collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watching Other team's Attacking  (Read 2787 times)

Offline peter w

Watching Other team's Attacking
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
and the way that the top teams play you can see why we're still a distance away from having a top side. Without concentrating too much on individuals but looking at styles the very best best teams also look to pass through the middle of teams. when sides like Milan play well they can pass through good sides before having a go at goal. They don't have to try to score from 30 yards because they're good enough t o get closer. The very best teams try and do that. The best exponents of the game in England are arguably Arsenal  and they play that very same way. draw the players and pass through defence. yes they have Walcott but he is rare starter when fit, and when he is in his best form the Arsenal way of playing doesn't change.

Its quite rare nowadays to see sides who play with wingers have great success at very top end. Unless you're a team that has a wide player of the very highest calibre like Beckham/Giggs at Man U and Bale at Tottenham - and this is where individuals have to shine as high as any other in the team - then you will never hit those high standards again. Does this Villa team have that one player that can stand out in a wide position every week and is usually the best player week in week out?

We haven't just yet and its arguable whether Albrighton can be that player. he's had a great first season - first full season - and has earned his place through merit. That is saying a lot for a young player in a wide position - a position where evrything you do is expected to create a chance of scoring or acrtually scoring. Its a tough pressurised position and Albrighton has done brilliantly. If he continues like that then he has a great chance, as do we. if he hits the second season syndrome then all bets are off. And do we as a team/club have the patience for a young wide player not producing when we expect victory every week?

So, its going to be difficult for us. I thing the one thing you can say is that we are now playing with a man in the hole. If he is the right man or not is a different question, but it does show that the management have recognised that the way to be able to beat the very best is to usually play like the very best. If we get a team that try and play the ball through the centre of the defence, coupled with a top performing wideman, then we will have a very good team on our hands. Thing is, how long do we give them?

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Watching Other team's Attacking
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:50:29 PM »
I know exactly what you're saying. When that approach works it cuts lesser teams to shreds. Very impressive.

And yet Barca could have easily found themselves eliminated because of their reluctance to simplify their attacks. Milan also tried to walk the ball in and came up against an eighteen yerd box with eight players in it. Please tell me I wasn't the only one who was watching Barca last night and thinking whenever Messi, Iniesta or Alves got within shooting range, 'Just twat it!'

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »
And yet, Peter, Milan were unable to unlock the Spurrrrrs team tonight. A Spurrrrrs team that, incidentally, won the tie playing with wingers.
Having said that, I agree with your overall thesis here. I would like to see Villa play with three midfielders tucked in (to avoid the situation we've had over the last 2-3 seasons where teams have driven through our soft centre) and either 1 x winger plus 2 x front men or 2 x winger and 1 x frontman ahead of them.
That's where Hou is headed I think, but as you say he needs the quality players to do it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:21:59 AM by EffDee »

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:32:46 AM »
Good stuff Peter. There are different ways of playing the game. There are 2 things that make a great team how they react without the ball and what they do with it. When Arsenal had Rocastle Davis Thomas they used to swarm the player on the ball and win it back quickly, just like Barca did to them.
I can not remember a modern day team that is succesfull with 2 wingers. Our best team had one winger and an attacking full back on the other side of the pitch.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:57:01 AM »
Barca attack through the middle or confine their attacks to the width of the 18 yd area. However they inevitably break through due to movement of their players in that area. Whilst the ball always travels forward a few yards at a time all their movement is from left to right and right to left. This is the movement that makes it very difficult for opposing teams. Poor or average teams are static. Most of the time you witness that at Villa Park. Too often our players are static so they are not creating problems for the opposition off the ball. One of the reason is that player with the ball is NOT TRUSTED to deliver it accurately.  Movement can happen but players are not going to run around if they know that an effective pass is unlikely to be delivered.
So it's simple we need better players!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
Good post Peter i like to think we can be like that one day in the not too distance future i reckon with the players we have and add a few more quality players then i can see us playing that way.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
Think Downings goal on the break was as good as you will see any where ........

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal