collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 08:43:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 08:40:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:40:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 08:38:47 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Steve67
[Today at 08:30:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:28:41 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 08:28:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 08:26:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Black Managers  (Read 11383 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
0% Villa - Black Managers
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:49:49 PM »
Make of this what you will:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9441854.stm

My own opinion is that football is a business where morality goes out the window, so if a club will employ violent thugs, alcoholics and granny shaggers, then the colour of a manager's skin won't matter to them aslong as they win!

Although I know very little about this 'Rooney Rule' from America, I also don't like the use of the phrase 'as of right'.   

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: 0% Villa - Black Managers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
I honestly dont believe that black managers are not getting opportunties because of the colour of their skin at all. 

Paul Ince was given a chance at Blackburn and was crap.  This Steve Kean has been given a go and he is crap.  I'm sure Blackburn fans wont point to Paul Ince's skin colour for the reason he didn't last very long.

The same goes for black referees and black goalkeepers which also seem in very short supply in the top few divisions.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »
With the possible exception of giving a helping hand to people with disabitilties I've no time for so-called "positive discrimination"*.  It's still discrimination whatever adjective you stick in front of it.  Football is one of the most racially integrated sports around.  Black players proliferate because they have the talent.  I don't see why that wouldn't extend to coaches and managers - if they have the talent.  If Ince had actually been any good at Blackburn he's still be there, or somewhere better.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
When you think about it; most managers are ex-players from a generation of predominantly white players. Due to the influx of black players in the last 10/15 years or so, I believe that in the future their will be plenty of black managers.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »
I don't mind the colour of a person's skin as long as they are the best man for the job that's all that matters but i know what you are saying John me myself i would love Ian Taylor to be our manager one day.

Offline supertom

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
What does BFR say about this matter? (Tee hee)

I do agree though that in the next couple of decades there'll be a rise, and it's just a natural result of having more black players in football. Until the 80's it was quite a rarity. Even in the 80's there weren't many black players.

Perhaps we'll also see more Pakistani players breaking through in the next decade as well.

But yeah, I don't think there's much of a problem to be honest. Football is very culturally diverse in this country.

Oh and another vote for Ian Taylor as a future Villa boss. I'd love to see him given the shot.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
No ones disputing that Ince was shite, what people are saying is they're not getting the same chances white managers are, and it's probably more subconcious than an act of discrimination.

When footballers are retired, you tend to assume they'll either go into TV work, coaching or a managerial position. With black footballers people don't tend to associate them with management, and maybe this scheme will change it, slowly.

Much the same way people don't tend to associate women with being a mechanic for example. Except the difference is there are X amount of black ex-players who could offer something back to the game.

Offline nuninho

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
When you think about it; most managers are ex-players from a generation of predominantly white players. Due to the influx of black players in the last 10/15 years or so, I believe that in the future their will be plenty of black managers.

Great point.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
Think it will be good for football and black community if this happens. But it need to be on merit.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »

Exactly. It'd be interesting to know the percentage of white players to black players and do a comparison with black and white managers in the 10-15 year period afterwards. It'd also be good to get figures from the past on this as well.

Offline peter w

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 07:54:19 PM »

fair point. But it doesn't explain why footballers that get top jobs in the Prem without any experience tend to be white. There were plenty of black players in the 90s that should have been given the same opportunity as a gareth Southgate, david Platt, Stuart pearce, Roy keane etc

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »

fair point. But it doesn't explain why footballers that get top jobs in the Prem without any experience tend to be white. There were plenty of black players in the 90s that should have been given the same opportunity as a gareth Southgate, david Platt, Stuart pearce, Roy keane etc

Maybe they didn't want to be managers. The ones you've mentioned above, you could've guessed that they would become managers (well, maybe not David Platt). What black player do you think would've wanted to be a manager? Ian Wright?!?!?!?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
I'm sure there'll be more in the future. Julian Joachim will be Villa manager in 2020.
As of yet though, the few who have made it like John Barnes and Paul Ince, haven't exactly shown the ''honkys'' how it's done.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »
Maybe in percentage terms more ex white players are interested in  coaching than ex black players?

I think that's just as feasible as the idea that boardrooms up and down the country are either full of racists or otherwise unwittingly "institutionally racist".

Offline peter w

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:06:55 PM »

Maybe they didn't want to be managers. The ones you've mentioned above, you could've guessed that they would become managers (well, maybe not David Platt). What black player do you think would've wanted to be a manager? Ian Wright?!?!?!?

Of you look at the likes of Carlton Palmer, Mark Bright, Keith Alexander, Paul Ince etc the point is that they automatically had to start at the bottom - and rightly so - for those that wanted to go into management. Yes, there would undoubtedly be more white than black ex-players following that route due to obvious numbers. But the black players wouldn't be able to rely on a helping hand that some white ex-players get/got. It may be racist, it may be the ex-players qualities, but either way its a longer and harder route for a black manager.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal