collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Agbonlahor donates to Birmingham Children's Hospital  (Read 12826 times)

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: Agbonlahor donates to Birmingham Children's Hospital
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
A fantastic gesture? For sure.  But I don't really like hearing about the charitable deeds of extremely wealthy individuals. It undermines what ordinary people do day-in, day-out.  In terms of disposable income, is Gabby giving £100,000 to charity really more generous than an OAP putting £10 of her state pension into a collection tin?

Does it matter how much was donated? It's a very kind gesture, that's all.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
A fantastic gesture? For sure.  But I don't really like hearing about the charitable deeds of extremely wealthy individuals. It undermines what ordinary people do day-in, day-out.  In terms of disposable income, is Gabby giving £100,000 to charity really more generous than an OAP putting £10 of her state pension into a collection tin?

It's not the amount, it's the necessity to go public about it - and in doing so giving the impression that somehow if you are in a fortunate position to give a large amount of money, somehow your charitable giving is more worthy than other people's.

I don't know Gabby, but I get the impression that this gesture is genuine and heartfelt.  But equally, there will be thousands of people up and down the country giving and fun raising for their local hospital.  They are not in the fortunate position to give six-figure sums or have regular weekday afternoons off to visit the wards, but that doesn't mean that their efforts aren't equally genuine and heartfelt.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:22:13 PM by TopDeck113 »

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I'm sure the hospital are glad of the raised awareness that this publicity brings and will be hoping that it helps attract other donors.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 01:08:18 AM »
Fantastic gesture. Really hope Gabby can find some form and stay with Villa for years. Top man ............

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 11:03:43 PM »
I always like to see this kind of stuff. I've worked at a hospital for years and I can't tell you how happy it makes some people to take their mind off their treatment even if it's only a few minutes. The money's fantastic and I hope the hospital do loads with it, but coming and giving up his time like that, making the kids and the staff happy, is priceless.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »

It's not the amount, it's the necessity to go public about it - and in doing so giving the impression that somehow if you are in a fortunate position to give a large amount of money, somehow your charitable giving is more worthy than other people's.

I don't know Gabby, but I get the impression that this gesture is genuine and heartfelt.  But equally, there will be thousands of people up and down the country giving and fun raising for their local hospital.  They are not in the fortunate position to give six-figure sums or have regular weekday afternoons off to visit the wards, but that doesn't mean that their efforts aren't equally genuine and heartfelt.

Maybe he did it anonymously and the story got out. It's hard to keep something like that quiet.

Offline nadz3488

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 12:30:51 PM »
Nice one Gabby. Our players are so lovely aren't they? I really enjoy watching the players' regular trips to Acorns.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal