collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:47:05 PM]

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:40:20 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 01:28:47 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 01:25:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If we get relegated ?  (Read 17287 times)

Online Billy Walker

Re: If we get relegated ?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
It's the away games coming up that worry me. I really can't see us getting anything at Everton or West Ham with GH in charge unfortunatley.

I can see us getting points in the same way that we battled at Chelsea.  We have the players, we have more than enough ability, too.  There's absolutely no room for negativity in this situation. It's time to get together and give it 110%.  Everton are our old rivals and I'm sure they'd love to give us a beating, but an Aston Villa that's up for it will not be leaving Goodison without some points on the board.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 12:21:26 PM »
It's the away games coming up that worry me. I really can't see us getting anything at Everton or West Ham with GH in charge unfortunatley.

I can see us getting points in the same way that we battled at Chelsea.  We have the players, we have more than enough ability, too.  There's absolutely no room for negativity in this situation. It's time to get together and give it 110%.  Everton are our old rivals and I'm sure they'd love to give us a beating, but an Aston Villa that's up for it will not be leaving Goodison without some points on the board.

If Houllier can't raise the team for a home game against our local rivals, then I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for any of the remaining games.  All that bollocks pre-match about a "surprising level of unity and spirit".  I don't think I've been less surprised in my life.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »

but an Aston Villa that's up for it will not be leaving Goodison without some points on the board.

hmmmmmmm

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 12:24:43 PM »

I hope similar spirit is shown in the dressing room. To be fair to Houllier (and I've been slagging him off something rotten on other threads) that Chelsea performance you refer to did come totally out of the blue. I didn't think he had it in him to inspire something like that. We're going to need a few more rabbits out of hats in the run-in.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
I do not buy into this "get behind the lads" cliche.   It's like the "stand up if you love Villa" bollocks.   Of course we are behind the lads, of course we love the Villa.   We woiuld not be there is it were not so.   We want to see the same level of commitment to Aston Villa by the players and the coaching staff as we, the fans, display.

Yesterday, one match out of my season ticket plus a tank of fuel for the 220 mile round trip cost the entire amount of my state pension.   That was nothing compared with my younger son who flew in from Austin Texas for the game and that in turn was nothing compared with our friend Jarno who drives from Arnhem in Holland for games and has to spend two nights in a motel either side of the game.   All to see fucking garbage like that.

There is nothing wrong with the fans.   They are about the only thing which is right about us at the moment.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
I think there is absolutely no chance of keeping our best young players. Albrighton and Clark will be certain to leave and if Leeds come up and Bannan and Lichaj impress in the rest of the season they will be gone too. Gabby might stay if he has not been completely dispirited this season. As for the rest I expect we will need a fire sale of the high earners to save our finances. I doubt any have relegation clauses. I expect a few players will stay on possibly some of the more experienced guys maybe Petrov, Dunne, Collins and Luke Young especially if we put Le Gaffeur out of his misery. We will keep some of the better young players too like Hogg, Herd, Fonz, Weimann, Baker and Lowry and some of the guys who are too young to have broken through yet will make an impact like Deeney, Gardner and Johnson. On top of that we will get a few old hands experienced at the level. Nobody good but they will help.

It's not certain we will come straight back up.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »
Albrighton,Clark,Bannan,Lichaj have all recently signed new contracts.They have also come through the ranks at Villa and love the club.I would hope they would stay on if the worst was to happen.

Offline nadz3488

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
Come May 23rd, I hope we'll all be looking at this thread as some sort of joke.

On a side note, if we were to get relegated, we'll be steamrolling everyone in the Championship. Winky thing.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »
Gabby would stay I think , cant see him going anywhere else - ever and he would terrorise Championship defences.

After the way he's been treated this year by Houllier?!

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
Gabby would stay I think , cant see him going anywhere else - ever and he would terrorise Championship defences.

Houllier would be gone if we went down

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »

But would he have already made his mind up to leave?

For what it's worth I think we'll keep everyone bar Ash.  You've got to remember that they're all still on the silly wages MON signed them on and clubs would only take them off our hands on the cheap.  As long as we got back to the Prem at the first time of asking we wouldn't need to sell to balance the books as the parachute payment is so much better than it used to be - this is exactly how Newcastle could afford to retain all their players.

Don't bank on season tickets being any cheaper either - the argument will be that you're getting 3 more games for the same price!!

Offline Cuz

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
yes and without giving us a second thought thats why Randy must act now

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »
The kids are alright according to those two lesbians in that movie and Townsend and Daltry so don't sweat it.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
Would the team look like this

Marshall           

Lichaj      Cuellar    Clark       Baker

Albrighton    Herd   Delph     Bannan

Fonz      Weimann

Or would we be stripped to even barer bones than this.

I am on my second bottle of wine and on overdrive.Sorry

Don't.....

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:25 PM »
I hate these sort of threads but surely we wouldn't be under some sort of transfer embargo and we could actually sign some new players?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal