collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Young Happy To Keep Taking Penalties  (Read 13588 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Young Happy To Keep Taking Penalties
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:07:05 AM »
...and no doubt corners, free-kicks and whatever else the scamp might fancy.

From the Pravsters:

By Paul Brown

Ashley Young insists he won't shirk his spot-kick responsibilities despite missing against Bolton - although he admits Darren Bent could step forward for the next penalty.

Young says he has the "strong character" to bounce back from his penalty pain against the Trotters.

The second striker will step forward - unless he's persuaded otherwise by Villa's record signing.

He said: "People may talk about the delay before I took it or their goalkeeper encouraging me to hit it to his right but I wasn't even aware he was doing that. I was totally focused on the penalty.

"The last few I have taken I haven't even looked at the goalkeeper before hitting it. It's been head-down.

"With this one, I stepped up and just hit it the way that I have done with the others I have scored previously.

"It was one of those things. I haven't seen it back. I don't know if it was a poor penalty or he made a good save. I have missed it and I will get over it and focus now.

"I am a strong character. I won't dwell on the penalty miss. I have scored penalties and I have missed some too - and I have always bounced back from them.

"I won't let it get me down and it won't stop me taking another. I definitely will take another.

"I am sure Benty will have his say on the next one. We will have to wait and see.

"Let's see how kind I'm feeling when the next one comes along. I'll see if I let him take it or not."

Young says he will bounce back from the penalty - and he backed the team to come roaring back following the defeat.

The star performer admits there was shock as the players walked off the pitch after the 3-2 defeat because of the amount of chances they created in the game.

He added: "It was incredible to think we lost that game. There was deep disappointment from everyone involved.

"We created so many chances and on another occasion we would have scored four or five goals. But it wasn't to be.

"We were just so frustrated walking off the pitch having lost the game. I was obviously even more frustrated, having missed the penalty when we were two-one up.

"If I had scored, it would have been a totally different game and at two goals ahead we would have been cruising. But it wasn't to be.

"We created chances after it too before they got those two killer goals. We just need to pick ourselves up now and take it into the next game.

"The team will bounce back from the defeat. We have some big personalities and real character in the dressing room. We have bounced back before and we will do it again.

"We have the strength, character and attitude to come roaring back. I thought there were plenty of positives to take from the game. We need to take those into the Wolves match."

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Young Happy To Keep Taking Penalties
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:18:20 AM »
He usually scores with the penalties.

(thank god it's the middle of the night and there won't be many replies...yet)

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:10 AM »
He seems to be running the whole show. When is Houllier going to take a grip and let someone else take free kicks and Bent on penalties ?? Free kicks on the edge of the box are a joke. Downing is much better and effective ....

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
He's like the spoiled kid in the playground who'll take his ball home with him unless he gets to do everything.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:43:05 AM »
I can't remember the last time Young actually scored from a free-kick. As for the penalty at Bolton, it was a carbon copy of the one the week before v Blackburn. Unfortunately for us their keeper had done his homework.

Offline eastie

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »
I think young has missed at least 3 out of about 8 which is a really poor penalty record- take him off the job.

Offline davevillan

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:08:25 AM »
I can't remember the last time Young actually scored from a free-kick. As for the penalty at Bolton, it was a carbon copy of the one the week before v Blackburn. Unfortunately for us their keeper had done his homework.
Bolton at home i think?

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:42 AM »
Bolton at home i think?
The point is it's not a very high success (or accuracy) rate is it?

He should be banned from penalties, free kicks and those awful corners that always find the first opposition player in the box.

Offline AVMonty

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »
If Young put as much effort into his free kicks, corners etc, as he does diving and waving his skinny little arms in air the at the ref, he'd be a world beater. But he is not.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
I'd like to see Bent on pens now & it would be nice to see Downing / Albrighton get a look in at free-kicks

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:19 AM »
I think what he has said is very positive. It is very much a mind game and he is a good-but not great penalty taker. Bent has missed a few as well and provided it is not Petrov we should leave it to the players, manager or captain to decide.
BTW, the technique of only looking at the ball was something I learned from a team mate who never, ever missed. Once I stopped looking at the goal I scored every penalty I took.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
He'll probably only have one or two to take before he fucks off in the summer.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »
I would like Darren Bent to be on penalty duties and lets have a change on free kick takers give the opposition something to think about.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
Don't care whether you're happy to continue or not Ash, you aint that good at them and it shouldn't be your decision.

I can just imagine if he effs off in the summer, first game of the season we'll get a corner or free kick and all our players will just stand around looking bemused and scratching their heads for a few minutes until it dawns on them that someone has to take it.  And then we'll probably score from it.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
Who cares if he's happy or not? Just get someone instead of this spoiled brat to take them and perhaps get some in the net.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal