collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The lack of team spirit  (Read 9111 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
The lack of team spirit
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »
Could it be that so many players have already worked out that for various reasons they won't be at Villa Park next season is breaking down any cohesion in the side? I'ts a given that AY will be off in the summer, Dunne and Collins after  their latest pantomime will probably be gone, NRC has refused to sign a new contract and will go, Petrov will be moved on, even Gabby after being played on the left which he hates may decide to leave and Pires will not get anymore time. That's a fair few of the senior squad and maybe why we see so lack of  committment. Just a thought.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
Re: The lack of team spirit
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
Add Freidel, osbourne, Salifou, Ireland, Baye etc to that list whatever happens it will be a new team next year.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »
The team will be changed for next season that's for sure.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
Too many players in the squad who really don't give a fook...

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
I don't think there has been a lack of commitment from the majority of the squad, there have been some shit performances but that's another thing.

It's more to do with fragile confidence I reckon.

From now on we, as supporters, have to everything in our power to boost that. To get behind them 110% during game, not to just sit there thinking "here we are now, entertain us".

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
From now on we, as supporters, have to everything in our power to boost that. To get behind them 110% during game, not to just sit there thinking "here we are now, entertain us".
Agree that we need to get behind the team, then it's up to them.

And no more fucking banners.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:23:09 AM »
Are you suggesting the support has not been there this season, take Bolton (a), the support was magnificent. It wasn't the fans that failed to deal with 3 bread & butter set pieces

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:15 AM »
Agree that we need to get behind the team, then it's up to them.

And no more fucking banners.

The Holte is the 12th man don't you know, anyone who sees themselves as a 12th man must have a GCSE grade 'E' or above in graphic design, a 'U' in psychology and philosophy is also desirable.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
I think the problem we have is that they aren't 'buying into' the managers vision and are playing how he asks, but without any real zest.  I don't think he has the motivational powers to take them where he wants them to be as a team.

On the issue of players who won't be here next season, I put it into two categories:-

1.  Those that are gone no matter what - Ash, NRC, Ireland, Freidel (might stay but wil be out of the side), Carew, Beye, Heskey

2.  Those who are gone if Houllier stays, but might be retained and re-motivated by a new manager - Dunne, Collins, L Young, Warnock

I don't think the likes of Salifou have any bearing on how the first 11 is playing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:47:06 AM by John M »

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »
Are you suggesting the support has not been there this season, take Bolton (a), the support was magnificent. It wasn't the fans that failed to deal with 3 bread & butter set pieces

On Saturday we appeared to not relaise that the minutes silence was over until we booed the team off at half time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:09:36 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
From now on we, as supporters, have to everything in our power to boost that. To get behind them 110% during game, not to just sit there thinking "here we are now, entertain us

It would be nice

But how many grounds in the country have home support like that?

Certainly none of the "big"clubs. All you hear at the Emirates and Old Trafford are away fans.

So how come their players manage to show a bit of spirit without depending on people cheering them?

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »

It's been terrible on the whole. We have a big part to play here, get behind them and hope to suck a couple of goals into the net, give them stick from the first whistle and further dent already fragile confidence.

Of course there needs to be a bit more skill and commitment from the players, but I think our job is to try to affect things rather than just react.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »

On Saturday we appeared to not relaise that the minutes silence was over until we booed the team off at half time.

Funny but rather sad as well.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16:17 PM »
From now on we, as supporters, have to everything in our power to boost that. To get behind them 110% during game, not to just sit there thinking "here we are now, entertain us

It would be nice

Certainly none of the "big"clubs. All you hear at the Emirates and Old Trafford are away fans.

So how come their players manage to show a bit of spirit without depending on people cheering them?

As I said, I think it's a confidence thing. We're lacking in it at present and it doesn't take much to knock it out of them.

It's down to the players to get us out of it but if getting behind the shirts (regardless of who is wearing them) for a few weeks helps then we need to do it.

Offline vilan461

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

It would be nice

Precisely, we are talking about Professional footballers for pity,s sake, they are paid to do a job,yes we must play our part and good vocal support is essential---but the boys on the pitch must put a shift in,a true pro should be able to perform whether the backing is moderate or loud ----strewth its rare that the Old Traford and Stamford Bridge crowds are heard until their side finds the net.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal