collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FA Youth Cup Semi-Final  (Read 16509 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: FA Youth Cup Semi-Final
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
Never really in this match. Sheff Utd were much the smarter, quicker team all over the park.  They passed the ball better than us, moved around much better and generally bossed us.  In fact I do not think we had a shot on target all evening, typified when Carruthers got the penalty in injury time and decided to hit it with his instep leaning back at the same time, resulting in missing the crossbar by a good couple of yards.

Daniel Johnson didn't really get into the game, although they kept a tight watch on him.  Carruthers did some good work but much of the Villa play was too much one man stuff with a long ball up to two small front men who the No.5 of Sheffield had in his back pocket.

Derrick Williams looked ok at the back and Jordan Graham showed real potential when he came on, although when he hit a 40 yard pass from the left out to the right and expected the Villa player to be Usain Bolt to reach it as shown by his gesticulations was a bit OTT in my opinion.

Saw the Doncaster Rovers manager (forget his name) before the match, presumably looking to see if any of them were worth loan deals next year.  With the exception of the ones I have mentioned, and doubtful about those, I don't think he would have been too impressed by what he saw in Claret and Blue.

Thanks fred, good stuff. Did Elaine go?

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »
Yes, Perc.  She went as well, wasn't too impressed but felt sorry for the keeper when he got sent off!

Forgot to mention that, but the ref indicated with both arms across his chest "no foul" then looked at linesman who was indicating penalty so he gave it and sent our lad off.  It was up the other end of the field from where we were sat so couldn't see exactly what happened.

Also their captain got booked for taking his shirt off when he scored the penalty and then got sent off when he got involved in a bit of a scrap towards the end when tempers were getting a bit frayed.  Don't know if he will miss the final or just a league match, but if it is the final he will remember not to take his shirt off again!!

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
Disappointing display from our lads.

My assessment of the lads would go as follows:

Barrett -next to nothing to do. Very unlucky to be sent off.

Nelson-Addy -played out of position at right-back; looks a better midfield player.

Jenkins -played out of position; made a decent fist of it.

Williams -good player, strong in the air and likes to bring the ball out, though no Ciaran Clark.

Ciara -not much cop.

Robinson -nice touch and didn't look out of pace amongst older players.

Johnson -lovely, blaanced, two-footed player; faded afetr a good start.

Carruthers -good touch but a little slow off the mark.

Cameron -like Johnson faded after the opening half-hour.

Drennan -the new Luke Moore ie sulks when things aren't going his way.

Connor Taylor -the new Tommy Johnson; can't make up my mind whether he's a world-beater or rubbish; probably the latter.

Jordan Graham -Get that Premier shirt-number ready. Easily the best player on the pitch, just needs to learn how to cross the ball with some 'whip'.

Graeme Burke -nice le3ft foot and a good finisher; got a chance.

Any thoughts?

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
Yep DCDC agree with you on this.

Living "up north" only got to see them at Leeds and this match.  As I have said I was disappointed in both games at the level of ability throughout the team.  Apart from the odd ones already mentioned, I expected that the overall standard would be higher.  Was disappointed in the fact that Sheff Utd seemed much sharper in their passing and movement than us, one thing I thought that as PL juniors they would be good at.

Agreed about Jordan Graham, although only on the 45 minutes, he certainly stood out.  The thing that worried me was his hand signals and gestures to the others when they didn't get on the end of his passes, just hope it's not the first signs of "I am good, I am".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal