collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Clampy
[Today at 08:56:11 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:54:07 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why no Heskey ?  (Read 17274 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Why no Heskey ?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 04:45:33 PM »
For those suggesting 4-4-2 who do you suggest as the central 2?

We used it with some success in previous seasons but thatvwas beacuse we had top class players in Barry and then Milner who made it work. We don't have anyone of that calibre now.
It can work with Makoun and Petrov/NRC.
We only have a central 2 now, Young provides very little help for them.
Also, is it written in stone that we HAVE to play 2 wingers, that's left us open in the middle for some seasons now.

Chris, are you actually advocating this system that clearly doesn't work?

When things don't work, you have to try a different approach.

As i've said a hundred times, Ashley has 6 league goals as the second striker, he surely scored more than that when he was on the wing.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:47:11 PM by Rip Van Bentfletch »

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
I think 4-3-3 would be better to be honest. If we're going to go down, let's go down attacking.

---------------------Friedel------------------
---Walker---Cuellar---Collins---Clark---
-------------------Reo-Coker---------------
---------Makoun--------------Delph-------
----------Gabby----------------Bent-------
---------------------Heskey-----------------

Bit harsh on Albrighton and Downing, and to be honest Ashley can go fuck himself.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
Mark, NRC and Makoun struggled against Wolves yesterday and that was the extra support they were getting from Young and Downing. If they had to play a flat 4-4-2 against anyone decent they'd get murdered. I'd put Delph in there as he is quicker and shows more drive but I wouldn't fundamentally change the system.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »
Mark, NRC and Makoun struggled against Wolves yesterday and that was the extra supportbthey were getting from Young and Downing. If they had to play a flat 4-4-2 against anyone decent they'd get murdered. I'd put Delph in there as he is quicker and shows more drive but I wouldn't fundamentally change the system.
If we play 4-4-2, they'd still get support from Young and Downing, why would that change?

You'd carry on with the system we're using then?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:16:32 PM by Rip Van Bentfletch »

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
Personally, I'd drop either Young or Downing for Barry Bannan but we've loaned him out. We have a good striker we cannot get the ball too because we have little attacking influence from central midfield other than a winger who cannot weight a pass well enough. Bent thrives on through balls that Young cannot deliver... A bit like the ball from Makoun to set up Young yesterday.

The useless formation we are playing lacks all the advantages of a true 4-5-1 or 4-4-2. Few top teams play 4-4-2 but absolutely none play three wingers. Young is fucking off in the summer so why try to accomodate him in a position that blunts his efficacy even if he wants it? If he complains drop him.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
Mark, NRC and Makoun struggled against Wolves yesterday and that was the extra support they were getting from Young and Downing. If they had to play a flat 4-4-2 against anyone decent they'd get murdered. I'd put Delph in there as he is quicker and shows more drive but I wouldn't fundamentally change the system.

Well Delph cant play there as the manager you admire so much Chris has him playing @ left back

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 06:12:57 PM »

Well Delph cant play there as the manager you admire so much Chris has him playing @ left back

Don't be such an arse.

Firstly, where have I said I "admire him so much"?

Secondly, he was at left back because of injuries and suspensions.

Thirdly, it is at not @.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:56 PM »
Chris in fairness to him has not said he admires or loves the manager, simply that it would be folly to act now and that we should hold our nerve until the summer, a fairly sensible view but not one that will quell the worries.

I agree on playing Delph centrally Chris, and I think Warnock and Beye should be utilised at Everton if the need is there. In fact at Goodison I would still play 4-5-1, but a genuine one, with 3 propper central midfield players in Delph, Makoun and Reo Coker. Young wide left, Downing wide right of Bent but tucking in and playing back. At least the side would have solidity. Baker, Collins, Cuellar, Walker at the back.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
I'd agree with that, Ozz other than I'd be wary of Baker again would prefer Clark or Young if available.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
we are playing 4-4-2, Young is dropping off, but its still 4-4-2. you could argue its4-4-1-1 but it dosent make much difference we are playing 2 central midfield players and 2 wingers

Offline eastie

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »
He wont go 442 and if he did i would rather bent and gabby than heskey- houllier will not change the formation thats for sure, having worked at it all season.

The problem is lack of passion, spirit,and inspiration- the players can create chances but the defending has been shocking all season and ash should be out wide , not in the hole.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 06:38:10 PM »
Clark would be there for me too, but is suspended Chris at Goodison. I would put him straight back in when fit though!

Offline eastie

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
I thought clark was banned for one game?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:26 PM »
He wont go 442 and if he did i would rather bent and gabby than heskey- houllier will not change the formation thats for sure, having worked at it all season.

The problem is lack of passion, spirit,and inspiration- the players can create chances but the defending has been shocking all season and ash should be out wide , not in the hole.

What formation do you think he is playing?

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 07:17:08 PM »

What formation do you think he is playing?

4 5 1

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal