collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Reading replica shirt pay-out  (Read 7183 times)

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
0% Villa - Reading replica shirt pay-out
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »
Just stumbled upon an article about this on the Corriere della Sera website, which also provides a link to an article on a local website. In summary, a lad bought a Reading shirt with his birthday money and also paid to have the name 'Sigurdsson' on the back. However, within a few months, the player had been sold to Hoffenheim. His father then contacted the club and asked for a re-fund, which was refused, so he started a small claim and 'argued the club had indicated he [the player] would stay'.

The club settled out of court, paying him £72, including court costs. The club's reasoning behind settling was the following:

'Club spokesman Craig Mortimer said: “We only settled because the hearing was right up in Middlesbrough and frankly for the time and effort it would take to get up there, it was far more logical to settle.”'

They settled out of court, so I'm presuming that no legal precedent has been set; not being an expert in these matters, but it does beg the question as to whether it could turn into something clubs will have to seriously consider. Suppose Reading had not settled out of court and lost the case. How many potential small claims would clubs up and down the country be facing?

What does everyone think?

Local article in full, here:

Royals’ replica shirt pay-out
Alan Bunce
March 08, 2011
getreading.co.uk

Corriere della Sera article, here:

Compra la maglia del suo idolo, ma viene ceduto. Fa causa alla squadra
Francesco Tortora
March 10, 2011
corriere.it

Offline WikiVilla

Re: 0% Villa - Reading replica shirt pay-out
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »
A far worse crime IMO would be say a club launching & Selling a 3rd kit and then never actually wearing it ?

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:22 AM »
Pretty certain that it sets no precedent. It might take one of the clubs to take it to court if a few people cotton on.

I never understood putting players names on (unless it was a heritage thing) as they come and go all the time now and after all, it is the club we support-not the player.

Good marketing gimmick that makes loads of money so £72 here and there is small beans.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
Shit happens - has anyone seen Sidwell on the back of Villa shirt ? !

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
Or Ireland.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »
I wouldn't have a players name on the back of my shirt for the simple reason that the player will end up at another team eventually.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »

I'm going to sue Smithy for the money I spent on a Milner/Che Guevara t-shirt.

Neither of whom are Villa players anymore

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
So....if I buy a Young shirt.....

It means im a plonker.

The guy (dad) was interviewed on Radio 5 yesterday and started by saying it was all about the money his poor lad had forked out (from his birthday).  But finished by saying that it wasnt about the money, it was about the principal.  While I feel sorry for the lad, he has learnt two important life lessons.  1.  Shit happens.  2.  Your Dad (who told him to get that particular shirt) is not always right.  I suggest the lad gets down the Villa, (more local than Reading) and buy a 1982 replica shit with his cash.  That son, is timeless.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
Nearly as bad as the geordie dimwit who had a picture of Andy Cole tattooed on his legs 2 days before he went to man utd.

Even worse was the fact he had had the letters "black flash" underneath but the tattooist was a bit shit and it looked like black flask....

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
Nearly as bad as the geordie dimwit who had a picture of Andy Cole tattooed on his legs 2 days before he went to man utd.

Even worse was the fact he had had the letters "black flash" underneath but the tattooist was a bit shit and it looked like black flask....
Brilliant...

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
Didn't a red scouse fan do just the same with Torres?

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »
There's a bloke in the lower Holte with Ireland on the back of his shirt.  Now considering the shirt only came out in November, when we knew he was shite, makes it even more bizarre. Perhaps that's the blokes surname too?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:15 PM »
There's a bloke in the lower Holte with Ireland on the back of his shirt.  Now considering the shirt only came out in November, when we knew he was shite, makes it even more bizarre. Perhaps that's the blokes surname too?
Maybe he just asked for an Ireland shirt for xmas and someone didn't realise he just meant a green one.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »
You seriously don't expect the club to give a refund to fans who bought the shirt with a players name on the back, who was a club player at the time of printing ?

Go retro or ' 1 .... 8 .... Blues' !!

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
We were in the club shop yesterday & one of the floor assistants was egging my 7 year old to pick a home shirt.  I went all frugal Victorian dad & suggested he waits for the summer for at least the same shirt without FXPro scrawlled across the front, at which point the assitant went into sales overdrive.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal