collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Questions for Gary Shaw  (Read 11777 times)

Offline asgpaul

Re: Questions for Gary Shaw
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:13 PM »
Which of the Villa managers appointed to manage the club since his departure from the game would he have liked to have played under??  And which one is he glad he didn't!!!!!!!

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 12:16:24 PM »
What was your favourite goal?

What was your most important goal?

Offline oodman

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 12:30:30 PM »
do you remember a little lad you used to play golf with at Harbourne Golf Club, with unmanageble hair ? THAT WAS ME :-)

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »
Do you ever see ads on TV for company's like Claims Direct and think of suing Ian Bowyer (or was it John McGovern, I always get them two confused).

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 01:17:24 PM »
Not really a question but a good story...

I bumped into Gary Shaw just the other week in Azim's Balti house in Lozells of all places, on the Saturday night after we'd lost to Wolves.

He'd been to the game and was in an advanced state of refreshment, as were we. Anyway he's a proper Villa fan to the core, he called me over for a chat when I said hello (he was out with his Mrs and mates so certainly didn't have to do that) and spent a few minutes talking about the good old days (although I was a nipper when he played, but he was my first footballing hero), and was good for a few stories.

The best bit was when he talked me through Withe's goal in Rotterdam using small pieces of broken Poppadom for the players, sliding them accross the table as he recreated the goal using an Indian starter!

We then sang a couple of Villa songs (he, bizarrely, started off the "Carlos Cuellar Villa centre half" song), and we left him be.

An all round top man. And I swear to God that's a true story, although the next morning I did have a "did that really happen?" moment.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
I'm so looking forward to this tonight. I used to be Gary Shaw in the playground at school. I've met him before in the Green Man in Harborne, he is indeed a top top bloke. I'll try and get some pics up tonight!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
Would you ever consider going into management, top bloke is Gary Shaw a true Legend.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
Would he swap anything he did achieve for an England cap?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
Not really a question but a good story...

I bumped into Gary Shaw just the other week in Azim's Balti house in Lozells of all places, on the Saturday night after we'd lost to Wolves.

He'd been to the game and was in an advanced state of refreshment, as were we. Anyway he's a proper Villa fan to the core, he called me over for a chat when I said hello (he was out with his Mrs and mates so certainly didn't have to do that) and spent a few minutes talking about the good old days (although I was a nipper when he played, but he was my first footballing hero), and was good for a few stories.

The best bit was when he talked me through Withe's goal in Rotterdam using small pieces of broken Poppadom for the players, sliding them accross the table as he recreated the goal using an Indian starter!

We then sang a couple of Villa songs (he, bizarrely, started off the "Carlos Cuellar Villa centre half" song), and we left him be.

An all round top man. And I swear to God that's a true story, although the next morning I did have a "did that really happen?" moment.

Great story Marlon

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
Agreed. Right up there with Lee's tale of bumping into Darius in a chippy somewhere outside Telford.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 02:27:42 AM »
What do Gary think of media lack of respect to Aston Villa in general.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 03:54:26 AM »
Is there any truth in the story that Maradona asked for Gary's shirt?

He says it it's true so I see no reason to disbelieve him.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
Which of the Villa managers appointed to manage the club since his departure from the game would he have liked to have played under??  And which one is he glad he didn't!!!!!!!

The second part of that is almost impossible to answer given the number of choices....

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
Great night Dave, although I'm outta pocket but well worth it. Gary is a genuine nice bloke and you can tell that he has a lot of love for the Villa.

Hope the next few nights that you have are as good and raise some more much needed cash.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »

The second part of that is almost impossible to answer given the number of choices....

Bizarrely he said that it was Graham Taylor and even used the "T"word, but perhaps he was playing to the crowd a little, as he didn't really expand on that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal