collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa. Another bizarre red card  (Read 16511 times)

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
Re: 0% Villa. Another bizarre red card
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
You thought van Persie was harshly sent off?

I did. He's clearly hard of hearing, can't hear a whistle in a packed stadium, can't hear females saying no.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
I remember Leicester keeper Ian Walker getting into some bother from the authorities after tackling someone who invaded the pitch when we won 5-0 at the Walkers Stadium in January 2004, I don't think the ref sent him off though.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »

I did. He's clearly hard of hearing, can't hear a whistle in a packed stadium, can't hear females saying no.

Neither I nor Mr Wenger saw it!

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 02:38:01 PM »
So this is what Marouane Fellaini gets up to on his days off.

Offline luke25

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
I remember Leicester keeper Ian Walker getting into some bother from the authorities after tackling someone who invaded the pitch when we won 5-0 at the Walkers Stadium in January 2004, I don't think the ref sent him off though.
That was hilarious, the guy was huge and wobbled onto the pitch pointing and shouting only to get battered by Walker

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »

Van Persie's excuse is that being an Arsenal player, he is not used to noisy stadiums.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
The ref in question did'nt really use any common sense did he really.

He'll be refereeing in the Prem before you know it.

Offline AV1874

• GM : Jul, 2012
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 10:17:02 PM »
Referees are odious little twats who abuse their power.

LOL, I am an odious little twat then.

Law 18 didn't prevail here, the ref certainly caused himself more drama than not. In terms of exact application of the law he was bang on, however I would have acted differently.

What we don't know is whether he had an assessor in the stands who's views were such that he HAD to make that decision. Unfortunately when you are on your way up, you tend to be swayed towards refereeing to how the assessor sees the game to be refereed. Otherwise you will end up with a bad score and unlikely to progress. :(

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29:48 PM »
Referees are odious little twats who abuse their power.

LOL, I am an odious little twat then.

Law 18 didn't prevail here, the ref certainly caused himself more drama than not. In terms of exact application of the law he was bang on, however I would have acted differently.

What we don't know is whether he had an assessor in the stands who's views were such that he HAD to make that decision. Unfortunately when you are on your way up, you tend to be swayed towards refereeing to how the assessor sees the game to be refereed. Otherwise you will end up with a bad score and unlikely to progress. :(
I'm also an odius little twat. Refereeing is the most difficult thing i do. Pathetic amounts of abuse from players and pressure from peers. If the player was booked earlier then it may have been his very last warning and there wont be much he can do about it

Offline AV1874

• GM : Jul, 2012
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 10:34:07 PM »
I agree Alex, there's nothing worse than when there are other referees watching you. At least with spectators you are pretty secure in your mind that you definitely know the LOTG better than they do.

Interesting point about the warning, but would you have deemed that as a send off offence, the police were doing a great job in stopping the streaker (note sarcasm) and I bet the players were just wanting the guy off the pitch and for the game to get going.....?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:36:23 PM by AV1874 »

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
I always find spectators to be really frustrating, they can be as bad as players for mini referee's and really do try to throw you off. I actually had one player tell me he was a qualified ref and better, chuck the ball at my head on saturday!
Errrm, its difficult, its all well and good saying what i think now, but in the heat of the moment you dont have as much thinking time. I personally wouldnt but i see why he's done it by the law
What annoys me is the slating referee's and linesmen get from commentators at offside decisions etc. Its all well and good saying what they think from the benefit of 3 replays
Until you've reffed, and taken the abuse, no one will understand how it really feels in the middle and cant make rash judgements like calling them odius little twats and people who abuse their power..

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »
Are referees not allowed to use a bit of common sense?

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
He made a big mistake sending Van Persie off.

No he didn't.  He was sent off for two bookable offences, both of which were correct decisions.

Offline Willie Anderson

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 08:37:47 PM »
He made a big mistake sending Van Persie off.

No he didn't.  He was sent off for two bookable offences, both of which were correct decisions.

What was the second bookable offence? He kicked the ball goal-wards it hit the hoardings & bounced backed I can't see how any time was wasted other than the referee producing a red card.

As for the mankini incident why wasn't Brian Clough sent of for violent conduct when he hit the forest fan on the pitch?

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »

As for the mankini incident why wasn't Brian Clough sent of for violent conduct when he hit the forest fan on the pitch?

Because the ref didn't see it? And the player was only given a yellow card. It just happened to be his second.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal