collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Players lack of fight  (Read 13944 times)

Offline UsualSuspect

Re: Players lack of fight
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »
What summed it up for me was in the second half when if Downing had sprinted into the challenge he would have made it a 50/50 instead he though sod this and slowed down.

We have relegation written all over us, far to many players not prepared to stand up and be counted,

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
If I had put in such a day's work I would expect to get a right rollocking, and I worked for myself

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 11:49:56 AM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned but watching that yesterday bore similarities with the Newcastle game of a couple of seasons ago, when they needed a win to stay up. That day Newcastle had no fight in them, no one busting a gut and no desire. Yesterday Villa were Newcastle, the difference is we have time to put it right but the application needs to be there as yesterday was embarrassing.

I have been noticing the similarities with Newcastle all season. For one, we have appointed an over-the-hill manager who is unable to motivate his players and basically hasnt a clue.

Newcastle got rid of Kinnear when they looked doomed, but the problem was bringing in a rookie like Shearer.

My mates a Newcastle fan and he said that for the first 3 quarters of the season he just kept thinking that the players they had were too good to go down until it finally dawned that they lacked enough spirit to stay up.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
I have no doubt with senior players back we have a squad that should be to good for those around us, the problem is no-one is showing leadership on the pitch, AY is the captain why i don't know because he was lucky not to get sent of on Saturday with his show of petulance.

Offline Merv

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
It's a reasonable parallel to draw - the season Newcastle went down also started in crisis with Keegan leaving suddenly; they never really recovered, made an appointment that didn't work out, and couldn't get out of trouble. Similar sized club, several senior players who just didn't perform, etc.

The players are really concerning me. Many of the senior players seem to have issues with the manager for various reasons - so much so that in the middle of a defensive crisis we have two players who could help us sitting it out, and we also have injury problems rearing up again. Is it a coincidence that Dunne and Collins, obviously critical of the management, are now both injured? Can't help wondering if they'd have been fit for O'Neill. I don't get that feeling that we have players wanting to bust a gut for Houllier.

What worried me more were Gabby's quotes last week that the players weren't thinking or talking about relegation. They f***** well need to be.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
My mates a Newcastle fan and he said that for the first 3 quarters of the season he just kept thinking that the players they had were too good to go down until it finally dawned that they lacked enough spirit to stay up.

If we go down that will be why.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
I was pretty much apoplectic after the game, I cant remember ever being that angry after a Villa game for many a year.

The lack of any desire made my blood boil, we can slate Houiller but you'd have hoped that the players would have a bit of professional pride, they don't give a shit, if we go down some other mugs will be paying their 40k a week wages, we'll be travelling to Barsnley but it wont matter to these players.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
We lack a leader. Like him or loathe him but MON was the leader at the club and GH just isn't. On the pitch we have never replaced Martin Laursen and if we had him now we would not be anywhere enar relegation.

Whatever happens we need to find a leader for next season.

Offline Merv

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
It's a bad mix right now - too many senior players with an axe to grind, or fully aware that they won't be at the club next season; and a group of promising young players who have been pressed into action in a tough situation.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
What summed it up for me was in the second half when if Downing had sprinted into the challenge he would have made it a 50/50 instead he though sod this and slowed down.

We have relegation written all over us, far to many players not prepared to stand up and be counted,

I saw that, but Downing has always been like that. IMO he was one of the better players on Sat along with Carlos and Albrighton.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
Its not fight, its a distinct lack of confidence and an inability to defend.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »
and score goals

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal