collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Comparison to Clueless  (Read 6798 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
Comparison to Clueless
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
Comparison to Clueless

A friend just remarked to me that were things as bad under a previous f***wit?

Fortunately there are resources available for us to answer this question.

With 8 games to go in his last season in charge we were sitting in 14th position with 34 points and 10 off a relegation spot.

We had JUST lost to Everton away 4-1. The infamous 5-0 to the Arse was just around the corner and the first (overdue) home win over the Blues was about to materialise.

Eventually we finished 16th, 8 points off relegation with Sunderland performing the astounding success of managing to somehow win 1 home league game all season.

Our magnificent line up went like this:

Sorensen, Hughes (Samuel 29), Mellberg, Ridgewell, Bouma, Gardner (Hendrie 57), Davis, McCann, Barry, Moore, Agbonlahor.
Subs Not Used: Taylor, Djemba-Djemba, Whittingham.

Compare that to the shower of shite that performed their disappearing act against the Dingles:

Friedel, Cuellar, Baker, Walker, Downing, Young, Albrighton, Makoun, Reo-coker, Herd, Bent.
Subs Delph, Agbonlahor, Pires, Petrov, Heskey, Bradley, Marshall.

We sit 14th again, strangely Everton to play again away next and 1 point off a relegation spot.

Because we are playing the way we are we may have to rely on the other teams losing in order to keep us in the Prem rather than hanging on to the fallacy of GH or the inept players somehow keeping us up by doing the things they have been doing.

I would say we wont get nothing out of the toffees game unless its the first half effort against Man City at home. The make or break game is Newcastle. Lose that and he will be sacked the next day despite whats coming out of the club. Sid Cowans as caretaker for the final 6.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Comparison to Clueless
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
Lose that and he will be sacked the next day despite whats coming out of the club.
Bet you he doesn't.

In fact, I wouldn't bet against us going down and him being kept on.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
Lose that and he will be sacked the next day despite whats coming out of the club.
Bet you he doesn't.

Surely not, i cannot see how he could survive relegating us

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
I think he will be gone if we lose the next 2. I think we will get a point and then a nervy win though. The Newcastle game is massive, they have been in awful form and I reckon we will turn them over, just. Everton has become such a big game that I reckon the side will be more solid, with Collins, Cuellar, Luke Young left back and Walker making a much more robust back 4, Reo Coker and Delph in midfield, with maybe even Gabby, Young, Downing, Bent making up the rest up there. We will get a point. After that brief ray of hope though, I reckon we will still drop on about 40, with only a win against Wigan to come.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
Bet you he doesn't.

Any manager who "achieves" the quite rare feat of relegating Aston Villa should be handed his P45 straight after the final whistle.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
Bet you he doesn't.

Any manager who "achieves" the quite rare feat of relegating Aston Villa should be handed his P45 straight after the final whistle.

He should be handed it now for putting us in this position in the first place.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »
with maybe even Gabby, Young, Downing, Bent making up the rest up there.

Of course Gabby will be on the left, Downing on the right, Young as the non-scoring "withdrawn"striker. Oh happy days

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »
Bet you he doesn't.

Villa have been relegated 5 times, I have been `priveleged` enough to witness 3 of these seasons.

1935/36 No manager in charge. The board had re-assumed control after sacking our first manager Jimmy McMullen at the end of October.

1958/59. Joe Mercer. Had arrived 1/12/58  but couldnt save us. Brought us back up and stayed for 5 1/2 years.

1966/67. Dick Taylor. Was manager since 1964. Left 18 days after the final game of relegation season.

1969/70. Vic Crowe. Had arrived 1/1/70  but couldnt save us. Brought us back up and stayed for 4 1/2 years.

1986/87. Billy McNeill. Had arrived 22/9/86. Left with us already relegated and  a game to go. 

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
Bet you he doesn't.

I think he'd go, I don't think he'd want to manage in the Championship and I don't think he'd be the right man to bring us back up.

That said, I have decided that we're not going down so it's a moot point.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »

Well that makes me feel better, but I wish you'd decided to do that earlier in the season, this has left things a bit late!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »

Well that makes me feel better, but I wish you'd decided to do that earlier in the season, this has left things a bit late!

I know, sorry but I've been busy.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
Bet you he doesn't.

My reasoning is because he came out of "retirement" with perhaps in his mind some unfinished business with club management in England. Just like Taylor Mk II. As usual the game has moved on and he is like a rabbit in the headlights where he has managed to alienate both the players and the fans. However he manages to relegate us he simply wont be the man to take us back up.  Clueless had in my view worse players that Houllier has now. Instant Dismissal.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
Don't get me wrong remy, I agree with you.
I'm just sensing some bullishness from the board.

'We appointed him and we're sticking by him no matter what.'

A recipe for disaster, of course.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 03:46:19 PM »
I've never believed in a Manager less.

I like him as a person, but as a Villa Manager NO - Randy certainly can't be singing Edith Piaf's famous song....

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »
I'm fairly certain Houllier is a much better manager than O'Leary. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm a better manager than David O'Leary.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal