collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier - Villa united  (Read 14333 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Houllier - Villa united
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
sportinglife.com

Gerard Houllier insists all sections of Aston Villa are united for the relegation fight ahead as he prepares to recall defenders James Collins and Richard Dunne for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash at Everton.

Collins and Dunne were fined two weeks wages for their behaviour towards members of the coaching staff during a team bonding session at a health spa three weeks ago.

But Houllier says the matter has been consigned to history and is poised to bring the experienced duo back into the side now they are recovered from shoulder and calf injuries respectively.

Dunne and Collins proved their fitness when on international duty for the Republic of Ireland and Wales.

Houllier said: "The only thing I can say is that the events (involving Dunne and Collins) are finished. It has been dealt with, it is gone and over.

"The players expressed their will to the club and to myself that they want to give their best for their fans and the club. It is good.

"They were unfortunately both injured for the last game against Wolves but they are available after playing for Ireland and Wales.

"If they are fit, they will play. It is as simple as that because they are personality players and they have the club at heart. They have also strong experience."

Houllier came in for criticism from fans during and after the 1-0 defeat to Wolves and a banner paraded on the Holte End before the game called for him to leave Villa.

But the Frenchman wants everyone to be united for the eight games which will decide Villa's fate.

He said: "Everyone is entitled to think what they want but I took the job because it was a challenge.

"The challenge is bigger now because of what happened but sometimes you battle to get in Europe or a cup.

"Here we are battling adversity together. Together, that means the team, the staff, management, the owner, chief executive, the fans, everybody."

Houllier added: "The fans play an important part. When the fans show the banner, you are not very happy about that.

"But I came here because I've got pride in being at this club. I said that straightaway and that hasn't changed.

"I've got pleasure in what I'm doing. It's not because things are not particularly easy.

"Sometimes you go through hard times at this job.

"Also I've got a challenge, and the challenge is eight games and, also, the unity is there."

Offline peter w

Re: Houllier - Villa united
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
To be fair everyone is saying the right things.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »
First it's Liverpool, now he's banging on about United? What next? Blowing bubbles?

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
Shame he didnt show those battling qualities when he named the team at Man City.

Offline london lion

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:04:36 PM »
The problem with Collins and Dunne is very simple in my eyes,both of them are just not good enough to be premier league defenders

Dunne,Slow,fat,turning circle of a battle cruiser,

Collins,ditto but add in the factor of him being defensively naieve

When you look back at the centre halves we have had in recent times,Mcgrath,Southgate,Ugo,Mellberg,etc how did any villa fan actually ever believe these pair of frauds could be fit to play for Aston Villa
Darren Bent,Wayne Rooney,and Ashley Young completley mugged Collins on saturday and yet it looks like he will go back into the first team when plainly he isnt anywhere near good enough,and couldnt give a monkeys if he's at villa next season or not.
Might sound like a bit of a rant but the pair of them get right up my tits and the sooner there gone the better for me.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »
They may not be the best defenders in the world but, they are a damn sight better than skinny youth team full backs playing against the big men of the Premiership.

Offline mozza

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »
Singing from same hymn sheet - but are we all in tune I wonder ?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
Maybe, just maybe, the pressure will bring the best out of Houllier. In my mind he's been far too comfortable, thinking he has the backing of the board, money to spend and no real set target other than to get through the season. I hate the phrase 'transitional season', we should have been looking to win games whilst fixing the problems as we went along, not the other way around. For too long he appears to have been accomodating players, trying to keep everybody happy rather than doing what's best to win games and using the squad accordingly.

Houllier has a great squad of players to work with and there really is little excuse for the results since Christmas. He needs to get us back to winning ways and build up that winning habit whilst improving the way we play. I always thought we'd finish the season on an high and even now think we can do it. These remaining 8 games will show us what kind of manager he really is. Staying up is the minimum; I'm expecting a lot more than that. If he can get the confidence back in the team, we'll fly and curse the season ending.

As luck would have it, he has a great chance to have a word with Ashley Young and get him playing in a more fixed role as he did for England, rather than the loose cannon he's been for most of the season. If he can do that and with Bent in the middle, we really can go out and destroy a few teams. Much will depend on the midfield but as others have suggested, a midfield three of Makoun, NRC and Delph should help us win the midfield battle and allow Ashley, Bent and Downing the opportunity to do what they do best.

There really are no more excuses.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:43:27 PM by Mark Kelly »

Offline andyaston

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »
I'm just hoping we can field a team without injuries and suspensions.

That Bolton game summed up our season. We played a top 8 side off the park for 75 minutes but lost to two set peices.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/9439278.stm

this is an interview with GMac which I found interesting - don't know if it has been posted elsewhere.  On the BBC Sport/Football site, there's also an interview with Brad Friedel.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
The problem with Collins and Dunne is very simple in my eyes,both of them are just not good enough to be premier league defenders

I take it this is your first season watching football.

They're both good defenders, last season they were part of one of the strongest defences in the premier league. This season due to a combination of form, injury and relations with the manager they have rarely performed at that level but there's little doubt that if they play to the standard of last season for the rest of this we will not be relegated.

Offline austin

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
we are doomed and deservedly so.

fans moaned about MON, complained about 6th, moscow , style of play, favourites etc etc

we'd never had it so good at least not since BFR and Saunders.

Look at us now?

Fickle- not half

A lot  of our "fans" are dispassionate arrogant and deluded.

UTV

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »
Good luck with that post...

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
I take it this is your first season watching football.

That really sounds snidey Chris.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal