collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The insanity of Premiership football  (Read 16791 times)

Offline wif

Re: The insanity of Premiership football
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »
If the Premier League is insane, who out of all the interested parties, is making the insane decisions? 

Is it the at-the-game fans, the TV fans, the players, the managers, the club owners, the FA, the Premier League?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
Well whatever the total the figure is quite irrelevent.  The figure of 88% is all we need to know - totally unsustainable and a good reason why relegation could hit us much harder than some other Clubs that are more 'geared' towards this sort of thing.

For years we had a small squad, and moaned about it.  Then a couple of years ago MON built it up and I can't recall too many posters on here complaining about these purchases (Heskey aside).  Now the same people moan that MON is responsible for our position and the 88% wage/income ratio.

Now i'm as pissed off as the next fan at the fact that MON did one 5 days before the start of the season, but this figure is the responsibility of Randy, he signs the cheques after all.

If this situation had occured under Doug they'd have been hell to pay.

Randy signed the cheques but O'Neill chose the players and then didn't play them or at best used them sparingly. As the ''custodian'' (his word) of Aston Villa, O'Neill's custody (which dictionary.com defines as 'keeping, guardianship, care) left a lot to be desired.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »
So what is the alternative?

We currently pay what is seen as the going rate for experienced PL players, if we can't afford it then we have to do something else.

So it will be try to use home grown players, bring in cheaper imports, add the odd expensive player with a decent sell on value and hope that we can wheel and deal our way into the CL where the serious money becomes available.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 05:41:49 PM »
I now only really watch Championship matches on TV - the standard is good
Have to disagree with you there Oz, i've found it to be pretty poor, an unbelievably high amount of staid low quality games.

championship footballs crap,
they dont even have any 'grand slam weekends' or 'super sundays' on sky tv, how can you take it seriously if you cant look forward to a 'clash of the titans' at 12.45 on a saturday afternoon

the prems where its at especially 'the final countdown' towards the end of the season. well exciting

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
The obscene levels of money paid to Premiership football players was put in context by the news that the directors of Transocean Corporation (apologies if that is not their exact name) the partners of BP in the Mexican Gulf debacle who employed nine of the eleven killed in the oil rig explosion, deciding to give themselves big bonuses for achieving safety targets.   We live in an age of fuck you where money is concerned.

Why do footballers demand and get such obscene wages?   For the same reason that dogs lick their bollocks.   Because they can.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 06:37:52 PM »
Have to disagree with you there Oz, i've found it to be pretty poor, an unbelievably high amount of staid low quality games.

they dont even have any 'grand slam weekends' or 'super sundays' on sky tv, how can you take it seriously if you cant look forward to a 'clash of the titans' at 12.45 on a saturday afternoon

the prems where its at especially 'the final countdown' towards the end of the season. well exciting
Premiership football is of a far higher quality than the championship, I know in the past between toilet problems, that you've burbled on about how exciting it would be for Villa to be in it, but the fact remains that it's made up of mediocre teams playing average football.
The sort of league where Peter Whittingham can get over 20 goals.

Online john e

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »

Premiership football is of a far higher quality than the championship, I know in the past between toilet problems, that you've burbled on about how exciting it would be for Villa to be in it, but the fact remains that it's made up of mediocre teams playing average football.

no i said it crap !!

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »

no i said it crap !!
Then a load of guff about Sky's presentation.
Fuck them, I haven't even got that crap and I can see beyond their hype.
Relegation would be a complete nightmare and potentially disasterous for the club.

Online john e

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »

no i said it crap !!
Then a load of guff about Sky's presentation.
Fuck them, I haven't even got that crap and I can see beyond their hype.
Relegation would be a complete nightmare and potentially disasterous for the club.

i never said i wanted to be in the championship, but i certainly wouldnt take it as bad as you, and i dare say i'd probably enjoy it a tad more,
but hey ho, we all see things in are own way

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »
i never said i wanted to be in the championship, but i certainly wouldnt take it as bad as you,
In that much we agree.
I'd be devastated.

Online john e

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »
i never said i wanted to be in the championship, but i certainly wouldnt take it as bad as you,
In that much we agree.
I'd be devastated.

yeah i know, you and plenty more others, thers nothing wrong with that, i'm not having a go, it would be a bummer for sure,
but i still cant get worked up about the 'nightmare' of going down, maybe its because i've always thought we will be ok.

looking at the weekend fixture, i have to say its a biggy, and if we lose it i might start paying more attention to our plight,
but up till now i admit my attitude is a bit like the gamblers on the titanic, its just never worried me,

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 07:10:05 PM »
Apologies

Yes, a key game Sunday.
Need a win just to get some kind of momentum.

Newcastle are bereft of strikers, which would normally be a boost, but they still managed 4 on Sunday and we have Laurel and Hardy at centre half.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »
Cloning will diverse
Aging will reverse
Insanity is slowly, creeping into our lives, yeah
Where is yesterday? Cause people ain't the same
Have we lost the faith? Or have we lost our minds

Where are we going?
Does anyone care?
Hold on to real love
There's so much to share

Do do do do do
Do do do do do
Do do do do do
This Is Insania

Do do do do do
Do do do do do
Do do do do do
This Is Insania

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 10:52:15 PM »
One of the things that concerns me about relegation is the simple fact that I wonder if I can be arsed to go and watch us play Barnsley and Doncaster. I've done both in the past but under different circumstances, and shoot me down in flames if you will, but as several have mentioned on here, the standard of the Championship only becomes apparent when you watch enough of it. Even if we storm it and win record points, at the end of the day, all it means is that we're back where we ought to have been all along.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:54:20 PM by curiousorange »

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »
The key is value. Signing players for big money without a sell on fee is lunacy. So are signing players who aren't going to be guarenteed first choices on big, long term contracts.

Beye is probably amongst our highest earners. Why did MON deem fit to sign a 31 year old on a 3 year deal to be third choice right fullback, when we've Lichaj in the reserves? Because he had a free reign and it's his reputation on the line.

The board were naive, and hopefully the new system implemented with Houllier will stay even after he's gone. Buy young, sell when the stock is high.

Spurs, Arsenal, Lyon, Sevilla, Porto all do it, and its exactly what we should be mimicking.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal