collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Has Houllier changed our club for the better?  (Read 66213 times)

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
Re: Houllier has changed club for the better
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
There is a lot of positivity off the field but counts for nothing if we go down.  I'm praying we have enough in the tank to stay up and hopefully we'll begin to reap the benefits of GD's work next year.  If things haven't improved by Xmas I think he'll struggle to win over the fans.

Agreed. I am turning a deaf ear to all this 'he is transforming the club' PR until we are safe from relegation. Formations are irrelevant if the '4' cannot defend set pieces.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 02:04:18 PM »
The only sentance in the article that means anything is the last one.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
he's changed quite a lot at the club, behind the scenes and on the pitch,
we are going in a different footballing direction now, and the results of this can't be seen just yet, but i think its we are moving in the right direction [and i dont mean down the league]

the FA cup was a massive mistake, and one where i canot see any excuses,

but i believe in his football phylosophy so i think we'l be OK in the longterm, for those who dont then i can understand the frustration.

everyone has there own view on what they want out of there football team, and just to say 'a winning team' is not good enough, with our resourses we cannot compete at the very top level yet,

so we have to buy into a plan, that plan is Houlliers at the moment and i have to admit i like it, but its not bringing in results as quick as we would like just yet, and so we have a choice, if Houllier is the right man we need patience, if he's not we need to get rid, obviously i would rather we stuck with him, but there are no gurantees in football either way.

i do understand the anger and frustratrtion by those who dont like Houlliers style, i know we all say, we must support the team no matter what, but i would not bother going if we had someone like Alladyce as the manager, obviously i would always support Villa but i couldnt put up with that sort of football, so i would just moan and complain untill he went

so i cant say to others they must back the manager if they just dont like him or his style.

under MON we finished 6th 3 times in a row, and it got worse after every year for me, untill in the end i was quite glad he went, the league possision was good but the enjoyment level was low, and we even went to wembley twice,

so my answer to the thread quetion would be,
 difficult to say Yes right now, but really believe he will

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
he's changed quite a lot at the club, behind the scenes

While Nero fiddled Rome burned

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »

Ah, but that's a myth.
Nero is believed to have helped fight the fire.

Mad as a March hare, mind.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
The thing for me is that we'd probably be playing a similar brand of football with similarly shit results if we'd appointed somebody like Zola or Tony Mowbray.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »

Ah, but that's a myth.
Nero is believed to have helped fight the fire.

Mad as a March hare, mind.
also had his mother executed. Pleasant chap

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
The thing for me is that we'd probably be playing a similar brand of football with similarly shit results if we'd appointed somebody like Zola or Tony Mowbray.

Absolutely. It's hard to imagine anybody could have done much worse than Houllier considering the resources at his disposal.

Offline john e

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »

yeah but you just cut my quote sentance mid way through, it read 'behind the scenes and on the pitch'
thats bad form my friend

you might not like the way we are playing or the style in which we are trying to play, but i see definite reasons to be cheerfull.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »
The results on the field in terms of winning football matches are abysmal

You can try as hard as you like putting a positive spin on that, but right now, we are sat precariously and must beat Wolves which will be far from easy

Offline john e

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »
The results on the field in terms of winning football matches are abysmal

You can try as hard as you like putting a positive spin on that, but right now, we are sat precariously and must beat Wolves which will be far from easy

i'm not really trying to put a possitive spin on it, theres no reason why i should, thats just the way i feel about Houllier and what he's done so far,
we all differ in our views, its sometimes difficult to argue right and wrong

you dont like Houllier,i do, you think we will go down, i dont, theres nothing wrong with any of that,
you would probably be far happier if we had Alladyce in charge and be sitting with an extra 4 points on the table, i wouldnt

we will just have to wait and see what happens, only time will tell

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
For the record, I admired Allardyce's work at Bolton during the Okocha years, but not a fan since.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
I believe that we will struggle in the final games to accrue the minimum 10 points we will need - many of our opponents having got some forward momentum in their last few games - and the Citeh / Bolton debacle has put our psychological state back somewhat.
My 'take' on the Hou is that he is here for the medium / long-term because I suspect RL sees him having a positive impact throughout the club and particularly with regard to bringing on the youngsters at a time when funding is unlikely to be massively forthcoming.
So, for Meanwood, WikiV, PComben, UsualS, Risso and others: what other palatable options were there when Hou arrived? - I cannot be arsed to go back into the posts to see what was being said about other candidates but the ones I remember being hawked around were Sven and Curbishley. I honestly cannot see that any other options would have fared much better (other than perhaps not getting us knocked out of the FA Cup, which I accept was a major error of judgement).
I'm not an apologist for Hou but I do think he was dealt a bad hand and is trying hard to do something with it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
Man City for a start was definitely not "trying hard".  It was abject defeatism.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
Man City for a start was definitely not "trying hard".  It was abject defeatism.
I already acknowledge that it was a massive error of judgement.
He took a brave / foolish decision which backfired 'cos we could not take the chances / stem the flow of conceded goals on Saturday. Agreed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal