collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa the potential English version of Barcelona!!  (Read 15008 times)

Offline Gaztonniller

Villa the potential English version of Barcelona!!
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
Came across this article. Maybe its just jumping on the Barcelona wagon but would you agree or disagree with the writer; http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/aston-villa-will-soon-be And where do you find a Messi type?

Offline richardhubbard

Re: Villa the potential English version of Barcelona!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
Its very exciting I hope they all make it

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
Interesting what the Man U fan said about Barry Bannan.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
More interesting what the Liverpool fan had to say about Houllier.

The comments on James McArthy are interesting as I never heard anything about him joining us. Why would MoN reject him on the basis that he had no premier league experience? He played in the same league as Cuellar, Petrov and Agathe and it didn't stop us signing them. Mind if Wigan go down I'd love to sign him though he is like Bannan in a lot of ways. The boy will go to the top and I for one am dreadfully disappointed that he decided to play for Ireland because those in the youth set up for Scotland were too myopic to give him a go.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »
Interesting what the Man U fan said about Barry Bannan.

Yep my mates a Man U season ticket holder watches the reserves games etc and said a lot of united fans have been saying how well Bannans been playing

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
Before people say dont get too excited by the 'youth' I would say this season its the only thing to get excited about. Agree with most of that article another couple of names Daniel Devine a giant centre half can see him and Clark playing for Ireland for years also Jack Grealish along with Jordan Graham the most promising youngsters at Bodymoor Heath. Its all good.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Compelling argument indeed! If it comes off half as well as that it'd be one of our better sides ever, to be honest, so here's hoping!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
I hope they come through and perform brilliantly nothing would make me more proud than if these lads make a big impact at the Villa which i really hope they do.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
Not really a compelling argument at all.

Comes across as two parts factual, 98 parts wishful thinking, interspersed with mind-bending narcotics.

I do think Bannan - in the right set-up- could be a very special player and Albrighton might be in and around the England set up in the not-too-distant. I haven't seen enough of Gardner but I trust the opinion of those who have, and it's encouraging that at such a young age he already has height and a strong physical frame -to go with his undoubted talent. We might not always like it, but physical attributes still play a crucial part of the English game.

Overall, I'd say our set up is closer to Espanyol or Real Sociedad, in so far as we are capable of producing two/three players fit for the first team every few years and others decent enough to ensure that the Acadamy at least justifies the costs. Rather than comparing us to one of the best teams in the world - indeed a side who will probably go down in history as the greatest ever.

That's just crack talk.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
So, we've got the new McGrath, Messi and Henry in the team.  Awesome!

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
I think the actual Barcelona comparison is meant as eye-catching tongue-in-cheekery. I meant the argument that we can achieve success built around the youth system is compelling.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
We got lot of potential, and if we could poach the cream of French Youth from French Footballing Academy in GH's previous job and develop the team for long term and we could be the choice for top english and french young players to join. I would like us to hire a coach from Barcelona to enable us learn from the best and in 10 years time Barcelona will be looking at Aston Villa with envy.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
in 10 years time Barcelona will be looking at Aston Villa with envy.

To borrow a phrase, that's just crack talk.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
That Liverpool fan was misinformed, Houllier transformed there club into a top 4 club, Benitez wrecked tge club from top to bottom,

Houllier has been quoted as saying Villa have the best young players he has ever worked with.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »
I think it's a case of priorities.

Unless you have a special crop, as per Man U mid 90's or Leeds (or even West Ham) early noughties, a whole rake of young players coming through the ranks and establishing themselves in the first XI is unrealistic.

Or would we accept not competing, content to finish 6-16th (or GH's very own 7-12) year on year, providing most of the side is homegrown?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal