collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 09:44:42 AM]

FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:39:25 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players should step up & take their share of responsibility  (Read 11515 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Players should step up & take their share of responsibility
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »
Wasn't sure where else to put this.
-----------------

Stewart Downing glad to swap focus:

Stewart Downing has admitted the chance to join up with the England squad is a welcome relief from the stress of Villa’s current Premier League plight.

Downing is preparing for England’s Euro 2012 qualifier against Wales with Villa team-mates Darren Bent, Ashley Young and Kyle Walker.

And the 26-year-old is happy to swap his Villa shirt for an England one and revealed the break from club football will benefit all those on international duty.

He said: “It does help you. You are going into a different environment with a different kind of pressure so obviously if you go there and do well it can help bring confidence back to club.

“Sometimes the break does you good, we can also regroup and get some players back from injury and suspension so it has probably come at a good time.

“Then we can get focused and go again because we missed some of those not involved against Wolves.”

If he plays, Downing is likely to come up against Villa defender James Collins, who is set to captain Wales at the Millenium Stadium, and the Middlesbrough-born midfielder could not resist a bit of banter in the build-up to the game.

The winger said: “There are a few Villa lads in the squad so hopefully we can all play a part. Obviously James Collins is in the Wales squad so there will be a bit of rivalry there.

“I’m sure there will be a few texts flying around this week about what is going to happen but that’s what you like in a way. It is enjoyable to play against your mates and wind them up if you can get one over on them.

“I’m looking forward to it because it is a big game and hopefully I’ll be involved.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2011/03/23/stewart-downing-glad-to-swap-focus/

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »
The Bastard.

Away on international duty and happy to avoid the gloom for a bit?

*Modern football is rubbish/ SKY killed football/ video killed the radio star

*delete as applicable

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:13 AM »
I would not have expected anything else from somebody whose footballing ability is diminished substantially by his cowardice.

A one hundred percent footballer, James Milner for example would never be drawn into dissing the club who pay his wages and would almost certainly say that the international games are an unwelcome distraction from the job in hand.

Like you say Kevin.   Bastard.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
The season just gets worse
If anyone thinks this bunch are going to return from international duty and roll their sleeves up for villa you are diluded

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 07:49:07 AM »
The season just gets worse
If anyone thinks this bunch are going to return from international duty and roll their sleeves up for villa you are diluded
Fuck my old boots Wiki, we know things are in a bad way, but do you have to bang on about it endlessley?
You're like Leonard Cohen reciting the protect and survive booklet.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »
Also in the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/downing-admits-it-is-a-welcome-relief-to-get-away-from-villa-2251062.html

Reading that you'd think Ged's position was untenable wouldn't you?

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
The statements from Collins and Downing in the last 48 hours have been appalling and further undermine GHs position
There is something very wrong at the club and it is now seemingly out of control

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 08:12:38 AM »
Every time one of our players opens his trap, I seem to dislike him a little bit more.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »
Going back to this banning of mobile phones in the dressing room malarkey, is'nt this just another unnecessary rule that GED has brought in at a time when we don't need anymore agitation amongst the ranks? I know players need to be focused on the game but as long as they're not sat there texting away whilst Ged is giving team talk or going through tactics etc, then it should'nt be a problem.

It sound to me like he needs to ease up a little on his strict approach because so far it's brought us nothing but grief, on and off the pitch.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:51 AM »
Am I getting the wrong end of the stick here.

He said: “It does help you. You are going into a different environment with a different kind of pressure so obviously if you go there and do well it can help bring confidence back to club.

“Sometimes the break does you good, we can also regroup and get some players back from injury and suspension so it has probably come at a good time.

Surely he's being positive about this break as an aid to players confidence. Isn't that what we want?

Or should he have said:
He said: “It doesn't help you at all. You are going into a different environment with a different kind of pressure so obviously if you go there and do badly it means you lose self confidence when you go  back to your club.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 08:34:05 AM »
I read that interview and was bloody furious. It did read as if Collins was laughing at us and not taking the seriousness of the event, and the clubs position to heart.

The bloke is a wanker

Second time he has taken the piss the season bit it's npot his fault

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »
Downing can fuck off as well

Oh the poor lambs so glad to get away from nasty Villa Park even though the club pays them upwards of 50k per week for their services.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »
This is a great point that Milky (and most other posters) make.

If these obscenely wealthy apes really are involved in some sort of go-slow because they don't like the training regime, they should be out the door. Shame on them, and fair play to Houllier for trying to instill some discipline.

Trouble is, PL players' behaviour is tolerated as there's so much at stake.

I can't think of any profession where the employee has his bosses by the balls as much as in football.

Offline django

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 09:11:24 AM »
I dont think most of the players are deliberately under performing to get rid of Houllier. It's clear that a lot of the players don't believe in his methods and in those situations it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy and gives them an excuse to fail. For example I doubt gaby wants to play on the left, so when it isnt working during a game, he can't help but think what we think, that it's a misuse of his talent and things could be more effective if he was played up front. Other players might see poor Nathan baker chucked in at left back and think Houllier should make up with Warnock.

These doubts might not manifest themselves in outright rebellion, but in such a tight league with very little separating teams in terms of quality, we can't afford to send out a team that lacks belief in the way it is set up, it makes a vital difference.

I largely agree with Houlliers decisions in terms of discipline, and the way he wants us to play. The reason he has been such a disaster is he hasn't convinced the players, and that is the most important part of his job. Like the independent article said he's done too much too soon and if he has failed to keep the players with him it is terrible management and I can't see a way back for him.

Offline pestria

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
Lot of motherhood and apple pie on here.

Of course the senior players should show leadership.  Of course there should be no muggers or criminals - but there are. 

There are always those who grab what they can and look after themselves.  The 'senior' players will be playing premiership football next season, earning premiership wages regardless of whose shirt they're wearing.  They don't care about the current situation because they don't see it as their fault and ultimately it doesn't affect them.

They are now in the process of touting themselves around - hence the media noise.   It's taking the piss but it's inevitable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal