collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last game of season  (Read 13139 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Last game of season
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
I'd be a lot more confident if we were able to string a few clean sheets together and make the amount of goals we score worth more than a point.

Two at home to Fulham, two away to Bolton and Everton and yet only two points to show from that lot.

There are games where we're just going to be shite, you accept that (this season, one of those infamous 'seasons of transition' that Tottingham used to specialize in). But playing quite well and not getting much for it is actually more concerning. If good teams can play badly and still win, what do you say about teams that play well and can't?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »
my survival thoughts have allways been based on not needing anything from the last 2 games, I dont think this team and management have the stomach fot it. We have to get out of this now starting on Saturday,

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
When I played at a decent level, the bloke who played up front with me used to say, if we can score 2 goals in a game we should win

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:04 AM »
Is there any footage on the net of the home game against Liverpool during the Holte's 'last stand'?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »
if we need points by the liverpool game then we probably deserve to go down.. On the plus side, the bindippers won't have anything to play for anyway.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 07:04:40 AM »
I think we should put out an understrength team so we can rest the players for the preseason friendly against Walsall.

What a ridiculous statement. Shouldnt we be concentrating our resources on our defence of the Peace Cup at that time ?

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »
I think we should put out an understrength team so we can rest the players for the preseason friendly against Walsall.
What a ridiculous statement. Shouldnt we be concentrating our resources on our defence of the Peace Cup at that time ?
Nah, club of our stature don't win trophies.  We're too good for that.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »
What ever happens this season will be interesting to see if they do a "Lap of honour" on the final day

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 08:14:14 AM »
They will but there won't be many watching it

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:33 AM »
Here you go, mindless optimism and all that but I seriously wouldn't be surprised if, by the time we play them, if we beat them, we could finish near to them, maybe not above, but neat.

I know it sounds poppycock, but I honestly think we will have a good end of season.

3 against Newcastle , Wigan, West Ham and Stoke, 1 against WBA, 0 Arsenal - beat Liverpool - 50 points

I think we may have turned the corner, we looked better on Saturday, lets face it, our best player since January - Walker, had a mare, hopefully he won't again. Now the club have actually realised that Young is a winger - Downing is back in form, and Dazza is starting to bang em in again - I don't even think we will be close to relegation.

Prediction

9th

So you think we'll win 5 of our last 7, having won 6 of the last 26? Just a tad over-optimistic.

If we get 8 points from our last 7 games I'll be delighted.

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
The Holte's Last Stand vs Liverpool was interesting firstly, it was a good comeback against them, but more than that there were a few 'entertaining moments'. The massive Villa flag that was paraded at Wembley for the CCCF was outed again at the start of the game only to be torn to pieces by the top left of the Holte. That admittedly was not entertaining for a few people (and caused a flurry to write in to The Evening Mail) but was something to experience having been underneath it. Not behind it! 

Then at the end of the game, efforts were made to stop the Holte getting on the pitch. By the last 15 minutes the rear of the stand had converged to the middle and lower sections. So at full time a cordon of coppers and stewards formed a horizontal line and it was working until someone in the cordon broke free and legged it halfway up the pitch. It looked like a supporter had been in the cordon disguise donning a yellow jacket and had waited for his moment. I do have a photo of that somewhere actually! But did anyone else see that?

Then afterwards Big Ron came out with the trophy (and Mic) and people were just singing Big Ron, Big Ron Atkinson (to the tune of Go West).

There were people gathering bits of the Holte End for commemorative reasons and i did wonder at the time what the bloke with an authentic Holte End bog seat was gonna do with it, moreover who he would impress with it.

Also, the issue of H&V for that day was excellent and remains the best one i have ever read.

So far...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »
I think they'll seal our relegation, then Houllier will run into the Liverpool crowd to magically disappear like at the end of Escape to Victory.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
The Holte's Last Stand vs Liverpool was interesting firstly, it was a good comeback against them, but more than that there were a few 'entertaining moments'. The massive Villa flag that was paraded at Wembley for the CCCF was outed again at the start of the game only to be torn to pieces by the top left of the Holte. That admittedly was not entertaining for a few people (and caused a flurry to write in to The Evening Mail) but was something to experience having been underneath it. Not behind it! 

Then at the end of the game, efforts were made to stop the Holte getting on the pitch. By the last 15 minutes the rear of the stand had converged to the middle and lower sections. So at full time a cordon of coppers and stewards formed a horizontal line and it was working until someone in the cordon broke free and legged it halfway up the pitch. It looked like a supporter had been in the cordon disguise donning a yellow jacket and had waited for his moment. I do have a photo of that somewhere actually! But did anyone else see that?

Then afterwards Big Ron came out with the trophy (and Mic) and people were just singing Big Ron, Big Ron Atkinson (to the tune of Go West).

There were people gathering bits of the Holte End for commemorative reasons and i did wonder at the time what the bloke with an authentic Holte End bog seat was gonna do with it, moreover who he would impress with it.

Also, the issue of H&V for that day was excellent and remains the best one i have ever read.

So far...

Without turning this thread into "all our yesterdays", that day remains one of my finest memories. I hope this years home fixture against the same oppostion is unremarkable in every way.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 09:28:50 AM »

So far...

Without turning this thread into "all our yesterdays", that day remains one of my finest memories. I hope this years home fixture against the same oppostion is unremarkable in every way.

I've never forviven my sister for getting married that day, and me having to miss the Holte's last stand after having stood there for years!

Offline Merv

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »
I think they'll seal our relegation, then Houllier will run into the Liverpool crowd to magically disappear like at the end of Escape to Victory.

It's just struck me. What if this whole thing has been orchestrated by Liverpool, deliberately planting Houllier here to destruct Villa and remove us from the top six (they have taken our place in 6th after all)?

It all makes sense now... the links to O'Neill, who quits suddenly to make way for Houllier, Houllier (and G-Mac) arrive, cause mayhem... meanwhile, Liverpool move Hodgson on so he goes to a relegation rival, reinvigorates them so they finish above us, Houllier takes us down. At the end of the season, O'Neill is appointed Liverpool boss, Houllier gets a permanent place on the Anfield board and Kenny Dalglish, who masterminded the whole plot, is installed as Liverpool owner.

Fiendishly clever strategy from Liverpool.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal