collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FSF Petition To Bring Back Terraces  (Read 15098 times)

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: FSF Petition To Bring Back Terraces
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »
Looking at the way Germany have done it, it's possible. But, they'll never be a sensible debate about it in this country, it's just too emotional. Non-starter.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Just don't expect cheaper tickets.

This is the thing isn't it? If, for arguements sake, the whole lower Holte was converted to standing, it shouldn't really be much more than £20 a ticket, about the same as terracing at the Rugby. Call me cynical, but I think this is the prime reason why the Prem wouldn't go for it.

I'm getting terrace tickets to see St Pauli next month, they're costing 13 euros each.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
If you can have safe standing areas then why not give it consideration ?
Also that way, the people in the seats will be sitting. You wont have kids having to stand on seats at away games or for that matter the old uns having to stand to be able to see. My late Mom was still going to a few away games when she was nearly 80, but it wasnt always ideal if she had to be on her feet for 45 minutes.

Offline luke25

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »

I've got nothing rational to add to the debate that has'nt already been said time and time again but fuck me backwards that is a stunning site!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 11:04:10 PM »

The Sudtribune. Was there last year. That badboy holds 25,000,  more even than the old Holte.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
If you can have safe standing areas then why not give it consideration ?
Also that way, the people in the seats will be sitting. You wont have kids having to stand on seats at away games or for that matter the old uns having to stand to be able to see. My late Mom was still going to a few away games when she was nearly 80, but it wasnt always ideal if she had to be on her feet for 45 minutes.

Where would we put the away standing bit?

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »

on the expressway?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 11:59:25 PM »

on the expressway?

Yes, that's the right sort of attitude to persuade the authorities that we're all responsible, decent citizens.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 12:03:30 AM »

on the expressway?

Yes, that's the right sort of attitude to persuade the authorities that we're all responsible, decent citizens.

Too late (looking at 'hitman' additions to another thread...!)

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 12:36:53 AM »
I just do not see this happening. I do not have strong feelings on it, although I would stay in a seat these days.

I do think there is a romantic view of so called 'Ultra' groups and that English terracing would suddenly be populated by thousands of jumping, flag waving, collective singing groups. Although when we had terracing that never really happened. I remember trying to see between the shoulders of taller people, trying not to be in front of the crush barrier (that hurt), and being elbowed in the back if a goal was scored. I remember chanting, but not jumping or big flags (which I would have, and still would hate- I want to see the game not the bedsheet sprayed with 'houllier out', or whatever was flavour of the day).

I think if its safe and certain people want to go there  then why not. But I do not think its likely to revert back to that. The biggest plus for me would be, as a grumpy 40 year old, I could go away to Blackburn and know the drunken yoof were in the other bit.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
I think people should get their heads round the whole logistics of this. Granted, Manure and Chelsea might think its a way of getting extra revenue but to most clubs it would be a financial nightmare.

Which chairman in his right mind is going to want to go through the whole process of removing seats and installing barriers - which will have to go through rigorous and expensive safety checks. He'll need to employ more stewards every match day, and it will only take one incident in one ground and the whole lot will have to be cleared out and seats put in again.

I've stood in safe standing in Germany and its a great idea. Its just not logical for existing football stadia and I'm afraid to say it all comes down to money.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »
If you want to stand to watch your football, got to a non-league (or even lower league) game.

The same principle applies if you want a reasonable admission fee, a pint in view of the pitch, a game played in the right spirit and a chat with the players afterwards.

Times have moved on and so has top level football. There will be no going back on this, the law was bought in following 96 deaths, there will be no change just because no-one has died since.

Offline pestria

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »

on the expressway?

Dave

I don't understand your point on this.

The campaign and the comments from those who support it on here seems to about letting those who want to stand to be able to do so safely, and those who want to sit to be able to do so without hinderance.  That's a sensible thing surely?

AP

PS - when did you lose your sense of humour?

Offline Rico

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 11:21:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure thẹ old Holte held 26000! I've been in it when it was rammed and never felt at risk. Thẹ deign of thẹ old Holte meant that a surge at thẹ back could not affect thẹ middle or lower sections, so even though it was old it was safe.

I'm 42 now and would love to be able to stand again. To be able to rock up on match days and meet up with friends was part of thẹ fun. Nowadays everyone's scattered all around thẹ stadium and part of thẹ commaradery has now gone.

Yes, safe standing gets my vote, at thẹ right price. For me I haven't felt thẹ same about it since thẹ old Holte went.

On a side issue, couldn't thẹ club/council designate a certain part of thẹ ground as a standing area and allow standing, but still keep thẹ seats in for half time when people might want to sit. Just a thought!

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
I'm 42 now and would love to be able to stand again.

To be fair, so would Stephen Hawking, but it's just not going to happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal