collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Has Houllier changed our club for the better?  (Read 66514 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Houllier has changed club for the better
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:14:57 AM »
So the gist of the article is that a nice man treated James Nursey to nice food and nice drink and he's all of a sudden saying nice things about him?

It started before that with Nursey, it has been very noticeable.

Someone needs to get Oliver Holt up Broad Street and spike his WKD.

No, I'd rather smash it upside his fat mug.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
So the gist of the article is that a nice man treated James Nursey to nice food and nice drink and he's all of a sudden saying nice things about him?

It works with me every time.
A bag of Scratchings and some gloopy Belgian cack normally gets you on side.

To be honest, either/or will do.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »
It's just a real shame it takes this kind of schmoozing to keep journalists onside and to make them write nice things about you. Are there any football journalists out there with genuine integrity?

Talking of the Villa rebuilding job, I read an article on a Leeds forum a while back about the job Revie did building Leeds into that great side of the sixties.  There were certain parallels with what we have going on now at Villa: the blooding of a swathe of youngsters, a mixed bag of results on the pitch and patience from the boardroom all being factors.  It took Revie a good twenty-four months to see genuine progress and the first green shoots of recovery.

In the position we find ourselves in, great patience is required, allied to positivity and a total backing of the Villa staff.  if we get this right it will be worth it.  The fact that GH doesn't have to lumber himself with a managerial job at this stage in his life must surely say a lot about his character, ambition and vision for Villa?  He said the other day (on AVTV) that he had no doubts at all that the Villa side he will build will win trophies.  He must see the potential of what we have and it must genuinely fire him up. 

As I say, it's a shame he has to butter up a whole load of hacks in order to allow himself a fair crack of the whip - it's an aspect of the modern game that stinks.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »
Despite his flaws, I like the way he tries to play football.

3 seasons is what he needs, as with any manager (providing we don't get relegated)

I think so too, I think in the medium to long term he could be very good for the club as he seems to have the right philsophies.  I just wish he seemed more able to solve our immediate problems like defending set pieces and giving away stoppage time goals, both of which are driving me up the wall this season, and have stopped us pulling clear of the relegation scrap like we should have. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
The article sounded a bit dubious but the mention of spending Thursdays and Fridays practicing set-pieces gave the game away. GHou  must have pictures of Nursery suspended upside down with an orange in his mouth and a feather duster up his arse.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »
The difference to Don Revie is that I don't think we needed a 'rebuilding job' after establishing ourselves in the top 6.  OK, his philosophy on football and style of play needs time to work it's way through to the players, but he had a good squad to work with already.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
Schmoozing reporters is one thing, getting results on the field another, and we need them fast

I'm sure there were lovely words written about our play at The Reebok, but the stat at the top of the report still read BOLTON 3 - 2 VILLA

Offline myf

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
There is a lot of positivity off the field but counts for nothing if we go down.  I'm praying we have enough in the tank to stay up and hopefully we'll begin to reap the benefits of GD's work next year.  If things haven't improved by Xmas I think he'll struggle to win over the fans.

Does anyone know if Pires drives a Bentley?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 12:56:19 PM »
The difference to Don Revie is that I don't think we needed a 'rebuilding job' after establishing ourselves in the top 6.  OK, his philosophy on football and style of play needs time to work it's way through to the players, but he had a good squad to work with already.

A good squad - or should I say a good first 11, for Martin O'Neill's philosophy of football.  MON and GH are pretty different characters to say the least.  I've got to admit I was hoping the transition would be smoother myself.  But we are where we are.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
This "playing nice football but the defence is shit" business?  Isn't this what people accused Albion of when anybody dared question O'neill's style of football?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
I don't think it's nice football v shit defence.  It's nice football v winning football.

At this stage of our 'French revolution' we've had to make that choice.  Houllier will be a success if and when we don't have to.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
He inherited a top 6 team less one player. He's been backed with a lot of money in his one transfer window. We're out of both cups and 2 points off relegation with 9 games to go, am I missing something here? He's been a pretty much unmitigated disaster. The comment about him being sure we would win things was a couple of days before he jacked in the FA cup. I don't believe any of this "vision for the future" bollocks. As I recall a Champions League place was always the target when Gregory was boss. Well I couldn't see it happening then and I can't see it happening now.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 01:43:12 PM »
He inherited a top 6 team less one player. He's been backed with a lot of money in his one transfer window. We're out of both cups and 2 points off relegation with 9 games to go, am I missing something here? He's been a pretty much unmitigated disaster. The comment about him being sure we would win things was a couple of days before he jacked in the FA cup. I don't believe any of this "vision for the future" bollocks. As I recall a Champions League place was always the target when Gregory was boss. Well I couldn't see it happening then and I can't see it happening now.

Agree completely.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »

hard to argue

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »

Agree completely.

Agree entirely

A panicked and rash appointment

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal