collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: To all those in favour of video technology...  (Read 9623 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: To all those in favour of video technology...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »

I'm not against it, I just think its irrelevant, as Beckford was offside. So Everton can get to fuck with their moaning.

Beckford wasn't offside, Luke Young played him on.

Despite the fact that it almost certainly saved us today I can't be hypocritical, we should have goal-line technology, along with any other gadgets that are available,
I don't go with the argument that if it's not available at all levels then it shouldn't be allowed, Hawkeye isn't available at County cricket level but it doesn't stop them using it in Tests.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 08:06:54 AM »
The ball was over the line, he wasnt offside. If we had goal line technology then Everton would have been 2-1 up instead of 2-1 down, however we dont have goal line technology so................

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
FIFA's criteria for goal line technology are that it must be 100% accurate, give an immediate result, and not be too complicated to implement.  The whole point of this is that you wouldn't have to stop the game unless the decision is that a goal should be given.

The two main suppliers that were pitching last year had systems with either a computer chip in the ball and sensors around the goal to show when it crossed the line, or a matrix of cameras positioned around the goal to do the same thing.  One of the suppliers was the same people who do the Hawkeye systems for tennis and cricket and based on what I've seen on TV of those systems I think they would've instantly sorted the Beckford incident out yesterday.

For what it's worth, seeing it on TV last night, I don't think it was over the line.  I can see Moyes's argument but the whole of the ball didn't cross, only half of it did.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:31:13 AM »
The Beckford incident only almost starts to make up for the Kevin Richardson handball on the line in 84!!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »
No no whatever we do we MUST not stop the game. The incident yesterday highlighted everything that is good about watching football. One scenario changing to another in a matter of seconds.
So NO video replays but if we can find a way to instantly tell if the ball has crossed than yes.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »
Beckford wasn't offside but I still think that we need goalline technology, Ok this time it suited us but what if it were Bent that had the goal disallowed? that could have been the difference between going down and staying up?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 10:02:06 AM »
The call for video technology is purely down to the inability to accept that referees, like everybody else, make mistakes and that sometimes you get bad luck.

Good teams will win things, shit teams won't. To say that one decision in one game can influence a whole season is nonsense. If Bent's goal was disallowed and we lost it wouldn't be the reason we went down, the overiding factor would be the piss poor results throughout the season. But the lack of VT gives crap managers a great get out clause, as used by Fat Sam on a regular basis. You will also notice that managers only bleat about VT when a decision goes against them, the silence is deafening when they benefit.

And if you think wankers like Ferguson and Wenger are going to meekly accept decisions just because it has been reviewed by a video ref you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

The game of football doesn't need to change, but it might be considered that the people involved do.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:47:06 AM by Nev »

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »
List of thing more important than goal line technology (to be used 2-3 time a season perhaps):

-Offsides - incorrect decisions cost more that 5+ goals per season per team
-Handball in penalty area - same as above
-Fouls outside the box incorrectly given as penalties - maybe 2-3 a year
-Not giving red card to last man - see Vidic last night, could of changed the game in WHAMs favour meaning a swing in 3 points.

Goal line tech is just stupid!!!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »
Vidic wasn't last man, and in any case being last man is irrelevant, there's nothing in the rules about it.  The criteria is about denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.  He didn't do that either so there was no case for a red card in my view.  And he was standing outside the box when he made the challenge anyway.  Vidic should have gone later mind for a clear second yellow offence that wasn't given.

The analysis of the Beckford thing is being done with hindsight.  If you actually stop a game for VT you will never know what might have happened next unless your name is Nostradamus so it is really a moot point.

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
If we had the technology. England could have been 2010 world cup winners. *Whistling emoticon*

Leave it out the game. It's the contrecersial talking points that make this game what it is.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
If we had the technology. England could have been 2010 world cup winners. *Whistling emoticon*

Leave it out the game. It's the contrecersial talking points that make this game what it is.

If we had had technology, West Ham may not have won the world cup in 1966 and fritz would have sneaked it back off to the land of leiderhosen wearing sausage eaters.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 04:44:55 PM »
I'm not in favour of goal line technology. Controversy is part of the game, which is becoming increasingly sanitised purely on the basis of the money involved.

If we had to have it maybe there could be a chip in the ball, and when the sensor detected the whole ball had crossed the line some of those lightning quick shutters they have in banks could shoot up from the goal line. And if a player (John Terry for example) got in the way, and as a result got decapitated, that would just be an added bonus.

Offline mozza

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »
Moyes reckons the ball crossed the line indicated by the angle it came back out ?

Rate him as a manager and wouldn't mind if he came to VP but please comment
on football not physics Mr Moyes

For what it's worth I was standing in line with corner flag, and unless a couple
pops blurred my vision considerably, the whole of the football did NOT cross the line-

I wonder if the officials felt they might have made a mistake and later awarded a
dubious penalty (the first Everton have had this season at Goodison I believe) ?

...............a big NO to touchline technology from me - it's swings and roundabouts

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »

Offline villa1

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
I liked the comment by Moyes after the game. Apparently the ref and linesman should have given the goal because of the angle that the ball bounced down off of the bar.

Obviously it doesn't matter if it actually crosses the line or not then.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal