collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa the potential English version of Barcelona!!  (Read 15006 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Villa the potential English version of Barcelona!!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
That Liverpool fan was misinformed, Houllier transformed there club into a top 4 club, Benitez wrecked tge club from top to bottom,

Houllier has been quoted as saying Villa have the best young players he has ever worked with.

They finished top 4 (and higher) under Roy Evans.

Houllier outspent every side in the division (including Man U) and couldn't improve on that.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect it's wishful thinking.  If any of them did turn out to be the next Messi, Henry, McGrath or even Wilshere...we wouldn't have them for long.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »
You're probably right Sexwhale, the cream of the crop will be sold off, but for big money and in the meantime we'll benefit from ability.

The fact they may be sold is hardly reason to not try and develop the best youth possible.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:49 PM »
I watch plenty of clubs at that age and level. Gary Gardner is light years above the lot without a doubt.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:46 PM »
But would you like to see us sell a 30 millions pounds player every season. That mean we got the talent and talent production line.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
It's a very tricky task to bring through so many young players and keep them all involved and all happy. At some point they all want regular football and the manager has to make sure that they don't start thinking that they might have a better chance of getting that elsewhere. Gerard has shown that he's not afraid to rotate so we have a better chance of doing that than under his predecessor but it take long term planning.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 08:29:41 PM »
Right or wrong, virtually every decision Houllier has made so far has appeared to be for the long term good of Villa rather than his reputation and arguably the league position for this season.

With that philosophy - which may have been imposed from randy - I think the kids will be well looked after at villa.

Offline peter w

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »
I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect it's wishful thinking.  If any of them did turn out to be the next Messi, Henry, McGrath or even Wilshere...we wouldn't have them for long.

The thing is in terms of the best players we are a selling club. Most clubs are. There are only a few clubs in the world that don't have to worry about losing their best player(s). Its what we can do whilst we have those players in the team. If they start winning together then the side can only strengthen with better quality additions. If it doesn't work we just keep trying.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »

If this happened I would then begin to ask, "What is the point?" 

At some point we have actually got to show the ambition that we want to be the very best club around and to win the biggest prizes once more.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:44 PM »
I think if things had been a bit different this season, Maybe a couple or three less injuries, maybe 3 or 4 points more, pretty much where we were 90% sure we were not going down. And I dont mean just now I mean back in December when it really went wrong, it could have been a lot different. These kids would have been playing in a confident team not scratching for points. I think that would have made a big big difference. But fair play to GH for playing them

Offline cdward

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
Or are we just bringing the younger players through to the first team quicker, because it is cheaper than buying players and paying them big money contracts, enabling us to sell off the high earners,  therefore maximising profits and AVFC the franchise is successful.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 11:56:22 PM »
Or are we just bringing the younger players through to the first team quicker, because it is cheaper than buying players and paying them big money contracts, enabling us to sell off the high earners,  therefore maximising profits and AVFC the franchise is successful.

nah I dont think thats the case at all

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 12:25:26 AM »
It would be marvellous if the youngsters were to reach the heights we all hope but we've had good youth teams and players more often than not and few if any of them have lived up to the hype generated in their teen years. I really want to be wrong but history indicates otherwise.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 01:00:15 AM »
I still reckon Graham Fenton will be the new Gary Shaw.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 02:15:59 AM »
Gareth Farrelly the new Dennis Mortimer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal