collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 03:32:08 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The lack of team spirit  (Read 9110 times)

Offline WikiVilla

Re: The lack of team spirit
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »
Are you suggesting the support has not been there this season, take Bolton (a), the support was magnificent. It wasn't the fans that failed to deal with 3 bread & butter set pieces

On Saturday we appeared to not relaise that the minutes silence was over until we booed the team off at half time.
Are you surprised bearing in mind the week we'd had, the crap that was being served up and the incompetence and apathy radiating out from the villa dugout ?

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »
With regards to atmosphere i tend to go in teh North Upper or Lower and it is very rarely that i can hear the Holte. Against man City I sat in the Trinity Upper about 2 blocks from the Holte and whilst I could hear them it wasn't overly loud.

I think that by having the 4 stand alone stands the acoustics are a bit shit

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 12:33:13 PM »
I've been in the north lower about 5 times this year and the atmosphere has been pretty good each time, lots of singing and banter with the away end

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
Are you suggesting the support has not been there this season, take Bolton (a), the support was magnificent. It wasn't the fans that failed to deal with 3 bread & butter set pieces

On Saturday we appeared to not relaise that the minutes silence was over until we booed the team off at half time.
Are you surprised bearing in mind the week we'd had, the crap that was being served up and the incompetence and apathy radiating out from the villa dugout ?

No but that's the problem if we sit their waiting to be inspired.

The only active role we can play is in supporting the side. If that lifts the spirits and the performances of the players then it might give us a better chance of getting out of trouble. Or you could just carry on self indulgently whinging about the manager.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 12:53:51 PM »
I've been in the north lower about 5 times this year and the atmosphere has been pretty good each time, lots of singing and banter with the away end

Wiki I agree

What i was saying that in the Lower North and especially in teh Upper you cant hear the Holte

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »
All I know is, it's been the most depressing season for a long while.

VP has been like a morgue, it's been awful - not enjoyable at all.

If I owned the club, I would be sounding out Sam Allardyce now and getting him in for the remainder of the season only.

He would be able to keep us up, then replace with a long term Manager at the end of the season.

Desperate times need desperate measures.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »
Apparantly theres only 600 tickets from 3000 left for Everton away, everyone should take a scarf and create an atmosphere similar to Blackburn away in the semis last year. Bounce around and sing 'we're the Villa claret and blue army' so we don't have to sing his name. The manager and players might be shit but we should show everyone how good our support is and who knows the players might respond, although i doubt that.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »
Still remember sir Grahams last game at goodison before he took the England job
Best away support ever that day

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »
It is a false argument that if you advocate getting behind behind the team now, in these specific circumstances, then you are blaming the fans for the position we are in;  a clear example of a false dilemma fallacy.

In any case, 23 of our paltry 33 points have been gained at home. It is only now that the major problem is one of confidence as shown by the disparity in performances, if not results, of the last 2 games.

I believe that the great majority of fans will realize that we need to get solidly behind the team for the next few games and put justified criticisms of Houllier to one side; for now, anyway.     

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
Blaming the support is feeble, it's been darned good considering the dross and lethargic attempts of the players & mgmt. No doubt the fans will continue to back them over the next 8 games but let's pray they put some effort into it

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
Blaming the support is feeble...

Read the post above yours.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
Blaming the support is feeble...

Read the post above yours.

yep, makes sense

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 04:54:58 PM »
If players want fan backing and support, they have to work hard and inspire us. Football is entertainment. Play uninspired football, the fans will be uninspired. We can give the support but we don't like pathetic football or lack of hard work.

We also don't have any exciting players apart from Marc Albrighton

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
Bit harsh, overall I think Downing has done well under the circumstances

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »
From now on we, as supporters, have to everything in our power to boost that. To get behind them 110% during game, not to just sit there thinking "here we are now, entertain us

It would be nice

But how many grounds in the country have home support like that?

Certainly none of the "big"clubs. All you hear at the Emirates and Old Trafford are away fans.

I see what you're getting at Chico but our support is completely different to the digital camera wielding tourists you get at Arsenal and Man Utd. The one thing I love about our support is it's still mainly 'old school', pre-Sky, local fans that have been brought up to support the Villa. Even those that have no direct link with the club could hardly be called 'glory-hunters'.

Just for the record, I have to say our support has once again been absolutely superb this season, especially away from home. However I think Chris is spot-on with what he said. Maybe like some of the players/manager, some fans are far too comfortable and don't see the need to put in the effort. You know yourself, when Villa Park rocks there's no better place to be and the countless times over the years with the clock ticking down, the fans have willed the ball into the back of the net.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal