collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 08:14:28 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:23 PM]

Tennis 2024 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 08:02:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Ferguson ignores media (and will doubtless get away with it)  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
bbc.co.uk

Sir Alex Ferguson refused to speak to media rights holders on Sunday following the game at Liverpool, which Manchester United lost 3-1.

The United manager did not talk to host broadcaster Sky Sports, radio rights holders TalkSport and the club's television channel MUTV.

His assistant Mike Phelan did not carry out his usual post-match engagements with the BBC.

The decision not to speak to the media was made before the game.

Should any of the media organisations complain to the Premier League, the governing body would be forced to act.

Ferguson has not given a post-match interview to the BBC since 2004 after a BBC Three documentary about his son Jason, who was then working as a football agent.

The Premier League was due to discuss Ferguson's BBC boycott, which is in contravention of its rules, late last year, but if any fines were imposed for his non-compliance they have yet to be made public.

However, it is believed no media organisation has ever lodged an official complaint over the issue.

United have lost their last two league games against Chelsea and Liverpool.

However, Ferguson's side remain top of the table but second-placed Arsenal are only three points behind with a game in hand.

Ferguson cancelled his pre-game briefing on Friday in protest at the coverage given to his post-match quotes at Chelsea on Tuesday for which the Football Association charged him with improper conduct .

His action was also prompted by the furore that surrounded Wayne Rooney's elbowing of Wigan's James McCarthy last weekend.

Ferguson said he had "feared the worst" when referee Martin Atkinson was appointed for the game at Stamford Bridge with Chelsea, which United lost 2-1 after leading at half-time.

He denies the charge and will have a personal hearing at a date no later than 25 March.

The Scot also has two matches of a four-game ban from last season hanging over him after remarks about referee Alan Wiley.

It is not yet known whether the media blackout will continue this week, with United set to Arsenal in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Saturday, although discussions are bound to take place behind the scenes.

However, defender Rio Ferdinand, who was not at Anfield because he is recovering from a calf injury, offered his opinion via social networking site Twitter.

"Bad result today, no excuses," he said.

Offline Pete Green

I wish the BBC would put a ban on any mention of Ferguson to be honest. And stop filling their programmes with endless close-ups of his reactions. He obviously hates you BBC, so why not reciprocate in some way?

Offline WikiVilla

It's gone too far for SAF now, he thinks he's bigger than the game.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
He thinks he's more important than the media. And I think I agree with him.

Ow, get me, so controversial

Offline TimTheVillain

Maybe Houllier should take the hint.

Offline The Man With A Stick

I wish the BBC would put a ban on any mention of Ferguson to be honest.

I'd go one better and refuse to show/mention Man United.  Blanket ban on all their games, including highlights.  The Glazers would soon have a word with him.  Sky/BBC/ESPN wouldn't have the bottle though.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
It's all too petty for me SAF should have let his players speak especially Ryan Giggs who broke the record for apperances.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
He is a ****** and the sooner something is done about him the better

Yes he has wona huge amount of trophies but if you took away the way the media have fawned over then, the way the FA have bottled it countless times in dealing with him and his awful players attitudes the way refereees have been intimidated etc - then you wonder if they had to play by the same rules as the rest of us how good would they have been

How many games should they have been reduced to 10 men just against us over the years?  then look at games against other teams - i bet the win rate would be significantly different if the correct decisions would have been made

Offline duvillain

He just really needs to be sorted. His manipulation of the meida and the authorities over the years has bordered on criminal. The one thing ill never forgive him for , was the boycott and complete lack of respect shown towards the F.A.Cup a few years ago and since then everyone has followed him , including you know who last week.
His teams have also shown no repect to ref's, all driven by him. Why shouldnt he speak to the media. Why are the F.A. EUFA, Premier league etc so scared of him, Because they are business's and UTD are the biggest Cash cow. Every decision a ref gives against them, they (the officials) have to think twice, because if they get it wrong , zero support from their bosses, and a right hammering from all fronts. I feel sorry for Clattenburg. And they f")ing knighted him, for services to Football. You must be joking. Any half decent manager could have won what he has won, with the resources they have had. Ron Saunders would have won 17 European Cups. Imagine, what would happen  if the Manager of  Walsall or such like tried 1% of what this tosser has got away with over the years.

Offline WikiVilla

He's a bully. Funny when he tried to take on Magnier & McManus then realise he'd bitten off a bit too much and had to back down
The BBC should make a stand

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
Re: 0% Villa - Ferguson ignores media (and will doubtless get away with it)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
Not sure we can criticise him for withdrawing from the FA Cup. At least he  didn't pretend to field a team.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
In his defence* he had no choice but to withdraw from the FA Cup - it was the FA pressurising him in to doing it to help with the World Cup 2006 bid.

*I now hate myself.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »
Not sure we can criticise him for withdrawing from the FA Cup. At least he  didn't pretend to field a team.

And we benfited that year by getting to the final playing the team who took their place as the "AXA Wild Card" in round 3.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
He is a nasty, vindictive bitter Scot who knows the FA / prem / sky need him more than he needs them

Cant remember the name of the mirror writer some years ago who wrote a piece that for once was not sychophantic and he took the hump - the reporter was banned from the training ground and never got to interview him again - i am sure that subsequently he lost his job. That was the start of him showing everyone the power he has. Everyone is shit scared of him. He even got rid of Bechkam when he was starting to be more news that the red faced ******.

Does anyone actually believe that Dowd bottled the Vidic sending off for fear of what the red faced wanker would say? Any other team and he would have walked

Look at his trite comments regarding the Rooney incident at Wigan - the man is a bully and a bastard and everyone in football is scared for their jobs to cross him

Just like politics - you dont tow the party line then you are gone

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:14:29 PM »
He thinks he's more important than the media. And I think I agree with him.

Ow, get me, so controversial

I've instructed my family not to comment on anything relating to Damon Green.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal