collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:37:30 PM]

NSWE Investment by olaftab
[Today at 12:37:26 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by Drummond
[Today at 12:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:36:04 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by claret+blue ed
[Today at 12:35:40 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 12:29:49 PM]

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 12:27:25 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Risso
[Today at 12:24:34 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary McAllister on Radio 5 and BBC Sport  (Read 29280 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Gary McAllister on Radio 5......in a minute
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
Some terrible quoting again!

I didn't hear it but I bet it was the usual stuff that's usually said. I just want us to get some results or at least just show a bit of fight.

Laursen & now Taylor? Let's get Dalian Atkinson in to show Bent how to score  ;)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
He dosnt have to coach,,,,,just stand on touchline and get the passion going .

And maybe advise our best players to join other clubs.

Offline Cuz

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 09:01:58 PM »
Lets just talk about G Mac shall we, i personally think Brian Little earned his stripes and i can remember him at least directing players and geeing them up from the touchline, I am talking about the here and now not suggesting we should just employ ex players   
Lip service,from what i've seen he has shown no interest passion or anything other than a whisper in Houliers ear, not a Villa man not a good number 2 a failed coach/manager in every club he has been involved in, give me a Taylor Townsend or Morley all day long on that bench at least they would show some passion

I don't seem to remember Brian Little jumping up and down, screaming and shouting much when he was Villa manager. Would you question his passion for the Villa?

As for a failed manager at every club he has been involved in, well this is the case with a lot of assistant managers. Peter Taylor of Clough/Taylor fame and Carlos Queiroz to name just two.

He may well be a poor assistant manager, but to suggest that someone should get the job instead just because they played for Villa is ridiculous to my mind, as is suggesting that you can only show passion for a job or club if you were a player there.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 09:04:55 PM »
Some terrible quoting again!

I didn't hear it but I bet it was the usual stuff that's usually said. I just want us to get some results or at least just show a bit of fight.

Laursen & now Taylor? Let's get Dalian Atkinson in to show Bent how to score  ;)

I like your thinking. We could have a series of masterclasses from former Villa players and managers.
Sasa Curcic - Creative (a.k.a. slightly bonkers) thinking
Lee Hendrie - Tanning techniques for the 21st century footballer
Stephen Ireland/David O'Leary - How to make friends and influence people

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 09:06:47 PM »
Lets just talk about G Mac shall we, i personally think Brian Little earned his stripes and i can remember him at least directing players and geeing them up from the touchline, I am talking about the here and now not suggesting we should just employ ex players   
Lip service,from what i've seen he has shown no interest passion or anything other than a whisper in Houliers ear, not a Villa man not a good number 2 a failed coach/manager in every club he has been involved in, give me a Taylor Townsend or Morley all day long on that bench at least they would show some passion

I don't seem to remember Brian Little jumping up and down, screaming and shouting much when he was Villa manager. Would you question his passion for the Villa?

As for a failed manager at every club he has been involved in, well this is the case with a lot of assistant managers. Peter Taylor of Clough/Taylor fame and Carlos Queiroz to name just two.

He may well be a poor assistant manager, but to suggest that someone should get the job instead just because they played for Villa is ridiculous to my mind, as is suggesting that you can only show passion for a job or club if you were a player there.

I see. So suggesting that we employ Ian Taylor, Tony Morley or Andy Townsend is not suggesting that we should just employ ex-players without any top-level coaching experience. Actually, I don't see. Do you want to explain that one to me?

Online LeeB

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »

Can we please at least keep the criticism of the management to something relevant like tactics, team selection or purchases instead of this bullshit that he "doesn't jump up and down enough".

Some managers do, some don't, and none of it matters a toss anyway.

Offline Cuz

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
With respect Chris just my opinion and if you truly believe in the current managerment that your opinion, no need to be so condesending
well if he'd have said i'm going to persuade GH to play Ash on Right Wing, Downing on Left Gabby down the middle, i'm going to be a bit more vocal and look like i give a shit, and we will never go into a game thinking we will lose and rest our better players so i watch our reserves,
That may have been a start to open my mind
I doubt that he could have said anything that would have made us feel any better.

Quite, you can't persuade closed minds.

I doubt it because you clearly think you know best.

Offline theleftside

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 09:09:28 PM »
GH had phil thompson at liverpool and lets face it for all his faults he would die for that club.  maybe it;s time to get a fully signed up villian by his side.
but then again why do it????? GH is  a dead man walking - lost the holte and lost the players....whole new team (on all fronts) in the summer.

real shame though GH could have been good for us.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »
Fair fucks to him for fronting up but most of the interview contained platitudes, the sort of which you would expect from anyone in that role when the club is in trouble.

My only gripe was his answer to the "mutiny" issue where he claimed (rightly) that to expect 30 odd blokes to get on was rather fanciful. It's not relations between players that are the concern but those between players and staff, something he didn't really address.

As for the issue of having ex-players on the staff, it never guarantees success. Peter Withe sat next to Venglos with his arms folded for almost the whole 90 minutes during a 5-0 walloping at Elland Road I seem to recall.

I get the feeling that we are approaching the end of this particular chapter of our history, regardless of the outcome of the season.

We have a good squad and a good manager with an excellent set-up and support from the chairman, but it's just not working and I don't think it ever will.

Offline Cuz

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 09:14:02 PM »
Like i quoted the i'm speaking about now the current situation, so what would be so wrong with a Townsend or Taylor as a coach ?? GMac my have his badges but he isn't successful

I see. So suggesting that we employ Ian Taylor, Tony Morley or Andy Townsend is not suggesting that we should just employ ex-players without any top-level coaching experience. Actually, I don't see. Do you want to explain that one to me?

Offline Rawly

• Cascarino in the air
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 09:17:10 PM »
Nev,,,,your a twat ,,withe was a scouse !!!!!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »
Time for interviews  and giving radio 4 type answers is gone. Houllier, McAllister and the overpaid footballers we have need to show some fight on the pitch and get us out of the mess we are in.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
Like i quoted the i'm speaking about now the current situation, so what would be so wrong with a Townsend or Taylor as a coach ?? GMac my have his badges but he isn't successful

Because they've never done any top-level coaching at Premier League level? Because neither have shown the slightest wish to be coaches or managers? Because to sack the assistant manager with a few games left would further erode Houllier's authority and make sod all difference?

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »
I'd never seen a post in Javascript before

Online LeeB

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
I'd never seen a post in Javascript before

I thought it was a csv file.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal