collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 11:01:42 PM]

Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[Today at 08:43:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 11:01:42 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 11:00:13 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The insanity of Premiership football  (Read 16792 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: The insanity of Premiership football
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
Isn't this one of the reasons Houllier was appointed? too late to do anything permanently this season but if we stay up i expect many of the average players on high earnings to be gone and a regime of a few highly paid players with youth and foreign imports to make up the rest, whatever Randy is he isn't stupid.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
Aye, he should have gone after Sunderland and he should have gone after Wolves. But if he's still here at the end of the season and we're still a top flight club I imagine he'll be given the Summer to continue his good work.

Because his transfer activity so far (in and out) has been pretty good.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »
Aye, he should have gone after Sunderland and he should have gone after Wolves. But if he's still here at the end of the season and we're still a top flight club I imagine he'll be given the Summer to continue his good work.

Because his transfer activity so far (in and out) has been pretty good.

I sincerely think the only thing Houllier has got right so far is the signing of Bent. If there was a way of getting another manager in after the Sunderland game and still signing him, that would have been perfect.

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 12:57:35 AM »
Meanwhile, spare a thought for the poor, underpaid managers...

Hodgson earned £45,000 a day at Anfield after whopping £7.3m pay-out for just six months work

Roy Hodgson was given an astonishing £7.3million pay-off by Liverpool after his six month reign at Anfield.

The manager may not feel he had a chance to shine with Kenny Dalglish in the background, but he was compensated handsomely.

When Fenway Sports Group bought Liverpool in October they were reluctant to look for a new manager and the pay-off Hodgson was due must have come into their thinking.

The golden goodbye means Hodgson earned £8.8m in total during his time at the club, which works out at £45,833 for each of the 192 days he was in charge.

He was back in work by Valentine’s Day at West Bromwich Albion — and inflicting more pain on his former club with a 2-1win.

It cost Chelsea £12.6m to jettison Luiz Felipe Scolari and his assistants in 2009 and Mark Hughes is thought to have been paid £3m after his sacking by Manchester City.

But it is not just the biggest clubs who are paying for changing their minds about their appointments. Sam Allardyce, who was paid £3m after he was sacked by Blackburn last December, received the same when he left Newcastle in 2008.

(Mail Online)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 02:03:04 AM »
And doesn't that look a great bit of business by Blackburn now.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 02:04:12 AM »
That is a great pay out, 45k per day.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
Money will eventually ruin football.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »
And doesn't that look a great bit of business by Blackburn now.

Allardyce must be rolling in cash, and look what blackburn have done since he has gone, I don't think they would be where they are if he had stayed.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
Money will eventually ruin football.

Eventually?

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
In what other industry could you get £45k per day for 6 months for being a complete and total failure ?
Astonishing

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »
In what other industry could you get £45k per day for 6 months for being a complete and total failure ?
Astonishing

I would say banking, but that's too puny a sum for them.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »
How much do we, as fans, fuel this fire? We all want the top players and call for strength in depth, we all call for managers to be sacked without a thought for the compensation that triggers and want us to poach other clubs managers with the same consequence and we all demand success at almost any cost.*

I'm not saying it is our fault, we don't draw up contracts or sign the cheques but we contribute to encouraging the environment whereby this sort of spending is seen as normal.

* By all I mean as a collective rather than every individual.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »
I'm not sure what length contract GH got, but it's probably one of the factors that has meant him staying in his job. We can ill afford a mega pay-off and we're probably holding back some contingency in case MON wins his tribunal which I'm betting he will

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »

It's not just players and managers who are making big money out of football, Randy took  £7.7m in "management fees" and £5.7m in debt interest payments out of the club last year, which was approx. 15% of total revenue. Nice work if you can get it.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Yes the money is getting beyond belief - I don't think we'll ever again see a 'manager' being given total control of the club.  Love him as I do - MON was a disaster at getting value for money.  Personally, I think he dreaded rejection, hence the crazy money offered.

If RL has the determination to get the wage bill under control he is going to have to endure the wrath of the 'Meldrew' contingent and their ambition banners.  For all the talk about having a strong squad - I'll settle for a strong team - with the academy as back up.

If there is money to spend - spend it on getting eleven outstanding talents - not on assembling a squad of 'solid professionals'.

I think the way that Sky are losing the battle to restrict viewing methods - their payments to the PL will decline.  TV is where the bulk of the money comes from - which is sadly a real blow for us - as we can't even fill our now middle sized stadium - and if the TV revenue starts slipping as well...?

Reality check for Villa methinks - but hippy that I am - I quite like Randy's idea of growing your own.

VillaDawg - can you post a link to the source for your figures - would love a look.  Ta.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:31:45 PM by sonlyme »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal