collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Back to basics  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Back to basics
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »
Yeah, I should have thought that particular connotation through before posting.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
Yet when we did play 4-4-2 virtually exclusively we got overrun in midfield and failed to create.  We simply shouldn't be married to either and be able to change as the game dictates.

John M on a `Back to Basics' thread.

What is grey and smells of Currie?

Yikes!

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
Pires seems to be left out here. His experience is what we need in these dark hours. The rest we are stuck with until next time.
I just hope we can keep our heads and escape in the confusion.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »

4-5-1 at Everton for me,   Clark and Carlos in the middle, with probably LYoung at LB.

Central midfield 3 of Makoun, NRC, and probably Bradley.For me we looked a small team on sat, and need a bit more height in the team.
  I mighteven consider playing Carlos at RB, and bringing Collins in.   

Dunne and Warnock.......never again for me.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 07:00:56 PM »
Could somebody teach Stewart Downing how to cross a ball and Ashley Young to take a corner?

Agree with you about the corners Mark, but Downing delivered some wicked crosses on Saturday, one that Makoun should have scored with.

Second half, Downing was mainly relying on Walker to put the ball into the box. Downing for all his speed, skill and effort must average about one decent cross per game. We normally score from it but it's still a very poor return.

Yeah but you implied he can't cross a ball, but I gave an example of when he did put in a decent cross. It is a poor average but he can cross a ball, he just doesn't do it enough.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
Could somebody teach Stewart Downing how to cross a ball and Ashley Young to take a corner?

Agree with you about the corners Mark, but Downing delivered some wicked crosses on Saturday, one that Makoun should have scored with.

Second half, Downing was mainly relying on Walker to put the ball into the box. Downing for all his speed, skill and effort must average about one decent cross per game. We normally score from it but it's still a very poor return.

Yeah but you implied he can't cross a ball, but I gave an example of when he did put in a decent cross. It is a poor average but he can cross a ball, he just doesn't do it enough.

It's an extremely poor average, in fact I'd fancy my chances of matching it. It's all very well and good spending £18m on Bent but a waste if we can't give him service. It was the same last season, poor Gabby had to fight for scraps from our wingers. I'd have hoped GH would have picked up on it by now. We all know that if we get the ball into the box Bent will be there or there abouts. We're just not doing it enough and Downing really has to hold his hand up as the main culprit. Every other part of his game (tackling apart, I've given up on that) is fine. He drives forward with the ball at amazing pace, all he needs to do it get the bloody ball into the box. Bent will do the rest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal