collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa. Another bizarre red card  (Read 16423 times)

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
Re: 0% Villa. Another bizarre red card
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 01:39:05 AM »
I couldn't see that video so had to look at the youtube version instead.
The first comment below was:

"I wouldn't shed too many tears for Ashley Vickers, he's a low-life thug who should have been sent off a hundred more times in his career for foul play. He's currently banned from most of Dorchester's pubs, along with three other players, for an "incident" at the club's Christmas Party at Wetherspoons. A thoroughly honourable and nice guy, not."

Offline davevillan

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
Back to the Mankini incident - the player has escaped a ban. The red card stands but due to "exceptional circumstances" the FA have let him off with the ban. Beeb story

So the FA can stop a player from getting a ban following a red card - even though the referee has seen it and deemed it the correct action. However they can't punish Wayne Rooney?
There seems to be a large grey area there tbh VSM.  The player put the ref in an impossible position, damned if you do, damned if you dont...people go on about refs using common sense, but players constantly do things that put refs in a position of having to make a decision. Its about time players started using common sense, as ive said before, this was in a semi-pro league thats run in a professional manner, and the player shouldnt have got involved.
I think what they've done in both this and the Rooney incident is not to over-rule the ref, but in this case a send -off is deemed as sufficient punishment.
Dave-thanks for standing up for refs, as i have mates who have been on the panel in the past and also currently are on the panel. It shows you understand more then most!

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »
What annoys me is the slating referee's and linesmen get from commentators at offside decisions etc. Its all well and good saying what they think from the benefit of 3 replays
And this is probably the single biggest reason I've fallen out of love with the game in general and my love for all things Villa is also waning.

When it comes to the "common sense" issue that commentators desperately call for, two or three lower-league referees have clearly demonstrated here that often they can't apply that for the reasons given. What disappoints me further is that ex-referees such as Dermot Gallagher actually do so little to argue the case for their ex-colleagues and explain the situation they're put in, instead choosing to take the broadcaster's money and join the controversial commentators' criticising of officials. Hmmm, lot of Cs there.

I've said it before but the broadcasters actually have little or no interest in the "right decision" being made. They need controversy. They lap it up and fill hours of tv and radio time discussing it. They need the officials to play the fall guys so they can continue to kiss the collective arse of the players and the clubs.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »
Back to the Mankini incident - the player has escaped a ban. The red card stands but due to "exceptional circumstances" the FA have let him off with the ban. Beeb story

So the FA can stop a player from getting a ban following a red card - even though the referee has seen it and deemed it the correct action. However they can't punish Wayne Rooney?
There seems to be a large grey area there tbh VSM.  The player put the ref in an impossible position, damned if you do, damned if you dont...people go on about refs using common sense, but players constantly do things that put refs in a position of having to make a decision. Its about time players started using common sense, as ive said before, this was in a semi-pro league thats run in a professional manner, and the player shouldnt have got involved.
I think what they've done in both this and the Rooney incident is not to over-rule the ref, but in this case a send -off is deemed as sufficient punishment.
Dave-thanks for standing up for refs, as i have mates who have been on the panel in the past and also currently are on the panel. It shows you understand more then most!

So what you are saying is that the regardless of whether the referee made the correct decision or not (which he most certainly didn't) that the FA should stand by him and his decision should stand?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »

I was one for a while! Had a problem with my right knee which meant I had to take a year off from playing so decided to take the courses (became a cricket umpire at the same time). Never reffed outside of Army games but you do see things from the other side. It made me realise how often I was completely wrong when arguing the toss with refs as well.

Offline AV1874

• GM : Jul, 2012
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »
I think every supporter should have a crack at the course then ref a few games just to get a feel of what it is like on the dark side.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 01:14:58 AM »
I think every supporter should have a crack at the course then ref a few games just to get a feel of what it is like on the dark side.

Exactly, I did it and it opens your eyes to many iffy decisions

Offline AV1874

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »
I've actually bought myself a pair of "spyglasses" which have a camera on them so I can get my view of the game and be able to replay it later on to review my angle, view of incidents, listen to whether I made the call, listen to what I said and analyse my game from my actual point of view.

I am hoping to get permission to test it on the trial local games in the next couple of weeks to see whether or not it is a useful tool to help improve my refereeing.

A lot of feedback comes from the sideline where people/coaches/assessors have the benefit of a wider view, this I want to watch with peers and assessors so that they can see exactly what I saw compared to what they saw.

Offline achilles

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
I've actually bought myself a pair of "spyglasses" which have a camera on them so I can get my view of the game and be able to replay it later on to review my angle, view of incidents, listen to whether I made the call, listen to what I said and analyse my game from my actual point of view.

I am hoping to get permission to test it on the trial local games in the next couple of weeks to see whether or not it is a useful tool to help improve my refereeing.

A lot of feedback comes from the sideline where people/coaches/assessors have the benefit of a wider view, this I want to watch with peers and assessors so that they can see exactly what I saw compared to what they saw.

Bloody hell, I just used to referee the games!

Offline AV1874

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
I am keen to improve as much as I can where my refereeing is concerned, no referee is perfect, no referee is beyond improvement.

At the moment I am training 3 odd times a week and one of those training sessions is practicing the FIFA fitness test for my national level two practical - I have completed the theory, I now just need to do the test and then complete two games of level two standard under an assessor.

There's a little bit more to some of us referees than meets the eye. :)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
There's a little bit more to some of us referees than meets the eye. :)

Didn't Andy Gray and Richard Keyes say something similar?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:46 AM »
I reffed a bit in some Wigan and St Helens five and six aside leagues, as well as in kids' leagues.  Never, ever again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal