collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is there an alternative ?  (Read 10191 times)

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
Re: Is there an alternative ?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 07:51:20 AM »
A pedant writes:

Principal – (adjective) first or highest in rank; (noun) a chief or head

Principle – (noun) an accepted or professed rule of action or conduct

I await the invective.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »
I think we do need to improve and we will in time the North Stand will hopefully be replaced in the not too distance future but naming it the Prince William stand i wouldn't wan't that.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
We should either look to compete at the top as a business or bugger off to the conference as a football club.

Fucking around in mid table - or fighting relegation - at post-SKY prices is no future at all.

I don't like the idea of a Prince William stand either. Although if we were to enlarge the Witton Lane stand no doubt it would have to incorporate a tunnel for the road. We could compromise and name that one after his mother.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
I don't like the idea of a Prince William stand either. Although if we were to enlarge the Witton Lane stand no doubt it would have to incorporate a tunnel for the road. We could compromise and name that one after his mother.

That's tremendously harsh.

Fucking funny, but harsh.

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 10:00:02 AM »
ok, I'll cancel the Prince William Stand.

instead, and in the spirit of including the fans, I would suggest a vote for Villa's all-time best player who the stand wold be named after.

A committee including the clubs owners, team captain, fan representatives and club historians to come up with a shortlist of 5 names.

Fans can vote at each home match they attend in a season at electronic touch screens set up inside the ground.

Oh, and while we're at it. I would like to see us return to Acorns sponsorship. FXPro isnt worthy of our team.

A good idea not to have too much democracy with the vote. Otherwise we'll end up with the John Carew stand.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
Oh, and while we're at it. I would like to see us return to Acorns sponsorship. FXPro isnt worthy of our team.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did. Especially if we go down.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 04:07:59 PM »
At what point did we develop this curious idea that competing is beneath us, as is sponsorship?

Is the Villa Way to promote ourselves as a latter day Corinthians?

John touched upon it earlier, but when you set a target you more often than not fall short.  If our amended target is to coast and just make up the numbers, and we fall short of that we'll be facing more seasons like this one.

We couldn't keep the likes of Barry and Milner despite looking like one of the better sides in the league at that stage. You can see with just one bad season even the likes of Ashley Young has doubts about fulfilling his ambitions here.

Setting out our stall not to compete will mean that the likes of Albrighton, Bannan and Delph- if they're good enough- will soon be planning an exit strategy too. If they're supposed to form the core of this new approach, what then?

Offline Archie

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
Nice point, IF Walters, but would you still admit overseas fans or not? :-)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »

So long as your Villa heritage can be established, ie born/family relationships/lived/living/  within the Lozells, Halford Drive, Church Lane,Aston Cross boundaries then you should be Ok and not considered a glory hunting sort.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »

So long as your Villa heritage can be established, ie born/family relationships/lived/living/  within the Lozells, Halford Drive, Church Lane,Aston Cross boundaries then you should be Ok and not considered a glory hunting sort.

That's me fucked. Can I have some sort of second-class associate supporter status?

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 10:52:49 PM »
I really like the idea of having players play for the Villa who actually care about the club rather than some of the overpaid, over rated tossers who don't give a shit who are currently wearing claret and blue. I also like the idea of paying £10 a ticket and sitting in a massive crowd. Maybe with that price I might be able to afford to come with the kids in a few years time when they're old enough.
Let's be honest, we're not going to win the league any time soon unless things change drastically in football. I feel for our owners, they're trying to do it right but the problem here is football and not necessarily Villa. I'd like us to make a stand against the way football is going because I no longer love it.

(I type this watching the golf on the tv rather than match of the day)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »

That's me fucked. Can I have some sort of second-class associate supporter status?

Certainly for you Dave.......for the appropriate fee!

I'll leave it to others to decide what that should be

Offline Diablo

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »
Some really interesting ideas. Although I've gotta say I think the idea of the Prince William stand is horrific!! Now a David Cameron stand and a Michael Jackson statue on the other hand  well.....

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
Ive cancelled the PWS so nothing more to say about that.

Re the vote for the stand name, I did add that FIRST a committee of those who know and care about the club's history should come up with the 5 names on the shortlist. A committee say of Woodhall, Lerner, HDE, Laursen etc. Names like Waring,McGrath, Mortimer etc...

Now in terms of the playing staff I am not saying we wouldnt pay top whack for top players - the kind of player I would like us to sign is Daniel Sturridge - local and scellent. Is he worth £80k a week - NO - offer him £50k and the HONOUR of playing for his local team. If he doesnt value honour then he's not worthy of the shirt.

Listening to some of the comments on here is like listening to a bunch of debt-addicted governments 4 years ago - THE ONLY WAY IS SPEND !!! I dont want Villa to become the next Leeds

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Now in terms of the playing staff I am not saying we wouldnt pay top whack for top players - the kind of player I would like us to sign is Daniel Sturridge - local and scellent. Is he worth £80k a week - NO - offer him £50k and the HONOUR of playing for his local team. If he doesnt value honour then he's not worthy of the shirt.

Yeah, I can see that working a treat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal