collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Back to basics  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Back to basics
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
Having thought about it, I think our best best of staying up is for Le Twat to return our line up to as near as he can to the one that wasn't too bad for the past three seasons.  By this I mean getting Young (L), Stan and Collins back in the team, playing Gabby alongside Bent and Young (A) on the wing.

The current mob clearly aren't doing it and I believe there would be a better sense of togetherness and collective spirit.  It's not a time for the younger lads - well not as many as we are playing at present, especially if we concede the first goal at home.  It's a time for men to stand up and earn their money.

Those are my thoughts, so I'll await the backlash...

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: Back to basics
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »
Up front I reckon we need Heskey and Bent, with gabby to come on if we're chasing a goal.

Also, Young should be dropped immediately. We don't need players with no commitment and zero passion, who also happen to fail to deliver every game.

Offline Ross

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
Up front I reckon we need Heskey and Bent, with gabby to come on if we're chasing a goal.

Also, Young should be dropped immediately. We don't need players with no commitment and zero passion, who also happen to fail to deliver every game.

Honestly - Young has zero commitment?  You watch a different game to me.  I don't dispute he isn't playing well, but to say he has no commitment and zero passion is in my humble opion a load of bull.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
I'd go halfway between now and these basics.

Something like

Friedel

Walker  Collins  Clark  LYoung

Albrighton NRC  Makoun/Petrov  Delph  AYoung/Downing

Bent

If we are chasing I'd bring Gabby/Heskey on for one of the three (prob Makoun/Petrov) and put him up top with Bent.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
Away from home I would go with your side Sandman, at home though I would have Heskey in for Makoun/ Petrov. It is the strongest line up we can stick out, maybe Cuellar in for Clark. Luke Young always does well at left back, Walker was the only one still trying at the end against Wolves. Heskey at home at least means we can hit him early if need be and there is someone to battle for the ball to relieve pressure.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »
It isn't AYs committment in question it is his belief that somehow because he wants to play midfield it makes him a midfielder.
Back to basics is a good call, apart from Clark i would play senior players when availeable. Young on one wing Downing on the other, Bent and Gabby up front, Cuellar and Dunne centre backs, Walker and Clark full backs. The midfield is the problem
still don't think we have the real mongrel in us to do well there.

Offline luke25

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
Mentioned a couple of times that I was sat next to the tunnel on saturday, anyway as the players come off the only two that looked anything like bothered were Ash and strangely Petrov, even though he was'nt playing, you can question Youngs set pieces and petulance etc but its hard to question his effort and desire

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:27 PM »
Could somebody teach Stewart Downing how to cross a ball and Ashley Young to take a corner?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
Could somebody teach Stewart Downing how to cross a ball and Ashley Young to take a corner?

Somebody probably could, yes.

Unfortunately it would appear that such a person cannot be found on our coaching staff. Either that or the two young rapscallions are messing around.

Tell you what: I'll have a word in Fabio's shell like and see if he can't arrange something while they are on international duty.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 03:29:04 AM »

Agree with you about the corners Mark, but Downing delivered some wicked crosses on Saturday, one that Makoun should have scored with.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 03:31:49 AM »
I'd go with the following in the next game

Friedel

Walker Collins Cuellar Young (L)

Young (A)  Reo Coker Delph Downing

Bent Gabby

Subs: Marshall, Dunne, Baker, Petrov, Heskey, Makoun, Albrighton. 

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »
To Chris Smith's Eternal anguish, i'd go 4-4-2 with Bent and Heskey up front.
The current system isn't working and nobody can tell me we're getting the best out of Young in that position.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »
Wasnt `Back to basics` the rallying call and initiative to relaunch John Majors government ?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:03 AM »
We're pissing in the wind with these suggestions though.
The obstinate bastard will carry his tactics through to the bitter end, with the emphasis being on bitter.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 07:46:23 AM »
Why is randy dithering ? we know what's coming at Goodison ! We will be 2 down inside 15 minutes and end up with a drubbing

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal