collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Referees  (Read 5798 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Referees
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »
Spot on, Brian.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »
Good Post BG, I was talking with some vets footballers about this. There are refs that want to get involved in the game, Dowd is a classic example, loves himself. The job is to apply the Laws of the game.
Not to try and influence the outcome, to see each incident on its merits and apply the laws. Its not about building relationships with players and managers just give the decision.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »
It all started getting out of hand when the referees became celebrities in their own right.

It the old days it was just a bloke in black, now they are as well known and as well publicized as the players and they love it.   The officiating and control of a game of football should be as robotic and detached as possible.   Bad foul in the first thirty seconds - red card, Man U defender pulls shirt of opponent in the box in the last minute of injury time and Man U leading one nil - penalty.   No emotion, no interpretation, no balancing things up, just a robotic and consistent application of the rules of the game.   End of.

It is only when referees are allowed discretion to amend or vary the strict interpretation of the game that all this shambles gets a hold.   If you treat referees like celebrities they will act like celebrities.

If you pay a plumber to mend a burst water pipe in your loft you don't praise the way he extended the loft ladder or rolled back the loft insulation.   It's his job.   Find pipe.  Mend pipe.  Go home.   It should be the same with referees.
Spot on Brian.

Offline nicardinho

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
To all those saying referees should keep a low profile - that died the day someone decided fluoro-pink and yellow shirts would be appropriate.

To be honest, 99% of referees don't want to be stars. There is nothing worse (as a referee) than reading a match report and seeing your name in it. Of course there are those who wish they were still playing and always try to appease players at the expense of the laws, and the other extreme of zero-tolerance. There is a comment further up this thread: 'Its not about building relationships with players and managers'. To an extent I agree with this, but it is important to build a *repectful* relationship with the club - after all, you'll probably have to referee them again! This doesn't mean favouring them, but it does mean having a dialogue on the pitch, and sharing jokes etc. This can come across as 'over-familiarity', so it is a fine line to negotiate.

On another note, and one that is particularly irritating to me, it seems all too easy at grassroots level to say 'but Rooney does it, so why can't we?'. The managers all too often neglect their responsibility to promote good behaviour, with comments designed purely to incite his players against the match officials. This is much more damaging to young players than TV.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Rooney is a disgrace. See his camera actions today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal