collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: To all those in favour of video technology...  (Read 9619 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: To all those in favour of video technology...
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
Beckford wasn't offside.

Couldn't see clearly because of the sun on the pitch but think Luke Young was playing him on from left back.

And the ball that came through to him was toed by I think Collins?

I assume in those situations where a team feels they've had a ball cross the line, they'd be instructed to boot the ball up of play or just do a foul so the stoppage could occur then.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »
No no whatever we do we MUST not stop the game. The incident yesterday highlighted everything that is good about watching football. One scenario changing to another in a matter of seconds.
So NO video replays but if we can find a way to instantly tell if the ball has crossed than yes.

Didn't the Bent 2nd goal come from a Friedel free kick from an offside?

I don't see the whole debate about it seriously stopping the game when nowadays you have Stoke players taking a minute to take thrown ins and players get treated on the pitch for injuries for a minute or two so plenty of stoppages.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
I think football manager would love to throw a red rag to challenge a decision like NFL. Could it work for football if each manager only allow one challenge each half. If they (Manager) get it wrong they will lose a substitute.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
No no whatever we do we MUST not stop the game. The incident yesterday highlighted everything that is good about watching football. One scenario changing to another in a matter of seconds.
So NO video replays but if we can find a way to instantly tell if the ball has crossed than yes.

Didn't the Bent 2nd goal come from a Friedel free kick from an offside?

I don't see the whole debate about it seriously stopping the game when nowadays you have Stoke players taking a minute to take thrown ins and players get treated on the pitch for injuries for a minute or two so plenty of stoppages.
i dont think so, Freidel put the ball on the deck and then hoofed it to Young who played a great ball to Bent

Offline davevillan

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 11:17:42 PM »
If anyone thinks the ball was over the line...Go down the local rec and place a ball far enough behind the line, so that when you look down on the line, you can see green between the edge of the ball and edge of the line. That is when the whole ball is over the line, and see how far back it is, certainly further back then the ball bounced down yesterday. End of argument ;D

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 08:06:21 AM »
Despite the BBC's best attemps, I'm still yet to be convinced that the ball was 'clearly over the line' at any point.

Offline Pete Green

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »
Interesting thread, the stopping of the game for reviewing footage is a real issue and probably why the technology isn't introduced.

There's always the option of going over the top with some Skyesque Super-Soccer razzmatazz, such as rope-lights embedded in the goal frame, or jets of steam and metallic ticker tape blowing out the top of the posts, with some shite music to go with it. Gooooaaaaal, in association with Shitehawk.inc

Different thing but yesterday I was at an Under 9's game and a shot crashed down off the bar and then back into the keeper's hands. Nobody at the game thought it was a goal, even the striker's coach put his hands behind his head and shouted "Unlucky...etc" then the ref gave it as a goal anyway. Bit odd.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal