collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is there an alternative ?  (Read 10267 times)

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
Is there an alternative ?
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »
Its 5pm on Friday so time to shoot the breeze.

Is there an alternative future for Aston Villa ?

It seems to me that there are a set of clubs in the PL all out to achieve the same holy grail ; CL qualification and the riches that offers. It also seems to me that 3 of the 4 berths are fairly guaranteed to Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea and that the 4th is down to Man City or Spurs. We have been close to a challenge last year but it seems that the amount now needing to be spent is beyond Randy's finances.

So I would propose an alternative ; a club centred on its fans and its locality. By this I mean :
a) trimming the squad and wages so that the club pays its way.
b) which goes with (a) - continuing to develop our youth set-up as a cheap way to build talent for the team
c) focusing player buying on british and wherever possible Midlands talent
d) a new North Stand, the Prince William Stand with a Museum underneath and extension of the Witton lane over the road - a 56,000 seater
e) Follow the german league and set ticket prices at absolute rock-bottom ; £10 a game for all stands except the Trinity. Make watching football what it used to be - mass entertainment. 2/3 of Villas' revenues arent matchday anway
f) set our sights on achieving the best in the league and especially the cups, and establish the 'Villa way' of football - fast entertaining and energy (kind of like when you see Arsenal play they have a way of doing it)

I think if the owner did these things and made it clear that Villa was firstly part of our city and region and not a 'global brand' then a lot of the enjoyment would come back to the place. It would be returning to our roots and values and not trying to be another Chelsea or Man City - they have sold their souls.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Is there an alternative ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
Crikey.

I don't know what's more barmy, the Prince William stand, or expecting 56,000 people to come and watch a team made up on youth products and local players get relegated.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
Ulster?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Alternative
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:27:33 PM »
If ever they rename it Prince William Stand I might have to put a Suspect Device in it.

Offline IFWaters

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 05:28:40 PM »
Crikey.

I don't know what's more barmy, the Prince William stand, or expecting 56,000 people to come and watch a team made up on youth products and local players get relegated.

I disagree that the ONLY thing that drives attendance is your league position. So many people now feel alienated by the prices , the 'like a church' atmosphere and the lack of any connection with the players who seem to have no loyalty to the club, city , area whatsover.

Are you saying there is only one way ? Its Champions League qualification, players on 80 grand a week and executive seats or nothing ?

A metropolis like the West Midlands should be able to support one club with gates of 50,000

Offline Hale

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »
On the playing front we should be bold.

How many teams in the premiership have blooded so many youngsters in one season!
By my reckoning the following had not started a premiership game before this season (Clark had only started 1);
Lichaj, Baker, Herd, Hogg, Bannan, Delfouneso, Albrighton. Weiman & Gardner may have been added to list if not long term injured at start of season.

IMO this should be the future whatever division we play in next season. Add a couple of leaders on the pitch. Get rid of all the moaners & complainers (and reduce the massive wage bill at the same time).

No Stephen Ireland nor Joey Barton - good footballers they may be but the Villa of Johnny Dixon, Dennis Mortimer et al should not be sullied by them.

UTV

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »
I think IFWalters raises some excellent and interesting points, we need to set some new objectives if we cant realistically reach/compete with the top 4, we dont want to become a feeder club to the big 4 but somehow we do need to reinvent ourselves

Excellent out of the box thinking

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »
I am on crack and this thread is too serious for me.

Offline Rico

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:18 PM »
Great idea! I'd be happy with a cup every year or two and a passionate home grown team. Make thẹ city proud!. Top idea.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
There would have to be a lot of people suddenly become aware of the smoke and mirrors of the PL and decide to set their own agenda for "success".

We would need a tipping point of consensus. I for one would look to a more ethical and inclusive future where fans are recognised as a part of the club in more than words...

To be respected, achieve and fail with grace (but still win something occasionally) while enjoying the release of the game is an aim I can agree with.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 11:10:27 PM »
All this is very well, but as we've seen lately, once we're seen to stop 'competing' I'm Not Renewing My Season Ticket takes over.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Alternative
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 01:07:31 AM »
Sadly, the chances of the team that charges £10 to get in winning much are slim. As for the Prince William Stand, either that's a wind up or fuck off. Sorry.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:35 AM »
I'm all for the £10 bit, but Prince William Stand? Nothing against the guy, but what's he done to deserve that suggestion?

If the North Stand is ever replaced the new structure should be called The Witton End - nothing else.

Offline IFWaters

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 07:12:47 AM »
ok, I'll cancel the Prince William Stand.

instead, and in the spirit of including the fans, I would suggest a vote for Villa's all-time best player who the stand wold be named after.

A committee including the clubs owners, team captain, fan representatives and club historians to come up with a shortlist of 5 names.

Fans can vote at each home match they attend in a season at electronic touch screens set up inside the ground.

Oh, and while we're at it. I would like to see us return to Acorns sponsorship. FXPro isnt worthy of our team.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 07:33:05 AM »
The problem I have with this is that in modern football not moving forward is moving backwards and aiming to be a mid table PL team is a recipe for relegation.

If we get these young local players in the side, an idea I'm in favour of in principal, then not goign on to pay them the going rate will see them leave.  OK, we could re-invest the money, but again unless we're paying the going rate we'll end up with 2nd rate players coming in.  As I said - recipe for relegation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal