collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: are there 2 ashley youngs?  (Read 30114 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: are there 2 ashley youngs?
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
It worked reasonably well when Milner was playing as our withdrawn playmaker and we had Young and Downing keeping the width. The challenge is not identifying the players / gameplay; it's Hou's view of things, whihc is the only one that counts at the moment.

FWIW, I'd be playing a narrow 3 in midfield with Bent plus two of the three available wingers. The narrow 3 would be Petrov, Makoun and Delph, with NRC to come on after 60 for Petrov. If we needed extra creativity during the game I'd bring off Petrov, move Downing inside and put Albrighton out wide.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
There may be some who are getting their psyche's adjusted early for Ash's no doubt iminent departure in the Summer, but anyone with half a brain can see there were two big differences with Ash in the England game.

First he didn't dive whinge and moan non-stop. Second he didn't take (and waste) all the free kicks.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds both of these traits massively annoying when he plays for us.   

I don't think you can question his willingness to put the effort in, or that he makes things happen for us and we undoubtedly miss him when he's out.  Anyone who saw our feeble attempts at attacking at Anfield without him can vouch for that. 

If he could be for us like he is with England, just get on with the job, I'd be his biggest fan.  As it is, his considerable downside makes me somewhat indifferent to him going as long as we can trouser a decent amount for him and sign a decent winger or "in the hole" type playmaker in his place.  The next Van Der Vaart would do nicely. 

Offline pedro25

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
I'd go
Albrighton Makoun Delph Young
            Agbonlahor Bent

With Downing, Petrov, Reo Coker and Heskey able deputies to  keep everyone fresh.

Offline Simon Ward

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:49 AM »
Or he just can't be arsed to play for the Villa now he's decided he wants to leave...

Bollocks, do you go to any games? He played extremely week against Bolton and Blackburn but why let the facts get in the way of blind prejudice?

This seemingly endless campaign against Young by a lot of people on here is bizarre.

"He thinks he's too big for us", "there's two of them, the one that plays for England and the one that we see every week", "boo hoo, he's such a whinger"

He is not without his faults, but it is all so unbelievably small time, it makes us sound like Albion fans.

I suspect it is because he's almost certainly off in the summer, and said posters are preparing the ground to say "good riddance" and act like he was always shit anyway.

That's pretty much it. Frustrating but hell of a good player and would be gutted if he goes. We'll miss him.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
One thing which is being forgotten in this debate is that Premiership teams found a way of reducing his effectiveness on the wing by playing a "proper" full back who would force him wide and stop him cutting in, or simply putting 2 players on him.

The Welsh team, as co-commentator Coleman was at pains to point out, were remiss to the the point of incompetence in this task.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2011, 11:42:10 AM »
One thing which is being forgotten in this debate is that Premiership teams found a way of reducing his effectiveness on the wing by playing a "proper" full back who would force him wide and stop him cutting in, or simply putting 2 players on him.

The Welsh team, as co-commentator Coleman was at pains to point out, were remiss to the the point of incompetence in this task.

Yes they did and there was a lot of call on this site for him to be moved into the middle.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
While we continue to use Young in the middle, we're not getting the best out of Bent.
He needs a partner with him, prior to his suspension Heskey was playing out of his skin, i'd like to see him create some room and opportunities as a front 2 with Bent.

This Young through the middle caper means we don't get the best out of Gabby either, he's about as much a winger as Richard Dunne is.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »

Yes they did and there was a lot of call on this site for him to be moved into the middle.

It worked to certain a extent under O'Neill towards the end of 2007 (I think).  It cetaibly hasn't worked under Houllier.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
MON started playing Ash in the hole not Le Gaffuer, but it's plain for all to see that he's a winger.

Always has been, always will be.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
While we continue to use Young in the middle, we're not getting the best out of Bent.

Absolutley. Not only that,  we need someone else up there to give the opposition centre halves something else to worry about.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »

Absolutley. Not only that,  we need someone else up there to give the opposition centre halves something else to worry about.
Spot on.

I never thought i'd want Heskey in the side, but he was really playing well prior to the Sunderland debacle.
Holding up the ball brilliantly and making accurate passes.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
He, apart from the shocking misses, was our best player before getting wound up and sent in that game too Fletch. At home he has to play for me. Away I think we need to go 3 genuine centre mids, with Young and Downing playing where they did for England with Bent up top.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »

Spot on.

I never thought i'd want Heskey in the side, but he was really playing well prior to the Sunderland debacle.
Holding up the ball brilliantly and making accurate passes.

We do not have the players for 4-4-2. It worked OK for us over the last two seasons because we had high class central midfield players in Barry and then Milner. We don't have that now and we'd get battered if we tried it.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2011, 01:02:54 PM »
I'm convinced Ashley Young will not be a Villa player next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal