collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 08:20:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:19:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:18:22 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by basavfc
[Today at 08:18:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 08:18:13 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:18:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:17:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 08:17:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Grass roots/Sunday League thread  (Read 6652 times)

Offline AV1874

• GM : Jul, 2012
Grass roots/Sunday League thread
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:25:16 AM »
Going off the Non-League thread let's hear from those of you who still have a knock around on the park in your local county.

I'll be sharing some of my grass roots refereeing this season so it'd be good to hear from those of you in local teams.

At the moment, we have trials on over here in Aus and I've already done a local PL trial with some coming up in the coupe of weekends that I have been confirmed to officiate.

Offline glasses

Re: Grass roots/Sunday League thread
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »
I dont play at the minute, but want to next season. I used to play Sunday leagues, at a pretty rubbish standard it must be said. Im in the process of losing some weight and getting fit, for general purposes really, but Id love to play again. Im 25, so I reckon I could start up again, although it has been about 5 years since I have played on grass properly. So if anyone needs players for the Brum area, give me a shout.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
Bing binng Alex Russon to this thread

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:36:05 PM »
I play in Sutton league 2 and we currently sit at the top of the table although the chasing pack has a few games in hand over us. We still have to play them all in the last 5 games of the season and 4 of those games are at home. The title run in starts on Sunday with an eagerly awaited tie against Streetly away.

Being one of the teams veterans I’ve found my home at right back and not renowned for my goal scoring ability I’m now the only member of the team without a goal to his name this season after our midfielder scored on Sunday

Offline AV1874

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
Does anyone play in the Staffordshire Sunday League? I used to officiate on that.

BNS, how many points clear are you and how many games in hand are you talking? Enough to knock you off the perch if games go the opposition's way?

This week I have trial PL games and I am reffing with my partner for the first time which we are both looking forward to.
Last year these two were at opposite ends of the table, but surprisingly enough in both reserves and first grade in the last game of the season, the lower team took the game to the higher positioned team and smashed them. It will be an interesting game, most of one team are of Macedonian descent and the other team are mainly Aussies with a couple of dodgy Poms in there. :)
Both teams I enjoy reffing so it will be a good match to referee and report back on.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:16:53 PM by AV1874 »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
I dont play at the minute, but want to next season. I used to play Sunday leagues, at a pretty rubbish standard it must be said. Im in the process of losing some weight and getting fit, for general purposes really, but Id love to play again. Im 25, so I reckon I could start up again, although it has been about 5 years since I have played on grass properly. So if anyone needs players for the Brum area, give me a shout.

I run a reserve team 2 divisions beneath Kent Neilsen's Screamer, so drop me a pm and we'll get you in pre-season. We train and play at Holly Lane in Erdington.

If you're shit though, I reserve the right to ridicule you on this website.

Our season has followed last, a good start hindered by a the first team losing about 6 players long term so we've been sratching for a team at times, but the last few weeks have settled down and we're going well again.

Personally, I've played right back, centre forward, in goal but lately back in the middle where I can disguise my lack of mobilty with aerial dominence and pin-point passing and the odd 'reducer'.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I play in Sutton league 2 and we currently sit at the top of the table although the chasing pack has a few games in hand over us. We still have to play them all in the last 5 games of the season and 4 of those games are at home. The title run in starts on Sunday with an eagerly awaited tie against Streetly away.

Being one of the teams veterans I’ve found my home at right back and not renowned for my goal scoring ability I’m now the only member of the team without a goal to his name this season after our midfielder scored on Sunday

I believe that's the trophy you're playing for, the Betty Roberts Shield, lifted by the dynamic, all-action captain at Bescot in 2004.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 02:46:14 PM »

BNS, how many points clear are you and how many games in hand are you talking? Enough to knock you off the perch if games go the opposition's way?

Coleshill Athletic            15  10   2   3   43   25  32
      The Unit                        15  10   0   5   49   27  30
      Streetly St George           12   8   2   2   37   20  26
      Hundred Acre                  12   7   2   3   38   30  23
      Dresden Malt Shovel           14   7   1   6   36   38  22
      Stechford United              12   6   2   4   35   20  20

We’ve still got to play 2nd, 3rd, 4th  and 6th.

It’s tight and if SSG win there games in hand they can go above us, hence the big game on Sunday. The previous meeting between the two teams finished 1-1 so were pretty evenly matched (I hope).

Obviously we’d like to go up as champions but promotion is a real possibility barring a monumental f*** up

I run a reserve team 2 divisions beneath Kent Neilsen's Screamer, so drop me a pm and we'll get you in pre-season. We train and play at Holly Lane in Erdington.

Personally, I've played right back, centre forward, in goal but lately back in the middle where I can disguise my lack of mobilty with aerial dominence and pin-point passing and the odd 'reducer'.

We'll have to have another pre season friendly if you fancy it as last years was alright.

Offline AV1874

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
Nothing to report this morning, just about all games including round games as well as trials were washed out except those on synthetic pitches which was all of two pitches in NSW.

:(

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »
New table after our 2-1 victory on Sunday.

Coleshill Athletic            16  11   2   3   45   26  35
      The Unit                      16  10   0   6   51   33  30
      Streetly St George        13   8   2   3   38   22  26
      Dresden Malt Shovel      15   8   1   6   38   39  25
      Hundred Acre               12   7   2   3   38   30  23
      Stechford United           12   6   2   4   35   20  20
      Minworth Social FC         14   6   2   6   29   33  20

Next game up is against The Unit at home.

Offline AV1874

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:12 PM »
My partner and I are reffing together tonight, we haven't been told what trial it is, just that we are needed. I was supposed to be attending an assessor's seminar, but that will go to the sideline so to speak with the game tonight.

I am hoping to ref with him on Saturday as I have requested for us to be together on trials as much as possible.

As he is our cadet referee appointments officer he gets the draws for the rounds early so we get to see the clashes of the round. We've already started talking about which games are going to be the best to get. :D

Offline AV1874

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 06:40:42 AM »
Round one of local district, I had a reserve grade premier league game and was fairly flat throughout. I didn't have a bad game, but missed a penalty call. I was fairly sure it wasn't from my angle, but my AR disagreed with me at half time and so did my partner who was watching and is a ref.
Fortunately the team affected was 5-0 up so I got away with it. I briefly apologised to the player as I am not one to be arrogant and then got on with the second half.

Offline Linus

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 07:31:28 AM »
My team are in 3rd in our division and have to win our last 3 games to finish second. On Sunday we played 4th, albeit with a depleted side, and lost 4-0. Bugger. Oh well, there's always the cup (and I guess 3rd is a good season).

Offline AV1874

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 02:34:46 AM »
We had a washed out round again, I received some last minute NSW Premier Youth League appointments on the Saturday morning and when I turned up to the stadium, most of the pitch was under water so I made the decision to call the games off. My district games in the afternoon had already been suspended and this weekend, because of Easter, there are no district level games.
So, another weekend off from district games, fortunately I have NSW youth league appointments from the washed out Saturday, other than that, twiddling thumbs and more practicing of the fitness test for me!

Offline LeeB

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
Season 2011/2012 now underway.

Erdington AFC have strengthened well during the summer, which means both 1st and 2nd teams should be strong enough to compete for their respective divisions this year, and as a result I'll probably spend more time 'managing' (stop laughing back there) as opposed to playing.

So with confidence sky high, both teams conspired to lose on Sunday, 1st team to Sutton Gate 2-1, us to Crown Warriors 2-0, with me having to bring myself on for the last half hour upfront, to provide some practical examples to my charges in 'controlling a football' and 'passing to someone on your own team', amongst other things.

FFS.

Anyway, most notable thing of the day was finding former Walsall, Wolves and West Ham striker David Kelly playing in goal for Sutton Gate. I kid you not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal