though.

Imagine if we pulled that one off. Villas Boas that is.

Tottenham are after him to replace Rednapp

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal