collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pires keen to repay Houllier  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Pires keen to repay Houllier
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
sportinglife.com

Veteran midfielder Robert Pires is determined to help repay Gerard Houllier's faith in him by helping Aston Villa stay up.

It has been a season of struggle for the Midlanders and they sit just two points clear of third-from-bottom West Ham with six league fixtures remaining.

The capture of the 37-year-old former Arsenal man was seen as a gamble by the ex-Liverpool manager, although his experience has proved a useful addition.

Pires is grateful for compatriot Houllier for giving him another shot at life in England's top-flight and he is now as determined as ever to help them finish the campaign on a high.

"I really appreciate what Gerard did for me," he told the Daily Express. "It was a gamble. But I will make it a winning gamble.

"The challenge now really excites me. There are still plenty of fixtures before the end of the season and we plan to finish on a real high.

"It's amazing for me to be at such a club, with such a reputation. I am honoured the manager and the board thought of me and wanted me.

"The most pleasing thing for me is the fact they never mentioned my age. They just wanted me to show what I can do and give the team my experience.

"Gerard told me my experience was important. It was the perfect situation for me.

"The supporters aren't used to seeing their team near the bottom. I want to ask the fans to have confidence in the team. We need them. They need us too. Together we are stronger."

Offline The Man With A Stick

Re: Pires keen to repay Houllier
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »
Has there ever been a football who's talked so much yet offered so little?  Does he give daily press conferences or something?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »
There are still plenty of fixtures before the end of the season and we plan to finish on a real high.

Let's just hope they do aswell.

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
I d completely forgot about him !! But maybe he may come up with that one piece of genius that will win a game for us

Offline Merv

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
Shit. Only six league games remaining, according to Sporting Life. What happened in the Newcastle game, did we win?

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »
Shit. Only six league games remaining, according to Sporting Life. What happened in the Newcastle game, did we win?

No, we lost, so sacked Houllier and appointed Roeder to keep us up.  Where have you been?

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »

No, we lost, so sacked Houllier and appointed Roeder to keep us up.  Where have you been?

Don't even joke about it mate!! Just don't! That would be nightmarish. Well...more nightmarish than the current situation anyhow.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 05:17:32 PM »
I thought he was good against Blackburn , shame GED didnt start him against Wolves ..

Offline levico

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
The only way he can help us stay up is to pretend he is injured for the rest of the season.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Has there ever been a football who's talked so much yet offered so little?  Does he give daily press conferences or something?

I think he's keeping his doors open with the media and fancies himself in a bit of  a Ginola role once he hangs them boots up

You watch he'll be on Coach Trip before June

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
Pay Houllier back? Cheque please.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »
Would love to know how much we have paid Pires and what that equates to in £ / per minute played

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
I thought he was good against Blackburn , shame GED didnt start him against Wolves ..

Agree. He hasn't let us down in the last few outings he's had. It's not his fault he doesn't get picked very often or that we are in the shit. Just don't understand some of the stick he gets. Unless it's for his "running".

Offline pelty

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 06:15:22 PM »
Pires is a waste of a nice, cushy seat on the bench. The sooner we see the back of him, the better. He offers NOTHING to the team... well, he offers an expansive midfield to the other team, but nothing to the Villa.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 04:34:23 AM »
Pires is costing bugger all, he is on a low salary with appearance bonuses.  He's had his uses.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal