collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:41:56 AM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:41:17 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:40:35 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where is our Harry Redknapp?  (Read 9003 times)

Offline mrbrightside

Where is our Harry Redknapp?
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
First of all, this is not a slag Houiller thread, I'm sure we are all sick to death of those type of threads. Personally, i think we need to back him until the end of the season and ensure our Premier League safety. But, at the end of the season the board needs to make a very big decision.

Our squad is very strong we finally have the mythical '20 goal a season man' in Darren Bent, we have some excellent young-prospects and in Marc Albrighton one of the most exciting, young talents in the league. However, our manager has not found the right combination and I am not convinced he ever will.

When Spurzzzz appointed Harry Redknapp they had an outstanding squad (Bale, Bent, Dawson...etc) but the managers they had, Santini, Ramos could not for one reason or another get them to perform. We find ourselves now in a similar position, it is quite frankly that the squad we have is in the position we are deservedly in. Yes Jimmy Milner is a fantastic player, and yes MON was a great motivator but neither of them were THAT good!

We need a manager who will get the best out of our very good squad who will get us to play like a Premier League team, with power and pace. Modern football is built on counter-attacks and set-pieces and MON knew this and built a team that was very, very good at them.

We have a good defence, Dunne, Cuellar, Collins even Warnock were bloody brilliant under MON and fan favourites but now the majority of them have become outcasts. Why?

Vilal need a manager similar to Redknapp who understands the Premier League NOW not the Premier League 6-7 years ago because things have changed.

I would love to see us go for Owen Coyle but i can see why people are suggesting people like Allardyce, Redknapp didn't have a reputation for amazing football before he went to Spurzzz. I just see Allardyce as a man who does a job with what he has got. I mean Blackburn and Bolton are tough jobs and he got Bolton into Europe and consoldiated Blackburn after Ince destroyed them and look where they are now!

I know it is a bit of a left-field choice but i see someone like Neil Warnock as a potenital Redknapp he is old enough now to have a great knowedge of the game and could see it as his last big chance, he would certainly get the players playing for him and would have us competeing again in derbies.

Up the Villa

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Where is our Harry Redknapp?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
We need somebody to sort the defensive mess out.

That means either getting Dunne and Collins onside and back into form, or fucking them off at the end of the season.

We also need another quality midfielder to go with Makoun, then Petrov and Delph can be the understudies.

Also a replacement needed for Ashley Young.

Then ship out the expensive dross, such as Warnock, Ireland and Beye.

Other than that, there's not too much wrong.

The truth of the matter is that we're in the position we are due to the ineptness of the Manager and his coaching staff, we could live with that, but Houlliers occasional foot in mouth remarks tend to put a bug up arses and put us on a downer.

We've still got a lot of good quality in our squad, just needs fine tuning with about 4 signings and a change of direction with the coaching.

Offline mrbrightside

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:04:46 PM »
I agree that despite our league position we are not that far away from having a really good team BUT we could easily be relegated this year and then we would be in real trouble. If we were mid-table i think we would all be prepared to write the season off as transitional but i am very worried about relegation.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »
but i am very worried about relegation.
Same here.
I'm sweating like Woodhall outside a pay toilet.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
You can't be worried, your Mr Brightside afterall !!

I would simply ask the question WHO?

There isn't anyone out there which is why we ended up with houllier all along. I'm not convinced by Coyle ok He's doing a decent job at Bolton but its a job with no pressure attatched to it. Villa is a completely different kind of animal.

I'm very meh on Moyes as well

Offline Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »
If Redknapp is the tactical genius everyone thinks he is, how come he hasn't replaced a keeper that is guaranteed to produce a ricket every game he plays?

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »
If Redknapp is the tactical genius everyone thinks he is, how come he hasn't replaced a keeper that is guaranteed to produce a ricket every game he plays?

You could say the same about wenger but you wouldnt call him a bad manager just because of the keeper

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
I think Gomez is a decent keeper, at least he comes for crosses

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
Let's wait & see how good Mr Redknapp is over the next few weeks hey

Offline ormskirkvillan

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »
It would have to be either Moyes or Coyle for me.  Moyes has done a great job at Everton, but unless they can get investment then he has clearly taken them as far as he can.  The only negative is that I have a fair few Everton supporting mates who complain about the style of football he plays and I can see this becoming a problem with some at Villa after a while.  As for Coyle he has been a success wherever he has been and he plays a good brand of football.  If he took over at the end of the season there would be little pressure on him next season as this squad should easily be capable of finishing top 8-10, and given the way this season has gone that would be acceptable progress, this would give him time to mould the squad in the way he would want it.  Think I'd go for Coyle, young progressive manager to go with our young progressive squad.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »

You could say the same about wenger but you wouldnt call him a bad manager just because of the keeper

Also wouldn't call it a tactical problem. Playing Bale on the right when a) his preferred angle is the left and b) Marcelo was always just going to drive him back was a tactical mistake.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
I see Gomez like David James. Great shot stopper. He's brave, he comes out and will take a gamble, hence sometimes a glaring clanger. For probably 95% of the season you get a great keeper.
I like him and I liked James.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:11:35 PM by Ian J »

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
If he keeps us up,he's gonna be given another few months. He's been guilty of trying to change things too quickly,but if he gets rid of the rest of the deadwood,and the ones who are causing trouble in the squad this may bring a new fresh positive air to the squad.

It seems that the younger and foreign players are happy with the new training methods and style of play,and with his supposedly new transfer policy to kick in during the summer things could settle down for the best.

Then again....

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
Also wouldn't call it a tactical problem. Playing Bale on the right when a) his preferred angle is the left and b) Marcelo was always just going to drive him back was a tactical mistake.

Eh? Bale played wide left against Real.

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:19 PM »
Not really the time or place for this discussion right now, let's save it till the seasons over, right now we need to get fully behind the manager and players and get out of this mess and then see where we are in the summer and where we go from there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal