collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: are there 2 ashley youngs?  (Read 30381 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: are there 2 ashley youngs?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
Well there are two Ashley Youngs, the one that's plays effectively out wide and the one that plays ineffectively out of position down the middle.  Guess where he's most effective - hardly rocket science.

Still, I fully expect him to be, once again, playing out of position come Everton.  It's like GH wants us to get relegated sometimes.

Hopefully, today makes it embarressingly, blindingly obvious for even the most stubborn to see.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
If he does go, and though it looks inevitable I certainly hope he doesn't, I will consider it far more of a loss than either Barry or Milner.  Although Milner was important to the team, he has ability and a fantastic engine, Young has all the quality and technical ability of a top class player, but we haven't always seen it consistantly.  Comfortably our best player.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
I said this at the time and I still think it's true: I think Young struck a deal that he would stay another season at Villa on the condition that he could play a more central role.

Admittedly it's just a hunch but I find it kind of wierd that MON was using the system in preseason friendlies and KMac used it in the league.

Houllier arrives and publicly states that Young's best position is on the wing only to change his mind a few days later (after youngs agent no doubt reminded him of the agreement).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:17:57 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
I said this at the time and I still think it's true: I think Young struck a deal that he would stay another season at Villa on the condition that he could play a more central role.

Admittedly it's just a hunch but I find it kind of wierd that MON was using the system in preseason friendlies and KMac used it in the league.

Houllier arrives and publicly states that Young's best position is on the wing only to change his mind a few days later (after youngs agent no doubt reminded him of the agreement).

Then he should be dropped from the side as he's not good enough down the middle.  Let's see what he wants to do when being confronted with the remainder of the season in the Stiffs.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:27 PM »

Then he should be dropped from the side as he's not good enough down the middle.  Let's see what he wants to do when being confronted with the remainder of the season in the Stiffs.

Cutting off our collective nose to spite our face.  Think he's gone whatever we do, but would rather have him playing anywhere in attack than not playing at all considering our options.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
I said a few days back that against Everton we should go with a solid 3 of Delph, Makoun and Reo Coker with Young right and Downing left of Bent but playing high and quite central with the ball, wide and tracking without. Young would still be getting his central wish but would naturally gravitate wide, and we would be better off for it. Both did well today, Dunne and Collins both got 90 minutes in too. Lets hope the squad is now ready for those last 8 games.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
I said a few days back that against Everton we should go with a solid 3 of Delph, Makoun and Reo Coker with Young right and Downing left

No No No No No.

Albrighton should be on the right in that line-up. Young's been utter shite recently whereas he's been golden. Also, due to the clubs precarious league position and subsequent relegation dogfight, we need players with steel who will work hard, no overpaid overrated divers.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 10:35:46 PM »
In a Villa shirt, Young would never have won that pen.

Though ironically, in a Villa shirt, Collins would certainly have conceded it

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »
I said a few days back that against Everton we should go with a solid 3 of Delph, Makoun and Reo Coker with Young right and Downing left

No No No No No.

Albrighton should be on the right in that line-up. Young's been utter shite recently whereas he's been golden. Also, due to the clubs precarious league position and subsequent relegation dogfight, we need players with steel who will work hard, no overpaid overrated divers.

Don't be daft. Young is our best player, it would be madness to leave him out.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
If we are going to stay up we need Ash to perform, I'm hoping he well.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 10:51:23 PM »
Imagine you build beautiful high performance Sports cars.

They are well engineered and valuable. Then imagine a man buys one of these cars. He uses it to drive to the shops, take the kids to school despite the car having just two seats and a small boot.
Have you been drinking?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »
I said this at the time and I still think it's true: I think Young struck a deal that he would stay another season at Villa on the condition that he could play a more central role

Prince Phillip murdered Princess Di you know. Also, while you're here I've got these magic beans and they're yours for £50.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 11:47:18 PM »
Now now Chris, I said my comment is merely a hunch and obviously I have no way of proving it but I think it's a bit suspect that three able minded managers [cough] have suddenly decided Young's best position is down the middle.

Anyway, how many magic beans have you got left?

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 05:37:03 AM »
When I suggested a team to play against Everton (or Noowcastle) I suggested Young & Downing on the flanks, with Gabby and Bent up front. We have a shit defence so lets give ourselves a chance of scoring goals. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that Gabby is better up front in the middle and our Ashley is better out wide.
Now where's my job application for the Villa job got to :)?

I hope Ashley does stay, he is a class player.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
 Don't take it personally Dante, Chris is just a serial conspiracy denier of all things Villa, AY especially   ;)

Perhaps it will all come out in the summer?

It would be a shame if the AY of 2 years ago left, not sure about the current Villa version though.

For all those who bang on about him being committed and our best player...that only highlights how far we have sunk

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal